Sunderland

Nobody

Football used to be about winning stuff.

It still is. We won the 2006 Intertoto Cup and as a result qualified for the Uefa Cup. The prize is the same, and it was a European competition, not just domestic. So is that more or less successful than a League Cup win?

The Champions League is a better competition than the Europa League. Ergo finishing 4th is better than winning the league cup, right?

If all that matters is winning, and the fact it's a second tier competition is irrelevant, then we won the Championship.

You really have to WANT to believe it, and do some delicate mental gymnastics, to consider a league cup win as the best thing in the north east for 40 years.

Aye, can't wait to tell the grandkids about that one.

Football used to be about winning stuff.

It still is. We won the 2006 Intertoto Cup and as a result qualified for the Uefa Cup. The prize is the same, and it was a European competition, not just domestic. So is that more or less successful than a League Cup win?

The Champions League is a better competition than the Europa League. Ergo finishing 4th is better than winning the league cup, right?

If all that matters is winning, and the fact it's a second tier competition is irrelevant, then we won the Championship.

You really have to WANT to believe it, and do some delicate mental gymnastics, to consider a league cup win as the best thing in the north east for 40 years.

Aye, can't wait to tell the grandkids about that one.

They all count, apparently.

They're safe as houses.

Wouldn't say they are safe as houses, they have loads of away games against the top 6 still to play.

Newcastle (a) D

Hull (h) D

Man City (a) L

FA Cup 5th Round

Arsenal (a) L

League Cup Final

Liverpool (a) L

Palace (h) W

Norwich (a) D

West Ham (h) W

Spurs (a) L

Everton (h) L

Chelsea (a) L

Cardiff (h) W

Man Utd (a) L

Swansea (h) L

W3 D3 L8

Would put them on 39 pts, if they drop any of their wins to draws or draws to defeats they are in trouble still.

Think you got your sums wrong there as that is only 33 points

They're safe as houses.

Wouldn't say they are safe as houses, they have loads of away games against the top 6 still to play.

Newcastle (a) D

Hull (h) D

Man City (a) L

FA Cup 5th Round

Arsenal (a) L

League Cup Final

Liverpool (a) L

Palace (h) W

Norwich (a) D

West Ham (h) W

Spurs (a) L

Everton (h) L

Chelsea (a) L

Cardiff (h) W

Man Utd (a) L

Swansea (h) L

W3 D3 L8

Would put them on 39 pts, if they drop any of their wins to draws or draws to defeats they are in trouble still.

33pts aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand they're gone!

They're safe as houses.

Newcastle (a) D

Hull (h) D

Man City (a) L

FA Cup 5th Round

Arsenal (a) L

League Cup Final

Liverpool (a) L

Palace (h) W

Norwich (a) D

West Ham (h) W

Spurs (a) L

Everton (h) L

Chelsea (a) L

Cardiff (h) W

Man Utd (a) L

Swansea (h) L

W3 D3 L8

Totally pointless exercise tbh.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

They're safe as houses.

Newcastle (a) D

Hull (h) D

Man City (a) L

FA Cup 5th Round

Arsenal (a) L

League Cup Final

Liverpool (a) L

Palace (h) W

Norwich (a) D

West Ham (h) W

Spurs (a) L

Everton (h) L

Chelsea (a) L

Cardiff (h) W

Man Utd (a) L

Swansea (h) L

W3 D3 L8

33pts aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand they're gone!

:lol: South Park ?

I said all along this season they were a decent side, people got very defensive.

They aren't, they are a poor side surrounded by teams who are worse

I don't agree with that, they have a solid defense, Borini, Johnson and Ki are good players, and Fletcher is out of form but better than any of our strikers. Manone is a good keeper too.

Fletcher is not better than any of our strikers. :lol:

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/remy-appeal.870725/

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's like they're reading through the dictionary but don't understand some of the words in it.

Today the forum has reached 'D' for desperate. It is a negative word So that's what they're calling us today.

At the same time, they're all contacting the FA en masse to tell them Remy spat and not to rescind his ban. The reason for this is that they really, really, really don't want us to play our first choice team on Saturday. Anyway, back to 'D'. They are most definitely not desperate, we are.

I'm sure some of them would see the irony, but will probably have to wait for them to get to 'I' first.

It's like they're reading through the dictionary but don't understand some of the words in it.

Today the forum has reached 'D' for desperate. It is a negative word So that's what they're calling us today.

At the same time, they're all contacting the FA en masse to tell them Remy spat and not to rescind his ban. The reason for this is that they really, really, really don't want us to play our first choice team on Saturday. Anyway, back to 'D'. They are most definitely not desperate, we are.

I'm sure some of them would see the irony, but will probably have to wait for them to get to 'I' first.

Did I miss something? Can't remember any spitting incident with Remy.

All this talk of base behaviour has me wondering what the poor dressing room cleaners may have to face on Saturday evening if Gus loses.

think it's at the beginning (when camera is close up), you see him spit some fluid out of his mouth without looking where it's going.Shot cuts to another camera before you can see if it actually landed on the other player in shot. Nothing worth getting in a tizz about.

No, that's Buckley. Bridcutt will be their Cattermole replacement

Yep - exactly right. I wouldn't be too surprised if they move Clattermole on this window to Hull or Palace or someone.

Bridcutt is very tidy in possession, a good player who links the ball from the back to the wide men well.

I saw a lot of Poyet's Brighton side and Bridcutt was often (in fact, more often than not) the get out ball for the Keeper. When their keeper has possession, the full backs would push up to the halfway line, the centre halves would move up and apart and Bridcutt would drop deep, like a 3rd Centre Back, to collect the ball and distribute it up the pitch, almost always through their full backs.

It's a very possession orientated concept but it'll be a lot trickier in the premiership where the quality of forwards is that much better. Not only that, the pace at which the opposition can break should they 'nick' possession off you is lethal.

Bridcutt is probably the most important signing Poyet will make as it'll be his job to create the platform for every possession based attack. He's still young and Arsenal have shown a very keen interest in him at Brighton.

I think he's been fairly injury prone over the last few years though iirc.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/363096/Sunderland-warn-fans-against-the-use-of-er-polytechnics-ahead-of-Newcastle-derby

Ahead of the Black Cats clash with fierce North-East rivals Newcastle on Saturday, the club have sent a letter to Mackem fans.

Chief executive Margaret Byrne asked supporters travelling to Newcastle's St James' Park to use official club transport.

But, in a bizarre announcement, she also warned fans "about the dangers of flares and polytechnics"!

“It might not stop Newcastle fans chanting 'you're not studying any more' on Saturday”

She wrote: "We have also been asked by the FA to remind supporters about the dangers of flares and polytechnics.

"We sincerely hope that these do not become an issue for our club.

"Both Sunderland AFC and Newcastle United want the derby games to be remembered for the right reasons."

Bemused fans will be pleased to hear their club bosses probably aren't too concerned about the now-defunct further education institutions.

Instead, Byrne almost certainly meant to to write "pyrotechnic" instead.

But that might not stop Toon fans chanting "you're not studying any more" on Saturday!

Think the fans have been nice and sedated so far this season, what with being comfortable in 8th and having the odd good result etc.

However, I think things will turn very sour should we lose on Saturday. The fans loved Yohan and with the extremely poor summer transfer window still fresh in the memory. The failures in this one should be enough to get fans voicing their angry once more.

I'd love to think we could force some kind of change, starting with Kinnear being removed from the club as a gesture of goodwill. But unfortunately I fear apathy is far to rife within our fan base now and we are stuck.