Newcastle 0 - 0 Metalist Kharkiv - 14/02/13 - post-match reaction from page 40

Dave

People also forget that they should have scored 2 goals in the first half when they cut us open.

But they didn't. We were the only team to have the ball in the net, and both times it was disallowed. At least one was completely wrong.

Just watched back the highlights:

Obertan drags shot wide

Krul saves with feet from tight angle

Cisse scores (disallowed)

Krul saves header well

Cisse one on one saved

They hit side netting from tight angle

Cisse deflects cross-shot, keeper saves

Sissoko overruns ball, keeper smothers

They head corner narrowly wide

They spoon one high and wide from tightish angle

Mapou bends one over the bar

Cisse shot saved from Santon cross

Marveaux overruns ball, keeper smothers

Cisse heads at keeper from point blank range in closing seconds

We should have won the game.

I don't disagree Dave, i think we should have won as well.  My point was that we weren't as solid defensively as some might think. My post was 'quite' shit tbh as i didn't actually mention my point.

Guest neesy111

I don't disagree Dave, i think we should have won as well.  My point was that we weren't as solid defensively as some might think. My post was 'quite' shit tbh as i didn't actually mention my point.

They had chances 1st half.  2nd half we controlled without dominating.

The second offside decision as it was at the Gallowgate end looked ridiculous and the 1st dodgy as but I couldn't say for definite as it was hard to see at the other end of the ground.

I thought (in no paricular order):

Got the impression we massively underestimated them and had the sense they thought they could turn up and win......

Santon was all over the place positionally and sloppy in position.

Sissoko was class most of the match but loss his way early in 2nd half.

Obertan is shite and always will be, Marveaux should've started.

Cisse should've buried atleast one goal but was robbed.

That Tiote yellow card was wreckless to say the least.

Jonas looked "busy" and more energised but his final ball is still atrocious.

I actually thought they were pretty tidy first half, neat on the ball and got into some dangerous positions. Looked knackered second half.

Did enough to take a lead to theirs as it is I think we'll have to relinquish any desires in this competition to make sure we're 100% for Southampton. Shame but that's the way it is.

People also forget that they should have scored 2 goals in the first half when they cut us open.

But they didn't. We were the only team to have the ball in the net, and both times it was disallowed. At least one was completely wrong.

Just watched back the highlights:

Obertan drags shot wide

Krul saves with feet from tight angle

Krul saves header well

Cisse one on one saved

They hit side netting from tight angle

Cisse deflects cross-shot, keeper saves

Sissoko overruns ball, keeper smothers

They head corner narrowly wide

They spoon one high and wide from tightish angle

Mapou bends one over the bar

Cisse shot saved from Santon cross

Marveaux overruns ball, keeper smothers

Cisse heads at keeper from point blank range in closing seconds

We should have won the game.

Exactly

We played well and I cant agree with anyone saying otherwise. They aren't a shit team and unfortunately I think with will concede 3 or 4 over there.

Tonight we were 2 decisions away from a great result and something to protect. Lets not forget that and get over negative.

Guest tollemache

Bit simplistic to tot up the chances and say we should've won 3-2 or whatever... they could've been 2-0 up early-ish in the match and shut up shop. Equally we could've made it 2-0 late on and gone over there looking very confident. Ultimately I think we didn't play well enough to guarantee a win, they caused a lot of problems and a draw was probably quite fair. It'll be extremely tricky now at their place and that match could affect the Southampton game which is a pity, but it's by no means unthinkable that we could do well in both games with minimal rotation.

Bit simplistic to tot up the chances and say we should've won 3-2 or whatever... they could've been 2-0 up early-ish in the match and shut up shop. Equally we could've made it 2-0 late on and gone over there looking very confident.

All of that is just conjecture though. The game stayed at 0-0 and during that time we were the better side and looked the most likely to score as the chances show (infact we did score, twice).

I don't think we were brilliant by any stretch of the imagination but I don't think we went out there looking bust a lung and give 100%, we just looked happy to control the game and try to nick a goal or 2, probably down to risk of injury and fatigue.

Guest tollemache

I think the overall approach to the game was pretty good, we just defended poorly enough at times that the game was basically a toss-up. Either side could've scored at least 3, even if we edged it in the end. Being slightly better over the course of 90 minutes doesn't mean a whole lot if you nonetheless concede several clear-cut chances.

No gripe about the approach though. We were ambitious enough to score goals of our own and secure the tie, we just weren't together enough to shut them out convincingly at the same time. It wasn't like we sat back and played negatively or anything.

Cannot comment on the whole game as I didn't see it - however, the goal at the Gallowgate end was on Sky over here and there looked to ne nothing wrong with it to me.....

From the comments I have read, I would say that we will do well to get a draw over there....they have obviously sussed out Santon's limitations as a defender....

I thought we were well worth the 2-0 victory we should have rightfully had.

You can't say "but they should have scored a couple here and there" - no they didn't; we managed to stop it or they shot wide. However, you CAN say "we should have had two", because they were both perfectly legitimate goals.

Very annoyed but also fairly pleased with what I thought was a decent performance. They had a bit of fire in their belly early on, but - not even considering the two goals they should have conceded - we broke them down over and over again. And, at the first sign of fatigue, we managed to turn the screw.

I'm really confident we'll go through. They've got nowt for us to fear.

Krul - 6. Some good stops. Absolutely shit kicking which brought pressure on. Every fucking game it's the same.

MYM - 8. I thought he was excellent. I was always confident if the ball was in the air, and he moved about the pitch nicely. Great cross for the second goal.

Taylor - 6. Unspectacular, but nothing horrendous.

Coloccini - 6. Same, really.

Santon - 5. Thought he was ineffective going forward and Marlos was all over him in the first half.

Cabaye - 7. Some excellent passing but faded.

Tiote - 10. He motored forward well and was a driving force in the Newcastle engine room.

Obertan - 4. One of his total horseshit performances tonight.

Sissoko - 8. Man of the match; brilliant close control, constantly brought players onto him which created space for Cisse, great running forward.

Jonas - 5. Ineffective for the most, besides the odd 'if in doubt, fall over and win a FK' trick.

Cisse - 7. The missed chances shouldn't even be being discussed. He scored two goals tonight.

Guest ItalianMagpie

I've never seen a post saying that Cisse isn't trying hard enough. I think 99% of people on here recognise that he just needs a couple of goals to get him going again. Straw man.

He scored with Everton, he scored with Villa.

He's still s***.

Last year Cissè wasn't even close to the real one, I'm starting to think this might be not too far from it.

That doesn't actually make any sense, considering he's been quality every season apart from this one. So he's FINALLY been found out to be s***?

Every season where, at Freiburg? Oh well.

Guest ItalianMagpie

I'm not saying he's shit though, but that this season he's been a disaster so far and that what we saw last year isn't a realistic picture of what he can do.

On the second 'goal', I think you're offside if any part of your body that can legitimately make contact with the ball is beyond the defender. Cisse's foot is just over that line, so although it's a very close call, he was off.

The first was onside, of course.

I thought we were well worth the 2-0 victory we should have rightfully had.

You can't say "but they should have scored a couple here and there" - no they didn't; we managed to stop it or they shot wide. However, you CAN say "we should have had two", because they were both perfectly legitimate goals.

Very annoyed but also fairly pleased with what I thought was a decent performance. They had a bit of fire in their belly early on, but - not even considering the two goals they should have conceded - we broke them down over and over again. And, at the first sign of fatigue, we managed to turn the screw.

I'm really confident we'll go through. They've got nowt for us to fear.

Krul - 6. Some good stops. Absolutely shit kicking which brought pressure on. Every fucking game it's the same.

MYM - 8. I thought he was excellent. I was always confident if the ball was in the air, and he moved about the pitch nicely. Great cross for the second goal.

Taylor - 6. Unspectacular, but nothing horrendous.

Coloccini - 6. Same, really.

Santon - 5. Thought he was ineffective going forward and Marlos was all over him in the first half.

Cabaye - 7. Some excellent passing but faded.

Tiote - 10. He motored forward well and was a driving force in the Newcastle engine room.

Obertan - 4. One of his total horseshit performances tonight.

Sissoko - 8. Man of the match; brilliant close control, constantly brought players onto him which created space for Cisse, great running forward.

Jonas - 5. Ineffective for the most, besides the odd 'if in doubt, fall over and win a FK' trick.

Cisse - 7. The missed chances shouldn't even be being discussed. He scored two goals tonight.

Woah woah woah there. He was alright at best. Usual comical yellow card, some loose passes, still got a long way to go until he gets back to last season.

EDIT: There's a possibility of extreme sarcasm which I've missed here tbf.

I'm not saying he's shit though, but that this season he's been a disaster so far and that what we saw last year isn't a realistic picture of what he can do.

He scored two perfectly good goals tonight.  Not sure what more you can ask of the dude.

Well I would probably be pissed off at not having won this.. but I spent most of the match fuming at the bellend that threw a punch at me by the turnstiles. :( Idiot brigade was out in force, as usual for a cup game.