Alan Pardew

Mike

Ashley's a very cunning and shrewd businessman if he has control of something. He probably agreed to a heavy incentivized contract with multiple get-outs from either party and clauses to terminate with minimal fee payout to Pardew and his staff. Ashley may make some absolute bone-headed decisions, but he and his legal team would have protected the club from an 8 year payout man. 1-2 years are probably what I'd guess would be the maximum.

Just read that article posted after I wrote this btw. I just can't see that holding any weight man.

I just cannot see Mike Ashley of all people going "well you have had one good season, I'm going to give you a ludicrous contract when you would clearly accept a lot shorter one and leave myself having to pay a s*** load of money if it doesn't work out".

Not a big believer in ITK but the stuff being banded about previously makes a lot more sense.

Totally. Ashley clearly held all the cards.

Also, it says he gets paid 1.5mil a year - thought he was meant to be on a fraction of that.

The reports from when he signed the contract said the same thing (severance would be full contract).

Also reports of him being able to be released for a years wages, quite a few.

No way Ashley is that stupid.

No way. :lol:

Is there?

:scared:

What's the motivation for Ashley to put himself in that position? Could he really be fucking thick enough to believe that Pardew would be targeted by Man U or Chelsea or some shit?

Sincerely hope the dismal shitstain is sent packing the minute the final whistle blows against Arsenal.

I still think he stays if we stay up though, disgracefully.

http://bet.unibet.com/sites/default/files/styles/story_page/public/field/image/pardew_beard_0.jpg

http://i.minus.com/ibkG3mN1LrSB3X.gif

The face of someone who stands to gain 10m in a payoff? Don't think so.

Ashley is a businessman. He won't be so stupid as to put himself in the same situation as he did with sacking Souness, especially his philosophy is not to reward failure.

Guest diddimz

Ashley knows fuck all about football, maybe he was thinking that he could sell sell his manager like any player.

To give Pardew that sort of contract would be really dumb. Almost as dumb as buying the club without doing due diligence and not realising there was over £100m more debt than aticipated.

You'd think our "shrewd" billionaire owner couldn't be that dumb.

Pardew gets paid a year of his contract. As do all of the backroom staff.

Getting fed up of trying to explain this to people. Is there any concrete source?

Even journalists having a laugh about it. A few weeks ago, I made an appearance on a web-TV football talk-show to explain our demise this season. One of the first questions that was directed at me was "HOW expensive will this be? What the fuck were you thinking?".

Getting fed up of trying to explain this to people. Is there any concrete source?

Even journalists having a laugh about it. A few weeks ago, I made an appearance on a web-TV football talk-show to explain our demise this season. One of the first questions that was directed at me was "HOW expensive will this be? What the fuck were you thinking?".

Unprofessional language to be using on a web-TV football talk-show IMO :huff:

Yes I have a source.

Even journalists having a laugh about it. A few weeks ago, I made an appearance on a web-TV football talk-show to explain our demise this season. One of the first questions that was directed at me was "HOW expensive will this be? What the f*** were you thinking?".

Unprofessional language to be using on a web-TV football talk-show IMO :huff:

:lol:

I punched him square in the face. It's how Scando's roll.

Maybe Ashley just wanted to not worry about the manager for 8 years.

When he was given the contract we were still basking in the fact we'd gone into a season being tipped for relegation and stunned everyone by challenging for champions league places while doing stuff like beating Man U 3-0 in the process (fucking hell, remember that entire other lifetime? :lol:)

Some pundits were, with a straight face, talking about Pardew going to Liverpool or one day being England manager. At the very least  there was an impression that the teams around us were coverting him.

I don't think Ashley gave him an 8 year contract because he wanted him here until 2020. I think he was hoping for a big compensation package if another team wanted him. Just treating him like a player basically - find someone cheap, take a punt, increase their value and cash in if they move on. If he could con a desperate Liverpool out of £35m for a player, surely he could make a fair wedge  from a manager?

Of course the problem is that the wheels have fallen off. We just have to hope Ashley wasn't made over confident by the buzz around Pardew last season and took this possibility into account enough when drawing up the contract.

I hope, that all the fuss (deserved mind) about Ferguson and his legacy over the next few days will not cause a reassessment of what we need to do managerial wise on the boards behalf. Already on SSN they were talking about the early few years where he was so close to the sack etc.