Most underrated/overrated player in the PL

Guest nufc_89

Overrated: Joe Hart

Underrated: James Morrison

Definitely :thup:

As for my own selections.... Overrated: Chris Samba; always considered him an extremely limited defender who is good at defending his 6 yard box but outside of that is struggled think of Shawcross.

I find Vermealen incredibly overrated as well for entirely different reasons.

Underrated: Dimitar Berbatov; he is far too good for Fulham and just oozes class as far as i'm concerned and think he was treated poorly at Man Yoo.

I actually can think of many overrated players but not many underrated ones, funny that.

I think for many the Gerrard hate stems from the constant bumming from commentators and media people who the very sound of their voice drives you to distraction. Similar to the way many find themselves supporting foreign teams in the CL.

:thup: Gerrard isn't the only one either, the same used to happen with Rooney and is happening with Bale at the moment.

The hate probably should be directed at the media but meh that's never going to happen.

Irritating that one of England's generational quota of top class talent was filled by an idiot like Gerrard blasting hollywood passes at a billion miles an hour all the time and playing with no tactical discipline.

Top class club performer for a few years under Benitez who used him right. Overrated would be a very fair analysis though considering how highly some seem to rate him.

Yup. Even I can admit for a period of 2-3 years he was one of the best in the world. But the longer-term view of him is no doubt influenced by the 'Captain Stevie G' mentality peddled by various media outlets. Oh, and for a captain and shining example of a footballer and so on, he's a massive fucking cheat.

As I say, I think Lampard is underrated. Underrated because I've noticed a surprising amount of people don't seem to rate him above Gerrard when he's clearly been better long-term, in my view anyway. His consistency is remarkable. Even this season when Chelsea aren't at the heights they were 3-4 years ago and with his own future in doubt and indeed not even starting quite a few games, he's delivering the goods time and time again.

This question is always tough - I presume you mean how they're rated in the media. We think Kyle Walker's had a shaky season, and you guys all think he's overrated, so who exactly is overrating him?

I'd suggest that Tiote might be overrated, but you guys clearly know how disappointing he's been this year. I think you overrate Colo a bit, as I think Cabaye is more important for you - if anything, he's underrated. Liverpool overrate Lucas a bit, Lennon is a little overrated (he divides opinion at Spurs) and Defoe the same. The problem with someone like Bent is deciding whether he can be called overrated when so many people know exactly what he is. I'd say Mark Noble was overrated, but the bastard will probably have a blinder on Monday. I worry that Dembele is overrated. I think Bale is both over- and underrated.

I think for many the Gerrard hate stems from the constant bumming from commentators and media people who the very sound of their voice drives you to distraction. Similar to the way many find themselves supporting foreign teams in the CL.

I also think its partly us Geordies hating Liverpool. The fact is he captained a ridiculously average side to Champions League success- whereas Lampard won it with an expensively assembled ensemble- and has consistently been the star performer for a weak Liverpool team. His performances in the season Liverpool finished 2nd were unreal, and it's not coincidence that's he's the only midfielder in recent years to connect with Torres. Even recently he instantly built up a relationship with Suarez, which demonstrates his tactical nous and awareness and rebuts the poster above who called him a tactical idiot or whatever.

As for his coverage in the media, I repeat I don't think he is favoured any more highly than Giggs, Scholes, Lampard, Cole Rooney. The media in fact often refer to his decline- you rarely read an article about him that doesn't question how many years left he has, and how he no longer makes as many forays forward. They've also recently mentioned how Wilshere is gradually replacing him as England's main midfielder. IMO some are mistaking respect and admiration for undue praise.

Regardless, I don't buy the claim that he's poor now anyway. Top assist scorer in the PL, with 7 goals to boot, suggest he's very much still talented. Those stats would get him into any team right now. He's only 32 ffs, an iffy start to the season shouldn't be mistaken for a sudden dramatic decline.

Overrated:

Scott Parker

Aaron Lennon

Steven Gerard

Kyle walker

Luis Suarez

Joe Allen

Jonas

Joe Hart

Peter Crouch

Gareth Barry

Leighton Baines

Gareth Bale

Vincent Kompany

Sami Nasri

Tim Howard

what the fuck? agree with the rest but the guys in bold are pretty consistently quality.

This question is always tough - I presume you mean how they're rated in the media. We think Kyle Walker's had a shaky season, and you guys all think he's overrated, so who exactly is overrating him?

I'd suggest that Tiote might be overrated, but you guys clearly know how disappointing he's been this year. I think you overrate Colo a bit, as I think Cabaye is more important for you - if anything, he's underrated. Liverpool overrate Lucas a bit, Lennon is a little overrated (he divides opinion at Spurs) and Defoe the same. The problem with someone like Bent is deciding whether he can be called overrated when so many people know exactly what he is. I'd say Mark Noble was overrated, but the b****** will probably have a blinder on Monday. I worry that Dembele is overrated. I think Bale is both over- and underrated.

:huff:

This season he's been below par true, but last season he was utterly magnificent and I wouldn't have swapped him for anyone

Guest Miguel Piñero

Gerrard's overrated now, there's little doubt that he's been a great Premier League player but he's just not that good any more. The media love to lick his arse like he's still the same and he's not.

Plus he's a cheat and a boring b******.

Most assists in the PL this season (9) and 7 league goals- that's not too bad for someone who's "not that good anymore". This whilst playing in a team that's hardly tearing up any trees, and when he is in transition himself trying to learn to play a more withdrawn midfield role. His passing is still sensational, and is capable of his trade mark shots (see Man City). Agree he is loved by the media, but no more than Giggs, Lampard etc. Surely it's fair that he's earned respect among journalists given his achievements?

I meant he's just not as good as he was, obviously he's still an above-average player. But no, there's a big difference between respect and blatantly ignoring the fact that he's on the way down and pretending he's still world class etc.

Plus he's frequently been disgraceful for England which is conveniently ignored when they're desperate to pull off 'Captain Fantastic'.

I remember he received huge media praise after scoring twice in the 2-0 away to Andorra under McLaren. 'Dragged us through against the odds' etc

He's not garbage but he's not as good as Man Utd fans would have you believe (ofc). He's only 22, but he needs to score more goals.

Honestly wouldn't take him here. He's a typical English player, works hard but doesn't have much end product. You're always going to struggle as a striker when you don't score.

I quite like Welbeck in a way, he does flatter to deceive though, but I have a soft spot for technical forwards who hurt defences with clever movement, but always going to set up more goals than score I suppose. Doesn't strike me as international quality yet though. Mid table maybe really.

The thing about Welbeck i don't think he is a striker, he was always a winger growing up and that will be what he ends being probably.

I think Welbeck is a good player in general but his finishing is atrocious....

On to Leffe's post i agree with some of it some not: I don't think we overrate Colo in general he's had a poor season but i don't think that's reflective of him as a player, i agree on Tiote and Cabaye but i disagree with Dembele if anything i find him a bit underrated you seem to really struggle without him and he's fantastic player i'd love to swap him with Tiote if you don't mind.  :D

I'd suggest that Tiote might be overrated, but you guys clearly know how disappointing he's been this year. I think you overrate Colo a bit, as I think Cabaye is more important for you - if anything, he's underrated. Liverpool overrate Lucas a bit, Lennon is a little overrated (he divides opinion at Spurs) and Defoe the same. The problem with someone like Bent is deciding whether he can be called overrated when so many people know exactly what he is. I'd say Mark Noble was overrated, but the bastard will probably have a blinder on Monday. I worry that Dembele is overrated. I think Bale is both over- and underrated.

Kyle Walker has played for England despite being no better a defender than Danny Simpson. That is what is meant by over rated.

Lampard was absolutely great and I really can't see why anyone would say he was overrated. That 2009-10 season was unreal man. 27 goals and 20 assists from a midfielder. 22 of them in the league as well. He was world class, no denying it.

Chelsea have struggled this season and they're struggling now but he's still there scoring loads of goals.

:thup:

Underrated if anything. He's been a sensational player.

Absolutely.