Do we deserve to go down?

Guest ItalianMagpie

It's a daft question because Wigan are DEFINITELY going down apparently. :lol:

Erm, no. It's a daft question as the only measure we have of 'deservedness' is the league table. Therefore after 38 games, the league table will inform us as to whether we deserve to go down. At least make sense in your bait pls.

But yes, Wigan will go down. Stop being so angsty bonny lad.

As a former obsessed supporter, I decided to withdraw to a more passive supporter at the end of last season

Please explain how you achieved this ?

I've been trying to become a more sane, rational person where NUFC is concerned for decades, without any success whatsoever  :)

Try thinking of Ashley and Llambias trousering your hard-earned dosh...and Pardew being paid with it...

If those really were the criteria for ending an obsession wouldn't it have been possible acheive that decades ago and long before those three were ever heard of ?

'Deserve' is a strange concept, but it does look like one of the relegated teams will go down with a higher than average number of points. You could argue that the third team will be a bit unlucky from that point of view.

But in terms of quality of performance, yes, we are where we belong. And my worry is that whilst our current momentum is downwards, the other teams have an upward momentum. We need a good performance and result against West Ham to restore confidence.

As a former obsessed supporter, I decided to withdraw to a more passive supporter at the end of last season

I've been trying to become a more sane, rational person where NUFC is concerned for decades, without any success whatsoever  :)

Try thinking of Ashley and Llambias trousering your hard-earned dosh...and Pardew being paid with it...

If those really were the criteria for ending an obsession wouldn't it have been possible acheive that decades ago and long before those three were ever heard of ?

What has kept me going is the rather negative idea that the minute I abandon them, the bastards will start winning trophies.

What has kept me going is the rather negative idea that the minute I abandon them, the bastards will start winning trophies.

Change those two words for "die" and that's about the way I feel  :)

The club and fans don't deserve it. But that's not the way football works, if it were based on those factors teams like ourselves would be challenging for honours every year and the likes of Wigan and QPR would be nowhere near the PL. Unfortunately our league form over the entire season has put us into this mess and if we finish in the bottom three we'll absolutely deserve it, although had the officials done their job properly at what has turned out in the end to be the most crucial game of our season Wigan away, we would be at least 3 points closer to safety and probably be safe now.

I would normally dismiss this question out of hand but I reckon the McManaman tackle (and non-punishment) and obvious handball in the Wigan game for the game-winning goal right at the death were unlucky enough to give this matter some consideration. The handball goal enough was a three point swing to the team who needs them most to push us into a relegation spot and was late enough in the game to be called a deciding factor.

Before anyone jumps down my throat, this has been a shit season and Pardew needs to go. I also know we had lucky incidents in other games, but some incidents are more important than others. The "poor decisions even themselves out" idea is nonsense, as shown by the major teams surrounding the ref at every opportunity they think they can get an advantage. Decisions affect results and results affect league placings. When the margins are slim, every advantage helps.

If it does come to relegation, expect the Wigan game to be completely forgotten, like the Viduka disallowed goal the last time. We may have been turboshit, but that goal would have had us finishing in 17th. 17th doesn't go down.

I'll repeat that Pardew is a clown and has us in a precarious position where the big incidents in the Wigan game are looking far far more calamitous than they should be. That said, if we play shit against QPR at least and don't get a result, then I doubt we'll deserve any sympathy at all.

Fans no, manager/coaching staff resounding yes, players; not sure.

Two weeks ago I would have said players no, but the gutless performances lately have got me confused; are they poorly coached, is communication an issue, are there divisions within the camp, or are they just not as good as I thought they were?  :undecided:

OP is getting some unfair flak, but I guess the forum is in a beastly mood of late (read: this season).

If you strip the question to its barest bones, of course the team in 18th does not deserve to go down more than the team in 17th, but football isn't a game of numbers only (even though numbers will ultimately determine where a team finishes). If the numbers are all that interests you and you have no time for the OP's "waffle", as it has been described, then go follow the London fucking Stock Exchange instead.

Of course the attacking intent and ambitions of a team matters, the type of football, how they use their resources, the fans, whether they are twats (cf. Stoke) etc. On that basis, I think the OP is spot on - we do deserve to go down, annoyingly.

Then again, Wigan's handling of the Haidara-McManaman stuff was awful.

OP is getting some unfair flak, but I guess the forum is in a beastly mood of late (read: this season).

If you strip the question to its barest bones, of course the team in 18th does not deserve to go down more than the team in 17th, but football isn't a game of numbers only (even though numbers will ultimately determine where a team finishes). If the numbers are all that interests you and you have no time for the OP's "waffle", as it has been described, then go follow the London fucking Stock Exchange instead.

Of course the attacking intent and ambitions of a team matters, the type of football, how they use their resources, the fans, whether they are twats (cf. Stoke) etc. On that basis, I think the OP is spot on - we do deserve to go down, annoyingly.

Then again, Wigan's handling of the Haidara-McManaman stuff was awful.

Well said. Football fans argue about who deserved to win a match every week yet this discussion is out of bounds. :lol:

haha, you guys are insane  :D Well, the 'solution' is rather obvious, it's not necessarily a simple step nor is it reversible in any way... get a baby! I do watch some Champions League matches on cable channels from time to time, though watch is a very strong word to use... I get glimpses  :)

If I'm allowed another, Cisse has had a difficult season, but he didn't deserve to have his goal against the mackems disallowed. It would have evened the scores at 1-1.

When the game ends up swinging badly one way, it's easy to forget how important certain incidents may have been when the game was still even. The classic example is England Germany with the Lampard goal. For all England's woeful performance in the first half, they would still have gone in at 2-2 having grabbed two before half time. Germany's third and fourth came on the counter as a hapless England pushed for an equalizer they shouldn't have needed. The net result was England becoming a laughing stock and replays of Ozil pissing past Barry. The Lampard goal was dismissed as an irrelevance, which it wasn't 43 minutes or whatever it was from the start.

Substitute McKeag & Co for Ashley and that is what many of us did in the early 90s to force the board out - more difficult this time because Ashley has far more dosh than they did.

Substitute McKeag & Co for Ashley and that is what many of us did in the early 90s to force the board out - more difficult this time because Ashley has far more dosh than they did.

Remember this, the 1989 'Mags For Change' boycott.  My dad had the car sticker.

Based on football quality played ... The amount of games we've been totally outplayed... Summer of inactivity... Arrogance that we were safe after the Stoke win... Yes...

seaon ticket holder I was talking to today asked me this question, I told her imo , Mike Ashley, Derek Lambias,and Alan Pardew deserved to be relegated, but not the fans.

but when do fans ever deserve to go?- Villa maybe, Wigan aye.

Based on football quality played ... The amount of games we've been totally outplayed... Summer of inactivity... Arrogance that we were safe after the Stoke win... Yes...

There was so many false dawns this season, it's unbelievable. How the hell could we not gather ANY momentum? Chelsea game, Stoke game, Fulham game, FFS.

As above if we finish in the bottom three we deserve to go down.

That said we'd be in far less trouble now if Wigan's last minute winner against us had been rightly disallowed...

As above if we finish in the bottom three we deserve to go down.

That said we'd be in far less trouble now if Wigan's last minute winner against us had been rightly disallowed...

Reading away.

That draw away against Everton was fortunate to say the least.

It feels like that game was 3 seasons ago.

It is crazy. I still felt like I was waiting for the season to start until the Benfica home tie  :lol: