Most underrated/overrated player in the PL

Guest nufc_89

Underrated:

Antonio Valencia: Personally think he doesn't get the same praise as his teammates due to his rather humble personality.

Brad Guzan: Been very impressed with him this season despite Villa's position. Seemed to be there forever but never got the chance for both club and country.

Shane Long: He strikes the fear factor on you despite not appealing much on paper.

Mark Noble: Like what I've seen from him and seems to have leadership qualities.

Winston Reid: Solid defender who won't catch the hype due to his nationality.

Leon Britton: The Xavi of the Swansea game.

Leon Osman: Another who's been around forever but always puts a shift whenever I see him.

Pablo Zabaleta: Somewhat like Valencia that he keeps his head down and works hard in the midst of illustrious company.

I must say Jack Wilshere's bandwagon has slowed down lately due to his long injury.

I wouldn't agree that Taarabt is underrated, isn't he anonymous in quite a good percentage of games?

Haven't seen too much but everytime I've watched QPR this season he's been the standout player (which isn't hard tho).

Would agree that Lampard has been an incredible player for Chelsea and one of the Premier League greats, and has performed well for England. However, this season in particular it does seem that he is all about getting goals, possibly too focused on breaking their scoring record before he is (rightfully) shipped out at the end of the season. He shoots far too often when there are better options, a lot of them he misses when he should be scoring. Also, statistically he's one of two players in the league (along with Ba) who have scored more than five goals this season and not provided a single assist. No assists for a central attacking midfielder of that calibre is poor, especially when held against his record of 22 league assists a few years ago as mentioned. Furthermore, he's only second to Torres in terms of lowest pass completion in Chelsea's team.

Underrated: Javier Mascherano at centre back. He's not shit there at all, he's very good.

Underrated:

Antonio Valencia: Personally think he doesn't get the same praise as his teammates due to his rather humble personality.

Brad Guzan: Been very impressed with him this season despite Villa's position. Seemed to be there forever but never got the chance for both club and country.

Shane Long: He strikes the fear factor on you despite not appealing much on paper.

Mark Noble: Like what I've seen from him and seems to have leadership qualities.

Winston Reid: Solid defender who won't catch the hype due to his nationality.

Leon Britton: The Xavi of the Swansea game.

Leon Osman: Another who's been around forever but always puts a shift whenever I see him.

Pablo Zabaleta: Somewhat like Valencia that he keeps his head down and works hard in the midst of illustrious company.

I must say Jack Wilshere's bandwagon has slowed down lately due to his long injury.

good call on Zabaleta. quietly does a great job while being overshadowed by the expensive signings.

Underrated:

He had two very good seasons for us but this season he's been quite average. Against lower class full backs he looks like a million bucks, but in general he's very one dimensional and extremely one footed. Because of this when he comes up against top class defenders he's kept very quiet.

Works very hard for the team though and keeps his head down. Very good squad player and certainly a lot better than Young, which brings me to...

Overrated: Ashley Young.

-----

A lot of people obviously don't agree reading the comments here, but I think Cleverley is underrated. Whenever he plays we are a much better side. He's fast on the ball, always makes the right pass, always gets into good positions and is very good at finding space. Hoping for many years from him as a first choice central midfielder for us.

I don't know if any fans rate him, but I would give the prize for hyped but nowhere near the finished product to Oxlaide Chamberlain. If anyone, I would say Arsenal have the most overrated players. I don't understand the surprise when supposedly lesser teams beat them.

The "Duncan Edwards" comments out of ManYoo about Phil Jones also stick in the throat, because he's is clearly not that good just yet.

I think Cech has lost his mojo, but he was instrumental in them sneaking the CL.

Lampard is a very difficult one to judge IMO. Throughout most of his glory days at Chelsea, he's had a team fitted around him to accentuate his strengths and stats - arguably to the detriment of the potential of the capabilities of their changing squads over the years.

I guess you could rather cruelly point to his vastly underwhelming international career and use that as a stick to beat him with, but that's a little unfair (though not totally) as the national side has been mismanaged for fucking ages. You also can't just ignore his club career in its entirety because Chelsea's system has been built around him either.

I'd say he's rated about just right. Not in the calibre of a Paul Scholes or a Gerrard in his peak (which was a while ago) but a good player.

I'd agree with that. In that attacking central midfield role, he's been very good, but you can't play him anywhere else. The problem with the Gerrard - Lampard combination was that Gerrard, as the more versatile player, had to end up playing wider or further forward most of the time. He'd then get frustrated and start looking for the ball, and the shape was lost.

With that gangly physique of his, I don't think Welbeck will be a great finisher, but I seem to remember (eg the Euros) one or two very clever finishes. His ability to hold on to the ball and create for others is very good, and seeing that he's playing all across a front three, I think he makes a very good contribution. He also reads situations well.

I'd agree with Leffe on Tiote and Colo. I think Tiote's limitations are generally recognised now, but Colo still has the feeling of an untouchable. He's very good in some situations, weak in others.

I wouldn't agree that Taarabt is underrated, isn't he anonymous in quite a good percentage of games?

Quality in the championship, has really struggled stepping up. Often looks very lazy too. Not the player you need for a relegation battle iyam.

Still never seen the fuss with Sandro. :undecided:

Same he's a good defensive midfielder but him and Lucas (at least outside) of this forum gets more praise than Ramires and David Luiz who I rate much much higher than the other two.

Might be because Lucas and Sandro are pretty average whenever they play for Brazil.