Newcastle United 2 - 1 Stoke City - 10/03/13 - post-match reaction from page 31

Beren

Although I agree that the display wasn't pretty, some of the negativity on here is laughable. Stoke are a well organised and big unit that requires a different type of tactic to play against. Like midweek against Anzhi, we set up to squash their outlets and this did take away from our attacking play. The conditions were horrible and you could see from any goal kick or high floated ball just how much the ball was moving in the air. Keeping it on the deck wasn't easy either as the ball was sticking on the surface, bouncing high other times (Gouffran's close range shot), bobbling all over the place...and that's before you include the wild, swinging legs of Stoke. We were very scrappy in the final third but I thought our defence and midfield were generally organised and in control. As case of poor Stoke or well done us for not allowing them to play the only 'football' they know?

Delighted with the winner and chuffed to bits in the strength we showed to match and overpower anti football Stoke. In other games and other seasons we would have crumbled. I'm also delighted that I have all my fingers, toes and limbs intact because I was freezing!

Sound post.

Guest icemanblue

Although I agree that the display wasn't pretty, some of the negativity on here is laughable. Stoke are a well organised and big unit that requires a different type of tactic to play against. Like midweek against Anzhi, we set up to squash their outlets and this did take away from our attacking play. The conditions were horrible and you could see from any goal kick or high floated ball just how much the ball was moving in the air. Keeping it on the deck wasn't easy either as the ball was sticking on the surface, bouncing high other times (Gouffran's close range shot), bobbling all over the place...and that's before you include the wild, swinging legs of Stoke. We were very scrappy in the final third but I thought our defence and midfield were generally organised and in control. As case of poor Stoke or well done us for not allowing them to play the only 'football' they know?

Delighted with the winner and chuffed to bits in the strength we showed to match and overpower anti football Stoke. In other games and other seasons we would have crumbled. I'm also delighted that I have all my fingers, toes and limbs intact because I was freezing!

Put it better than I could. So, yeah, this.

Sound post.

Andre Marriner has eyes in the back of his heed LOLZ Pat Nevin!!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!!!111

Nowt at all to do with the Stoke players pointing out that Cabaye had moved the ball. Nothing at all to do with that.

Marv's pass is sublime.  Pardew needs a shave.  Tiote needs shooting for that tackle.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2289872/Its-hair-stay-Newcastle-boss-Pardew-vows-lucky-beard.html

Newcastle United boss Alan Pardew has vowed to keep the beard until his side’s last 16 tie is over.

Pardew said he grew the beard out of respect for great Russians before his side's first leg draw with Moneybags club Anzhi Makhachkala.

And after pulling off an impressive goalless draw against a side who have won all seven of their previous European games on home soil, Pardew admitted it will be staying until Guus Hiddink’s side have played at St James’s Park on Thursday night.

'I think I’ll keep until Thursday,’ he said.

Guest neesy111

Marv's pass is sublime.  Pardew needs a shave.  Tiote needs shooting for that tackle.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2289872/Its-hair-stay-Newcastle-boss-Pardew-vows-lucky-beard.html

Newcastle United boss Alan Pardew has vowed to keep the beard until his side’s last 16 tie is over.

Pardew said he grew the beard out of respect for great Russians before his side's first leg draw with Moneybags club Anzhi Makhachkala.

And after pulling off an impressive goalless draw against a side who have won all seven of their previous European games on home soil, Pardew admitted it will be staying until Guus Hiddink’s side have played at St James’s Park on Thursday night.

'I think I’ll keep until Thursday,’ he said.

I knew about that.  He needs a shave still IMO, looks more of a tramp than Pulis.

Not sure about this "Stoke made it so difficult for us" crack like, I thought we just picked the wrong ball time after time after time. I didn't think they were particularly good defensively.