Benfica 3 - 1 Newcastle United - 04/04/13 - post-match reaction from page 62

Dave

Sloppy in possession since the save to stop us scoring a 2nd. Apart from that we haven't done much wrong and if we play like we did before then there is no reason to fear this Benfica side. Also note that Benfica's attacks have looked less threatening since they have stopped catching us on the counter attack.

The first ten/fifteen minutes felt like watching the team that we could be, but that we're generally not tbh

The rest felt much more familiar :lol: :lol: :(

Jonas has been great.

Cabaye and Perch have been poor. If Cisse gets any more chances, he really needs to take them. As expected, when he receives the ball in their half Marv has looked lively, give him the ball in our half and you wish you hadn't.

So nice of Pardew to instruct us to stop playing that attractive positive football for the last 20 minutes of that half :lol:, tbf though been a great effort so far, well done lads!

How are we? I'm on the train now on my way home from the airport. How are we getting along? Send me a pm anyone who has the power to help a fellow supporter out with some kind of analysis. And let it not be Semtex or Mike.

We're looking good. Decent forechecking from Moose, Marv is playing the PG role like he lives in Orlando and Simpson thinks he's Kaepernick.

Guest neesy111

Our main problem is the space between the defence and midfield.  Perch & Cabaye who should be protecting the defence are both not doing it.

Guest tobiazvanderziaz

Priceless away goal even if they score another.

If this continues, im afraid they will score more than one...

Guest bimpy474

Scoreline is pretty great, performance was too until that few seconds when we hit the post and they scored. Since then they've noticably stepped up and we're struggling to cope with their passing and movement.

Pardew needs to tweak things a bit whilst retaining our attacking threat because if we get a foothold in the game again there's another goal for us here.

One thing that bugs the hell out of me is. Why have someone like Perch (usually Tiote), if they dont sit in front of the back four where this team are getting space.

Perch just chases it until he's completely passed out of the move. Just sit in the fucking middle ffs.