Benfica vs. Newcastle United - 04/04/13 @ 8.05pm (ITV4)

bowlingcrofty

Let's tonk these wankers. When I lived in Lisbon, they were crap but still crowing about their glorious history, which was already some decades in the past. They're obviously better now, but the Portuguese league isn't much better than the Scottish Premier -- three decent teams, the rest are cannon fodder. Pardew's correct to appraise them as a mid-table team, if miraculously transferred to the Premier League. Some seasons they'd be challenging for Europe, others they'd be flirting with relegation. Bit like us, really. Probably better than us right now. But still beatable.

And remember, they've only won one more European trophy than we have.

See the Premier League, La Liga...

I think we'll get done 3 or 4-0 tonight, haven't got much hope.

Guest eagleye

Today is not just another day, today BENFICA PLAYS! Its time to Pardew swallow his own words!

http://this11.com/boards/abExO5HafH.jpg

Today is not just another day, today BENFICA PLAYS! Its time to Pardew swallow his own words!

http://this11.com/boards/abExO5HafH.jpg

Jesus is going to have to pull off a miracle to stop Shola tonight.

:eek:

@sexpanther Alan Pardew

Benfica are a decent team, we have come up against lower league sides already this season and lost, we have learnt from that so will approach this game differently. Minnows is a strong word, one or two of their players would potentially fight for a place in our squad.

As limited as the bloke is I actually think tonight could be a good night to play Shola. I'd go something like

Krul

Simpson Taylor MYM Santon

Marv    Cabaye  Perch  Jonas

Cisse  Shola

As limited as the bloke is I actually think tonight could be a good night to play Shola. I'd go something like

Krul

Cisse  Shola

You'd leave Sissoko out for Perch then?

If we can put out one of our actual fullbacks it would be a boost, the midfield still looks fairly shocking though.

Just a repeat of our previous European games would be fine, keep it incredibly tight and boring and hope for a goal or a 0-0.

Krul

Cisse  Shola

Worst shit I've seen. That's even worse than the average Pardew thinking. Fuck me.

Guest Roger Kint

We'll concede on about 40 minutes after playing well, play poorly after HT and then concede again on 75... but we'll nick a late away goal imo. 2-1.

Would take that right now tbh

Will stand our ground for 30 mins, implode and concede twice before half time, come out fighting, Cissé will tap in from an offside position but get flagged offside. We will then concede a third around 70 mins shortly after someone (Cabaye) gets sent off. Shola will come on and the Alan Pardew thread on here will explode. 3-0 Benfica.

'Artur'

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_li7ixt0iOQ1qdikhoo1_r2_500.gif

He was not afraid to die... Old brave sir Robin!  ;D

As I expected this thread is going down fast.

I am just here to wish everyone a good game and above of all, may all of you have good FUN watching this.  O0

Guest neesy111

3-1 Benfica.

Some hope with the away goal for the return leg.

So your expectations for a match is losing 3-1?

:idiot2:

I'm realistic about our chances.  I predict us to win most games but this season that has been a disaster.

Krul

Cisse  Shola

On this occasion yes. Don't get me wrong I think Sissoko is a far, far better player than Perch but I don't see a lineup we can put out tonight that will outplay Benfica so I think a defensive and physical XI is our best chance of getting something.