Newcastle United 2 - 1 Stoke City - 10/03/13 - post-match reaction from page 31

Beren

Guest bimpy474

First heard about POMOs when my West Ham mate told me how much Big Sam likes them

The speak of hoofball percentage fuckwit managers that is like.

Stoke penalty?

I'm sorry but the challenge was outside of the area, if the Stoke player hadn't have ran 3 yards into the box and then went down looking fora penalty then he would have been given the free kick that they should have got.

Not sure about this "Stoke made it so difficult for us" crack like, I thought we just picked the wrong ball time after time after time. I didn't think they were particularly good defensively.

The lack of movement in the final third is still staggering at times, Sissoko picks it up beats 4 of them and then passes it straight to one of their beasts over and over again

Guest Slippery Sam

Just watched the highlights on SS1. Judging by those, it was a well deserved victory.  Newcastle United 2, Easter Island City 1.

Oh, can someone not tell Pullis that he looks a complete dick dressed up in all that gear during the game.

Just watched the highlights on SS1. Judging by those, it was a well deserved victory.  Newcastle United 2, Easter Island City 1.

Oh, can someone not tell Pullis that he looks a complete dick dressed up in all that gear during the game.

Level 7 tried.

Guest neesy111

Not sure about this "Stoke made it so difficult for us" crack like, I thought we just picked the wrong ball time after time after time. I didn't think they were particularly good defensively.

The lack of movement in the final third is still staggering at times, Sissoko picks it up beats 4 of them and then passes it straight to one of their beasts over and over again

This was really apparent today cos the possession we had.

it is so good to see Pulis respond to defeat in such a gracious manner.........................

perhaps look at himself and his own methods being responsible for stoke being found out and utterly predictable in everything they do and clubs needed bother scouting them beforehand as everyone knows they'll kick it long and look for set pieces, no invention no flair no imagination no soul

Ended up seeing Stoke's elegant football in the flesh today. They're really shit.

IMO:

Elliot - fuck all to do

Debuchy - hit and miss, but looks quality at times

MYM - standout player

Taylor - good sometimes, lacking basics sometimes

Santon - obsessed with cutting inside, defensively iffy

Tiote - reckless

Cabaye - captain

Jonas - rubbish

Gouffran - quiet

Sissoko - marauding runs, no end product today

Cisse - pretty hopeless until the goal

Liked the look of that Haidara bloke you brought on, impressed me more going forward than Santon did.

Pardew - Hadouken fireball punch to Pulis, Pardew wins via KO.

Chuffed with the win - felt it was gonna go down as one of those days when Walters scored the pen after Tiote's lunge (why the hell did he do that?) However, once again they kept going - world class free-kick from Cabaye - I thought it was too close to get up and down, shows how much I know! Also, fantastic pass from Marveaux and a cool finish by Cisse for the winner.

The important thing at the minute is to get points on the board and get to safety, whilst hopefully pushing on in the Europa. :thup:

Stoke penalty?

I'm sorry but the challenge was outside of the area, if the Stoke player hadn't have ran 3 yards into the box and then went down looking fora penalty then he would have been given the free kick that they should have got.

Wut? :lol:

Stoke penalty?

Wut? :lol:

I assume hes talking about the Santon incident, in which case hes right, not the Tiote moment of madness.

Santon just seems shagged to me, needs a rest. He's played every league game I think.

MYM and Taylor potentially looking a decent partnership, which is good but Stoke had absolutely no pace so only one sort of threat to deal with really.

Jonas basically played as a second left back, don't recall him getting to the byline at all...it's an odd one, until HBA is back though I'm not sure what the way forward is. Not convinced Marveaux should be out wide and Obertan is, well, Obertan.

Debuchy is great, having a right back who gets forward is refreshing. Imagine the damage this boy and HBA can cause...

Tiote and Cabaye practically played in each other's pockets, I think I'd rather play Cabaye 20 yards further forward and play Sissoko a bit deeper, purely because Sissoko tends to pick the ball up deep anyway and take players out of the game, but he's only ever got Cisse and Gouffran anywhere near him against 4 defenders, and I liked Cabaye in that "number 10" role last season.

Gouffran runs his tits off but wasn't in the game much today. He doesn't like the physical much from what I've seen so far so today didn't really suit him. Should have scored too.

Stoke are basically a parody of themselves now, playing Shotton and Walters on either wing is just horrific. Would be delighted if they went down, nobody would be sorry to see them go (except their own fans of course)

Relieved to win anyway, especially with 2 typically dissapointing away games to come. Really got a taste for the Europa now, get through on Thursday and we're in the last 8 - which sounds incredible, so let's make it happen.

We had 14 corners today according to MOTD2. We could probably have 100 corners and still not score from any of them.

100? I'm going to take a stab that we've had triple that since we last scored a corner, going from Beren's stat from the Statistical analysis thread. :lol:

We had 14 corners today according to MOTD2. We could probably have 100 corners and still not score from any of them.

100? I'm going to take a stab that we've had triple that since we last scored a corner, going from Beren's stat from the Statistical analysis thread. :lol:

I meant 100 corners in one game. You'd have to think we'll eventually score from one. It's like flipping a coin. We must have got 'tails' 300 times in a row. It's got to come up 'heads' one day.

Just finished watching it. My dear god (imaginary person I know but wth) that was a simply awful game of football. Reasons for that are two fold, I think the trip to Moscow really effected our play, our two most creative players, Sissoko and Cabaye, pretty much played full games out there on a plastic pitch, even those that were rested or didn't play a great deal, still had to make the trip 5 hours each way, time difference, all in three days, you could just tell in our play we lacked that little spark in or play.

The other reason was Stoke, they came to our place intent on one thing, not to lose, they showed no ambition to get forward throughout that game sat back invited us on and routinely had 8 or more players behind the ball. My boss is a big Stoke fan and he's always moaning that the media always piant them as a long ball team and tbh I didn't see that much of that style from them but what I did see was a brand of anti football that has no place in the PL really. Playing in the manner that stoke played and have played for much of the season, will turn fans off the game it really will, it just sucks the life out of the game.

I don't understand Pardew's post match comments about Stoke not deserving to lose, because from what I saw they made zero attempt to win the game and got exactly what they deserved out of it, nothing. Not that we were exactly scintillating but at least we showed a desire to get forward and win the game, they didn't have a single moment in the game outside the penalty where they even remotely threatened, that's criminal really.

Hugely important win at the end of the day though, we can now give the Europa League a real go imo.

Guest Phil K

According to Pulis Sissoko scored. Did we win 3-1?  :troll:

Racist as well as a charver cock.

Trying to fit in with their fans, clearly.

A much-needed win which will take some pressure off the club for a while and enable them to prepare fpr a tough return match with Anzhi on Thursday.

This was a game that we could easily have lost but for 2 pieces of brilliance which stood out from the plodding efforts to break down a dour Stoke side...none of the champagne stuff we had in the same match last season. Cabaye was once again our best and most talented player - without a doubt a worthy captain in future, but bigger clubs will have been salivating over his shrewd passing, committment and inch-perfect free-kick which gave us a deserved equalizer when we desperately needed it...if he had missed, Stoke would have reorganized and battled for the 3 points - Cabaye's brilliant FK took the wind straight out of their sails.

Then Marveaux produced another superb defence splitting pass right on the death, to give Cisse(who had been dire)the easiest of chances thanks to Wilson playing him onside.

Before all this, we had huffed and puffed but the lack of rapid movement and passing off the ball up front and when breaking from defence made it easy for Stoke to pick us off...only Cabaye really threatened their goal in the first half with a couple of long range efforts although Gouffran missed a sitter in the box.

Debuchy was a constant thorn in their side down the right, but Santon was poor - we improved considerably once Haidara came on and he is a much better defender in my view. Sissoko did plenty of running but often into blind alleys and although the CBs looked OK most of the time, Mbiwa had a couple of shaky moments .

Cisse is not the quickest of strikers but even the pace he had seems to have deteriorated - he had a clear chance to breakthrough in the first half and allowed the defender to catch and dispossess him in the box...worrying and we need a striker with pace in the summer.

We had plenty of possession - 58% - but failed to really make it count due to not punishing them in the final third of the field...a quicker build up is necessary to unsettle this sort of side but NOT long balls from defence..

Relieved to get the win and now only 7 points will ensure PL football next season.