Newcastle 0 - 0 Metalist Kharkiv - 14/02/13 - post-match reaction from page 40

Dave

Well I would probably be pissed off at not having won this.. but I spent most of the match fuming at the bellend that threw a punch at me by the turnstiles. :( Idiot brigade was out in force, as usual for a cup game.

NUFC or Metalist fan?

Well I would probably be pissed off at not having won this.. but I spent most of the match fuming at the bellend that threw a punch at me by the turnstiles. :( Idiot brigade was out in force, as usual for a cup game.

NUFC or Metalist fan?

NUFC. A group of lads tried to push to the front of the queue as it was busy, most people said nothing but I asked them not to. One of them then proceeded to throw all sorts of insults in my direction ("Ugly, typical lass knows nowt about football, uurrgh you're wearing a hat" :lol: ) and pushed in anyway, only to be told by the turnstile operator that he was in the wrong queue as he wanted to pay cash. When I grinned and laughed at him he took a swing for me (I dodged and he knocked my hat onto the floor instead) while his mate did the same towards my lad before some random bloke intervened and dragged them both away.

The stewards on the inside saw the whole thing but just laughed it off and said they were drunk (they weren't particularly), which was disappointing.

Guest neesy111

We played ok, the thing that does me about the disallowed goals is that we might had seen them came out more in the 2nd half as it was clear to me they were happy with a draw.

Well I would probably be p*ssed off at not having won this.. but I spent most of the match fuming at the bellend that threw a punch at me by the turnstiles. :( Idiot brigade was out in force, as usual for a cup game.

NUFC or Metalist fan?

NUFC. A group of lads tried to push to the front of the queue as it was busy, most people said nothing but I asked them not to. One of them then proceeded to throw all sorts of insults in my direction ("Ugly, typical lass knows nowt about football, uurrgh you're wearing a hat" :lol: ) and pushed in anyway, only to be told by the turnstile operator that he was in the wrong queue as he wanted to pay cash. When I grinned and laughed at him he took a swing for me (I dodged and he knocked my hat onto the floor instead) while his mate did the same towards my lad before some random bloke intervened and dragged them both away.

The stewards on the inside saw the whole thing but just laughed it off and said they were drunk (they weren't particularly), which was disappointing.

Fucking hell man.

Thought Santon got caught out far too many times last night and his positioning was awful for most of the match.

He saves grace by his forward forays...

Tiote was excellent apart from two moments of madness, cabaye also showed a petulant side we knew existed but ignored through blind faith.

Good game, bad linesmen, should have strolled it.

Away goal and were through!

Well I would probably be p*ssed off at not having won this.. but I spent most of the match fuming at the bellend that threw a punch at me by the turnstiles. :( Idiot brigade was out in force, as usual for a cup game.

NUFC or Metalist fan?

f***ing hell man.

That's shit. I would report it to the club, surely they have cctv and could at least ban the idiots.

NUFC or Metalist fan?

f***ing hell man.

That's s***. I would report it to the club, surely they have cctv and could at least ban the idiots.

Along with the kids setting off the flares...

Saying that it was a hell of a lot more interesting watching all that then the fucking match

On the second 'goal', I think you're offside if any part of your body that can legitimately make contact with the ball is beyond the defender. Cisse's foot is just over that line, so although it's a very close call, he was off.

The first was onside, of course.

Cisse's foot was ahead of the last defenders foot however the last defender was leaning and the rest of his body was level with Cisse's foot.

Frustration is defined as: "The feeling of being upset or annoyed, especially because of the inability to change or achieve something." Consequently, it was Newcastle's inability to change two incorrect decisions by two assistant referees that left them frustrated and meant they depart for Kharkiv next week at a stalemate with opponents Metalist.

A bright start by both sides saw early chances fashioned on what promised to be a contrasting night of styles; Newcastle's French-themed physicality polarised by Metalist's South American-tinged intricacy.

Yet with just under half an hour gone, the first moment of controversy struck. A neat interchange on the left touchline with Moussa Sissoko and Gabriel Obertan saw the former clean through on goal. As he collected the ball and squared it for Papiss Cisse to bundle home, the assistant stood still with his flag in the air, much to the bemusement of Alan Pardew - replays showing Sissoko was onside by a considerable margin and that the goal was legitimate in its conception.

Move forward to the 71st minute and again a contestable call; admittedly far tighter than the first instance. This time it was Cisse who was adjudged to be offside from Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa's dangerous delivery.

While neither were the correct decision, it represented what was a difficult evening for young referee Tom Harald Hagen and his team. As personal skirmishes littered the field, what Metalist felt was rough housing, the Magpies perceived as play-acting; both having suitable evidence to cite in their respective cases.

Booed from the field at full-time, there was a look of nervousness amongst Hagen and his team as they departed - Alan Pardew gesturing towards one of his assistants that they had cost his side a two goal lead. Yet after the match, despite being frustrated, the 51-year-old remained somewhat diplomatic: "Both goals were onside. I thought the referee was excellent tonight, the rest of his game was sound. I thought it was a game played in a good spirit," he said.

He also shared sympathy with his striker. Often a jovial character, Cisse will leave the game frustrated he did not depart with at least one goal to his name. Missing a trio of good chances, culminating in a diving header in injury time, his exasperated expression echoed the feelings of many on Tyneside.

Ever the optimist, Pardew preferred to believe the flurry of missed chances and ruled out brace would elicit a positive response from the number 9 who took so effortlessly to the Premier League this time last year: "I genuinely felt like when decisions like that go against you you have fire in your belly. We'll take that into the second leg," he said.

Despite the controversial theme of the evening, credit must still go to Newcastle's opponents. Producing the kind of quality that explains why they sit highly amongst the Ukrainian Premier League, Metalist's unity was symbolised by their pre-match huddle and cemented by the neat interchanges found throughout the entire 90 minutes.

Having not played a competitive game since their last Europa League tie in early December, they looked sharp - Jonathan Cristaldo's first half header arguably their best chance of the evening.

With Pardew keen to praise the quality of his opposition, it was clear to see that the 1-1 draw Metalist had earned against Whitley Bay in a warm up game on Sunday was somewhat misleading. Pardew's opposite number was mutual in his admiration: "Newcastle is a very good team," coach Myron Markevych said. "I'm just wondering why Newcastle is not amongst the best 10."

Switching effortlessly between Ukrainian and English in his post match interview, Markevych displayed the same ease of transition that his team had on the pitch. Catching Newcastle on the break several times, Pardew must be wary of its presence in the second leg, with Metalist's nigh three-month hiatus easily serving as mitigation for why they could not find the net.

As both men looked to introduce substitutes, it was Newcastle's who had the greater impact. Sylvain Marveaux netted the club's last goal in the Europa League against Maritimo, and should have done better with a bouncing half volley inside the Metalist penalty box.

For the visitors, another pair of South Americans joined the fray in the shape of Jaja and Willian. With the latter not quite as impressive as his more well-known namesake, his biggest contribution was a rather embarrassing dive in the final throes of the evening. Hagen chose to book him for dramatics that strived to reach the level of amateur.

Rating his sides chances in the second leg at "50-50", Markevych felt he had witnessed an even encounter; a fair belief given the statistical breakdown. For Newcastle, they can take pride from the fact they more than matched a side who previously bested Bayer Leverkusen and finished top of their group.

Hinting that his side will look to adopt a more counter-attacking style when they visit the Ukraine next week, the tie now sits delicately poised like a chess match, something which was not lost on Pardew: "My next move is Pawn to Bishop four," he joked with a confused translator, proceeding to offer him a warm smile and a handshake. Still with many pieces to play, whether he will remain as chipper if his side depart the competition this time next week remains to be seen.

NUFC or Metalist fan?

Sorry to hear that, Jill.

Idiot brigade was out in full force like.  Ketsbaia and I had a load of them in front of us in Level 4 of the Leazes.  One opened a can within about 2 minutes of the match starting, which was eventually confiscated.  Kept standing up singing songs about his mates, rather than about Newcastle.  Had a go at everyone around him, "you's are all fucking boring cunts aren't yas?".  Just before HT they were all discussing going down the Bigg Market as they'd had enough.  Thankfully they didn't return in the second half.

Looked like loads of stewards went in the Strawberry Corner to find whoever had that flare as well.

Guest neesy111

That was one of the worst matchday experiences I've ever had. Shit seats, full of kids, shit match. Ended up changing seats from the east stand to the back of the Gallowgate at half-time to get away from the wannabe radgies.

I did exactly the same v Bruges. :lol:

I thought we were well worth the 2-0 victory we should have rightfully had.

You can't say "but they should have scored a couple here and there" - no they didn't; we managed to stop it or they shot wide. However, you CAN say "we should have had two", because they were both perfectly legitimate goals.

Very annoyed but also fairly pleased with what I thought was a decent performance. They had a bit of fire in their belly early on, but - not even considering the two goals they should have conceded - we broke them down over and over again. And, at the first sign of fatigue, we managed to turn the screw.

I'm really confident we'll go through. They've got nowt for us to fear.

Krul - 6. Some good stops. Absolutely s*** kicking which brought pressure on. Every f***ing game it's the same.

MYM - 8. I thought he was excellent. I was always confident if the ball was in the air, and he moved about the pitch nicely. Great cross for the second goal.

Taylor - 6. Unspectacular, but nothing horrendous.

Coloccini - 6. Same, really.

Santon - 5. Thought he was ineffective going forward and Marlos was all over him in the first half.

Cabaye - 7. Some excellent passing but faded.

Tiote - 10. He motored forward well and was a driving force in the Newcastle engine room.

Obertan - 4. One of his total horseshit performances tonight.

Sissoko - 8. Man of the match; brilliant close control, constantly brought players onto him which created space for Cisse, great running forward.

Jonas - 5. Ineffective for the most, besides the odd 'if in doubt, fall over and win a FK' trick.

Cisse - 7. The missed chances shouldn't even be being discussed. He scored two goals tonight.

Woah woah woah there. He was alright at best. Usual comical yellow card, some loose passes, still got a long way to go until he gets back to last season.

EDIT: There's a possibility of extreme sarcasm which I've missed here tbf.

Aye, if there is no sarcasm I must have watched another game. For me he was a 6,5 tops.

I still haven't seen the full Cisse offside on the TV.  By that I mean was he offside when the ball went through to Sissoko or was Sissoko offside anyway?

Neither were even close to offside at any stage, the lino call's that bad. :lol:

f*** me, and the lino was in the best possible position to see that there was no offside. Fixed. No doubt in my mind. That, or he was trolling. The worst part was that the c*** waited until Sissoko touched the ball before raising the flag. f*** off.

It was actually a beautiful move all around. Great ball from Obertan and excellent movement from both Sissoko and Cisse.