Most underrated/overrated player in the PL

Guest nufc_89

Guest Miguel Piñero

I quite like Welbeck in a way, he does flatter to deceive though, but I have a soft spot for technical forwards who hurt defences with clever movement, but always going to set up more goals than score I suppose. Doesn't strike me as international quality yet though. Mid table maybe really.

The fact his technique is very good leads me to assume the finishing will come.

Some on here :lol:

Kompany, David Luiz, Suarez, Baines?

f*** is this thread?

Kompany is living off last seasons performances, been very average this time round, Baines is an english John Arne Riise and Suarez isn't the god of football Liverpool fans and commentators would like you to believe. Hell be nowhere near as good once he leaves Liverpool. Wonder why?

:lol:

I actually partially agree with the first bit, but after that it all goes downwards. Suarez outside of Liverpool would probably be a top 5 footballer in the world. He's a cunt, but he's a brilliant player and is the best player in the league with Bale at the moment and has been all season.

Overrated - Tom Cleverley

Might get shot down for this. Personally think he is a average midfielder, but because he plays for Man u and is English gets jizzed over by pundits. If he played for a team outside of the top four he would hardly get mentioned...

Suarez is a fantastic player and if he wasn't such a cheat and a racist would be a pleasure to watch, but his every instinct is to cheat and hurt others (witness his stamp on that Zenit player). He's absolutely loathsome and I it annoys me the narrative is always going to be 'that rascal' or that ref's are harsh on him cos of his reputation. Worst is excusing him cheating as a 'will to win' sort of thing. I presume those pundits would be wanking over Lance Armstrong if they covered cycling.

Having said that he is brilliant. It's a shame really he's a) a c*** and b) at liverpool

Overrated - Tom Cleverley

Might get shot down for this. Personally think he is a average midfielder, but because he plays for Man u and is English gets jizzed over by pundits. If he played for a team outside of the top four he would hardly get mentioned...

He's young has promise but aye right now nothing spectacular.

:lol: he's had bad games before, aye. But saying he's as bad as Simpson is ridiculous.

I was referring to the douche comment. The lad acted the prick all game. I didn't say he was as bad as Simpson as a player. I said he was no better than Simpson as a defender.

Over rated, at the moment I would say Bale. Yes he's good player but the hype he is getting at the moment is just enough to make you feel a bitter taste in your mouth, I mean being compared to Messi and Ronaldo? His run of form reminds me of Walcott's a few years. Incidentally if Bale hadn't been on this run over the last few weeks I would have actually said Walcott.

Underrated, I could say Krul but to take the bias away I'm going to say Shawcross. He gets a lot of stick but I honestly think he is quite a decent CB, I wouldn't mind having him here.

Some on here :lol:

Kompany, David Luiz, Suarez, Baines?

f*** is this thread?

Kompany is living off last seasons performances, been very average this time round, Baines is an english John Arne Riise and Suarez isn't the god of football Liverpool fans and commentators would like you to believe. Hell be nowhere near as good once he leaves Liverpool. Wonder why?

:lol:

I actually partially agree with the first bit, but after that it all goes downwards. Suarez outside of Liverpool would probably be a top 5 footballer in the world. He's a c***, but he's a brilliant player and is the best player in the league with Bale at the moment and has been all season.

Sorry, but theres no way Suarez is a top 5 player in the world.

I hate to admit it, because i think he's an absoloute c***, but i agree he's been quality this season. He's in the 'world class' bracket of players, but top 5 is just way too much imo.

Guest firetotheworks

Overrated: Bale. He's very good, but he's obviously not on the Messi/Ronaldo level that the media are desperate to say he is.

Underrated: I have a lot of time for Shaun Maloney at Wigan.

On Cleverly i think he's very good tactically, always seems to make the right option and positions himself very well and because of that when he's there Man Yoo play a lot better even if he isn't anything to right home about from an individual stand point.

Carrick especially improves tenfold when he has Cleverly next to him, this country could do with more players like that who almost always make the right decision even if he's not that talented.

Honestly i'd take tactical understanding and decision making over talent any day of the week of course i'd rather have both, but it is something we have missed as a country for far too long.

Personally think he's a player that you don't realise what he gives you until he's out of the team.

On Cleverly i think he's very good tactically, always seems to make the right option and positions himself very well and because of that when he's there Man Yoo play a lot better even if he isn't anything to right home about from an individual stand point.

Carrick especially improves tenfold when he has Cleverly next to him, this country could do with more players like that who almost always make the right decision even if he's not that talented.

Honestly i'd take tactical understanding and decision making over talent any day of the week of course i'd rather have both, but it is something we have missed as a country for far too long.

Personally think he's a player that you don't realise what he gives you until he's out of the team.

:thup:

He's one of those types totally opposite to Lampard and Gerrard, where he's a genuine team player and will make a run where he knows he won't get the ball, just to create space for someone else. He seems to just understand the game fully even at a young age, which is why I think Ferguson keeps playing him, even if he doesn't go past players or bang in screamers very often.

How is Lampard not a team player?

I think Lampard is more of a focal point of a team, rather than someone who keeps things ticking over and offers themselves constantly for a simple ball. There's better and more creative players at Man Utd and Cleverley's the type who'll do the work to get those players into a good position, rather than being that type himself. You need players like that to build a successful team and I think England have lacked those types for a while.

The problem with commentating on this subject is trying to define whether a player is genuinely rated or not, and who by. Fans in general, the press, pundits etc. The standard of player that gets picked for England squads and is rated by Roy, is in any case appalling. Selvey, Sterling, and the other Pool right back whose name escapes me (he's that forgettable) give me a brake. Wallcott, Clichy, Lennon and Cole (to a lesser extent) are athletes not football players. We as supporters completely overate Santon whose positional defensive play is terrible. Maybe we just have shit coaches. Maybe we overate Krul whose kicking and distribution is absolutely rank. I think Silva is overrated, he's innocuous as is Nasri.

Lampard is a very difficult one to judge IMO. Throughout most of his glory days at Chelsea, he's had a team fitted around him to accentuate his strengths and stats - arguably to the detriment of the potential of the capabilities of their changing squads over the years.

I guess you could rather cruelly point to his vastly underwhelming international career and use that as a stick to beat him with, but that's a little unfair (though not totally) as the national side has been mismanaged for fucking ages. You also can't just ignore his club career in its entirety because Chelsea's system has been built around him either.

I'd say he's rated about just right. Not in the calibre of a Paul Scholes or a Gerrard in his peak (which was a while ago) but a good player.

Lampard was absolutely great and I really can't see why anyone would say he was overrated. That 2009-10 season was unreal man. 27 goals and 20 assists from a midfielder. 22 of them in the league as well. He was world class, no denying it.

Chelsea have struggled this season and they're struggling now but he's still there scoring loads of goals.

:thup:

Underrated if anything. He's been a sensational player.

Absolutely.

I always thought Lampard was 'ok' until about 2/3 years ago, when my opinion changed completely. Superb player. I also think he comes across well in the media as a decent, well-educated, chap, which makes a huge change from some of the complete fucking morons we have playing for the national side.