Alan Pardew

Mike

Manchester City aren't this tidal wave of world football. They are a good team made up of very good players but to suggest we should expect to be that outclassed by them as of right?!

A well drilled team could of lost that game and maintained some respect. We are neither well drilled nor a team. Buck stops with Pardew on that one.

You better not read what Ian.W just posted in the match thread, you'll go volcanic.

:lol: I won't because I don't think anyone who disagrees with me is aggressively trying to argue with me. I understand where he is coming from, but I think he's wrong. I don't buy into clubs have moved so far ahead of us. We are falling further behind. We looked a shambles last night. Again where does the buck stop?

Say what you want about players signed but he should be getting the best out what he has at his disposal. He quite clearly isn't. Nor has he for some time. This to me suggests he has no clue whatsoever about how to address our decline.

Saying Man City are too good is just being a Pardew apologist. What we witnessed on the pitch last night was evidence of our shortcomings the fact we played an expensive and good team just brought it into sharper focus.

FWIW I don't think Pardew is getting the best out of what he has either. I've never, ever said that. But at the same time, Man City are too good.

Yeah, I know you haven't. I just feel that when you say Man City are too good you're letting that performance off the hook. There was a lot wrong last night irrespective of the opposition. You shouldn't let their quality denigrate from the problems we have.

The most worrying thing for me was that we appear to have learned nothing from last season despite Pardew saying otherwise. We look the same disorganised shambles as last year, no creativity, set pieces just as bad, mentally weak, cant keep ball for longer that a few seconds, end up hoofing it or playing silly direct passes.

Why no build up play, working it out to wings, why Jonas still playing as a winger, why Cisse stranded up front still and why always playing under pressure. I watched a lot of football this weekend and we were by far the worst team playing

Sums it up nicely for me

Manchester City aren't this tidal wave of world football. They are a good team made up of very good players but to suggest we should expect to be that outclassed by them as of right?!

A well drilled team could of lost that game and maintained some respect. We are neither well drilled nor a team. Buck stops with Pardew on that one.

You better not read what Ian.W just posted in the match thread, you'll go volcanic.

:lol: I won't because I don't think anyone who disagrees with me is aggressively trying to argue with me. I understand where he is coming from, but I think he's wrong. I don't buy into clubs have moved so far ahead of us. We are falling further behind. We looked a shambles last night. Again where does the buck stop?

Say what you want about players signed but he should be getting the best out what he has at his disposal. He quite clearly isn't. Nor has he for some time. This to me suggests he has no clue whatsoever about how to address our decline.

Saying Man City are too good is just being a Pardew apologist. What we witnessed on the pitch last night was evidence of our shortcomings the fact we played an expensive and good team just brought it into sharper focus.

FWIW I don't think Pardew is getting the best out of what he has either. I've never, ever said that. But at the same time, Man City are too good.

Yeah, I know you haven't. I just feel that when you say Man City are too good you're letting that performance off the hook. There was a lot wrong last night irrespective of the opposition. You shouldn't let their quality denigrate from the problems we have.

I know where everyone who says this is coming from, but I also think it's tempting to exaggerate our problems after a heavy defeat like that, and being outplayed so badly. It's a natural reaction obviously, but I think we'll know more after a few more winnable games. It was basically the worst possible opening fixture.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see Newcastle competing against everyone, I find it hard to watch being outplayed so comprehensively as well.

Guest bimpy474

Fwiw Wigan went to the Etihad last season and gave them a good game with a much inferior squad to what we have.

Because they had a manager who wants to attack, and doesn't care about the ability of the opposition.

Fwiw Wigan went to the Etihad last season and gave them a good game with a much inferior squad to what we have.

Because they had a manager who wants to attack, and doesn't care about the ability of the opposition.

They also ended up in the Championship TBF. But I agree with the basic point, Martinez is very positive.

As I've said in the match thread, I don't think it was the best game to judge our progress on. Not many teams could have lived with Man City playing like that. The next four or five games should give us a better idea of that. Admittedly, the early signs aren't great.

I don't really buy into this petulant behaviour being a direct result of lost faith in the manager, like. You see it time and time again, when a team is being pissed on. People react as best they can, in the heat of the moment, which is often by lashing out. Guess it's a pride thing.

I just think the evidence is starting to mount up.

Wigan were humped mercilessly at Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea and even received reasonably forceful sex at SJP. Results like this happen in football when teams are up against those vastly superior financially (Ermagerd, sovereign states lol).

Agree with Happy Face, the next few games are the real test. Anything less than 10 points from the next 6 league games is unacceptable.

Wigan were humped mercilessly at Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea and even received reasonably forceful sex at SJP. Results like this happen in football when teams are up against those vastly superior financially (Ermagerd, sovereign states lol).

Agree with Happy Face, the next few games are the real test. Anything less than 10 points from the next 6 league games is unacceptable.

Fair assessment. It's easy to think of the times other teams put up better fights against the top sides, and easy to forget the amount of footballing abuse handed out on a regular basis in this league.

Not that it makes it easier to take really, but it helps to understand how far ahead a few teams really are.

Guest icemanblue

As I've said in the match thread, I don't think it was the best game to judge our progress on. Not many teams could have lived with Man City playing like that. The next four or five games should give us a better idea of that. Admittedly, the early signs aren't great.

I don't really buy into this petulant behaviour being a direct result of lost faith in the manager, like. You see it time and time again, when a team is being pissed on. People react as best they can, in the heat of the moment, which is often by lashing out. Guess it's a pride thing.

That's fair enough, but I just don't see it.

THe reasonably forceful sex at SJP is the same game where they weren't much worse and got a player sent off and still weren't much worse than us?

That's fair enough, but I just don't see it.

We've all been in teams where you're getting totally outplayed and you get incredibly frustrated. It might be because the manager has lost them, but I don't think it necessarily follows.

We do have a couple of players with suspect characters when things are going wrong though, Debuchy (petulant, reckless) and Taylor (mental) being the key ones IMO.

THe reasonably forceful sex at SJP is the same game where they weren't much worse and got a player sent off and still weren't much worse than us?

Were beaten within 20 minutes against a Pardew side. Embarrassing. Martinez instilled petulance in the squad, forcing Figueroa to get himself sent off.

A catalogue of errors on display, no different to last season.

No shape, at least not aligned to any gameplan. (No gameplan is a possible cause there.)

No style apparent, in terms of intent. Were we supposed to be defensive? Certainly not offensive. (Except to  the eyes.)

No fluidity, see above.

No neat passing, panic passing was closer to the order of the day. Get rid of it!

No movement into space, no awareness when it happened by accident.

No (next to no) support for Cisse, wrong style of play to serve Cisse and not enough bodies in attack when we got close to their area.

(There was one point Cisse centred the ball into the box only there was no midfielder running on, pretty much any other team would have had three or four in there trying to get on the end of something.)

No heart. :anguish:

It's not going to magically change now, it is a continuation of last season.

http://possil.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/frazerdm1112_228x374.jpgLast line of defence..

It's got to be hurtful to your pride to be tonked week in, week out - and the way this season has started, must make it feel like the 0-3 and 0-6s results happened only last week. The lashing out with stupid fouls/throwing the ball away is unprofessional though. The players should take responsibility for it (they are adults, afterall), but the manager should be doing more to avoid them being in a situation where they are almost constantly under the cosh too.

As individuals, they probably esteem themselves to be able enough to make a good fist of a contest with Man City/Liverpool, and to dominate Sunderland, so to wilt so pitifully must wound their pride. Add in the general lack of ambition permeating the club, the defeatist attitude of the manager and an increasingly uneasy crowd and it becomes a downward spiral from which it is difficult to escape IMO.

Hope the group can put last night to the back of their minds and have some confidence going into the weekend so we are the footballing aggressors come matchday. I fully expect to hear comments from Pardew talking up West Ham, however.

When Europe was apparently affecting the team it was supposedly because of the lack of preparation time. When were the fixtures announced? Plenty of time to work on a game plan, irrespective of the Cabaye situation.

There's no shame in simply being outplayed by a better team. Last night was more than that.