Anzhi 0 - 0 Newcastle United - 07/03/13 - post-match reaction from page 37

Disco

heres a little paradox, on betfair we are slight favourites to win the game next week yet they are clear favourites to qualify. go figure  :dontknow:

Well they are through on a score draw.

but you'd think if we were favourites to go win the game we'd be favorites to go through. on the match odds the draw is quite the outsider.

What about the odds for Anzhi/draw compared to us winning? That's what you should be looking at. If we are only slight favourites to win, then I wouldn't think it's weird at all that they are favourites to go through with the away goal rule being the way it is.

and there it hits a problem as i can find odds to lay newcastle but not specifically a newcastle defeat or 0-0 draw (which in itself wouldn't knock us out)

heres a little paradox, on betfair we are slight favourites to win the game next week yet they are clear favourites to qualify. go figure  :dontknow:

but you'd think if we were favourites to go win the game we'd be favorites to go through. on the match odds the draw is quite the outsider.

What about the odds for Anzhi/draw compared to us winning? That's what you should be looking at. If we are only slight favourites to win, then I wouldn't think it's weird at all that they are favourites to go through with the away goal rule being the way it is.

and there it hits a problem as i can find odds to lay newcastle but not specifically a newcastle defeat or 0-0 draw (which in itself wouldn't knock us out)

Us to win is 2.52 = 39.6% chance of us going through. The other way we can go through is after a 0-0 (at 9 on betfair, or an 11.1% chance). If you think being at home for ET & pens would give us a slight advantage (e.g. 60% chance of getting through after 0-0) that would leave us with a 46.3% chance of getting through, or odds of 2.16 to their 1.85 assuming no margin.

I honestly think this might be the second worst post on the site ever after that story Inter stuck up earlier. I need to have a serious fucking word with myself.

Us to win is 2.52 = 39.6% chance of us going through. The other way we can go through is after a 0-0 (at 9 on betfair, or an 11.1% chance). If you think being at home for ET & pens would give us a slight advantage (e.g. 60% chance of getting through after 0-0) that would leave us with a 46.3% chance of getting through, or odds of 2.16 to their 1.85 assuming no margin.

I honestly think this might be the second worst post on the site ever after that story Inter stuck up earlier. I need to have a serious fucking word with myself.

:lol:

:lol:

I reckon we should have a pretty big crowd next week, big atmosphere and we should, hopefully, be able to push this one over the line. Could do with Cisse back and a few more days training in HBA.  Would play him right, Marv on the left.

I reckon we should have a pretty big crowd next week, big atmosphere and we should, hopefully, be able to push this one over the line. Could do with Cisse back and a few more days training in HBA.  Would play him right, Marv on the left.

I really hope so.This is potentially our last game in a European competition for a while so I hope everyone goes and makes it a real occasion.

Guest Roger Kint

Some tomfoolery from Steven Taylor and Ben Arfa with a miserable Tiote on the end.

A Morning In Moscow

Pardew's 'Deal with it' specs

If we can go with Hatem, Cissé, Moussa and Marveaux in the home tie, we'll probably score. An equally sound defensive performance and we're good.

Will be a nailbiter, I think we limited them very well last night, but we need to score now and that could harm us.

I felt we still lacked pace last night, and we still are to some degree. Sissoko is quick once he gets going, but in terms of running off the ball and getting in behind defences, Gouffran is sorely missed. Cissé for all his movement isn't very quick either.

Yanga-Mbiwa and Haïdara look f***ing superb both of them. Also nice to see Perch performing again, such a good pro and top player to have in the squad. Right back at Nottingham three years ago, took Lacina Traore and Samuel Eto'o out of the game last night.

The return will be one of the toughest games to watch in quite a while because 0-0 is not a good scoreline in this competition...it is only one notch up from outright defeat as the away side only needs to match whatever the home side does to go through. In this case, they have players capable of punishing us on the break so it will take a very disciplined performance right through the side to get a result.

We need an early goal to make them come out and the worst thing that could happen is an early score for them..that will put more pressure on the side to get it back quickly and then to get another, so its really tough. I wouldn't like to see it go to pens either.....

Far from certain that we will go through and it will be a great result if we do.

The return will be one of the toughest games to watch in quite a while because 0-0 is not a good scoreline in this competition...it is only one notch up from outright defeat as the away side only needs to match whatever the home side does to go through. In this case, they have players capable of punishing us on the break so it will take a very disciplined performance right through the side to get a result.

We need an early goal to make them come out and the worst thing that could happen is an early score for them..that will put more pressure on the side to get it back quickly and then to get another, so its really tough. I wouldn't like to see it go to pens either.....

Far from certain that we will go through and it will be a great result if we do.

There's a lot of truth in that, but considering a lot of us were fearing an away defeat without reply I'll still bank the 0-0 and take our chances in the next game.

Quite a few Stoke fans by the looks of their board seem to be overestimating the effect of tiredness as a result of this match. Especially when you consider Debuchy, Gouffran and Santon didn't play and Tiote and Taylor only came on for very brief periods.

Oh yeah how come there's no Stoke match thread yet? Just realised.