Sunderland

Nobody

Can't stand Defoe.  Never liked him and that awful put on accent and watching him try to get his bling watch into shot during his painful interviews.

It's a sign of desperation for sure.  3.5 year deal and £80k a week though.  He's 32 FFS!  But he does score goals in fairness and at least they are actually getting players in. 

Jellus marra

Once again, they have set the transfer window alight.

Can't stand Defoe.  Never liked him and that awful put on accent and watching him try to get his bling watch into shot during his painful interviews.

It's a sign of desperation for sure.  3.5 year deal and £80k a week though.  He's 32 FFS!  But he does score goals in fairness and at least they are actually getting players in. 

Jellus marra

Once again, they have set the transfer window alight.

Well, windows makes a change from portholes.

Defoe's never been prolific. Only managed more than 14 PL goals once.

1 goal in the 14 games he played 13-14.

He started 3 premier league games ffs :lol:

I don't particularly like Jermain Defoe, he's obscenely one dimensional and only performs well in certain formations, but he's a perfectly serviceable striker for Sunderland, and a pretty massive improvement over Jozy Altidore. For this season at least.

Make no mistake. He's a good signing for them, money aside.

Defoe scores goals, and he will for them.

He'll score enough goals to keep them up. That will pay for the transfer in itself. Short term move obviously.

He has 47 in over 130 games since he moved back to Spurs from Portsmouth.

He's not this born natural finisher he's claimed to be by the media, he'll still score against us mind but he isn't that good.

Is that including sub appearances? It's not bad at all regardless, but then again he offers next to nowt other than goals.

Defoe's never been prolific. Only managed more than 14 PL goals once.

1 goal in the 14 games he played 13-14.

He started 3 premier league games ffs :lol:

I don't particularly like Jermain Defoe, he's obscenely one dimensional and only performs well in certain formations, but he's a perfectly serviceable striker for Sunderland, and a pretty massive improvement over Jozy Altidore. For this season at least.

your making my point for me.

its been 18 months -2  years since he played and score regular at premier league level.

Don't think that makes any difference at all, him not being given a chance doesn't exactly say he's not good enough anymore. When given the opportunity, he's scored goals at a decent rate, and hasn't looked like dropping off. He's just too one dimensional for a top-half team so ends up doing well somewhere and then failing into the fringes when a team is competing for greater things. He's Mike Ashley's ideal striker.

11 goals in 14 starts for Toronto in a period that Toronto were shit and that he wanted away & struggled with injuries. Seems reasonable to me.

So far this season, Sunderland have 18 goals in the PL, 4 scored by Adam Johnson, 4 scored by Steven Fletcher. I'm pretty sure Jermain Defoe at 32 will be an improvement upon that. Not that I think he's all that much better than Fletcher, he's just not made of glass.

Aye I wouldn't know or bother with how many starts he has, but as Dropout said he's only scored more than 14 once in his career.

In any case he's clearly better than Altidore and if he keeps them up they'll consider it a success and rightly so but that's not my argument.

Don't think that makes any difference at all, him not being given a chance doesn't exactly say he's not good enough anymore. When given the opportunity, he's scored goals at a decent rate, and hasn't looked like dropping off. He's just too one dimensional for a top-half team so ends up doing well somewhere and then failing into the fringes when a team is competing for greater things. He's Mike Ashley's ideal striker.

11 goals in 14 starts for Toronto in a period that Toronto were shit and that he wanted away & struggled with injuries. Seems reasonable to me.

So far this season, Sunderland have 18 goals in the PL, 4 scored by Adam Johnson, 4 scored by Steven Fletcher. I'm pretty sure Jermain Defoe at 32 will be an improvement upon that. Not that I think he's all that much better than Fletcher, he's just not made of glass.

yeah fair enough- I was not saying hes not good enough btw. Id have him here for the rest of this season tbh.

Im just not as certain as some people , I keep reading- 'he'll get them the goals they need' etc.

Im simply not convinced - even his best ever form would equate to around 6 goals the rest of this season.- Is that enough for them? can he match or better  his best ever form with them?

Defoe is quite a greedy player and in a team that creates f*** all, if he doesn't start to score straight away, their fans will turn on him pretty quickly.

FFS  :lol: We never even turned on Altidore !

Consider the amount of racial abuse your good strikers have to put up with he should be thankful.

Wouldn't surprise me if Dozy gets something similar. Bradley Wright-Phillips has 27 in 32, and Robbie Keane 19 in 29. Shite league, and has to be hard to get back up to PL level.

He will score maybes 4 goals the rest of the season, keep them up then be shite next year.

Wouldn't surprise me if Dozy gets something similar. Bradley Wright-Phillips has 27 in 32, and Robbie Keane 19 in 29. Shite league, and has to be hard to get back up to PL level.

He will score maybes 4 goals the rest of the season, keep them up then be shite next year.

And if he had found difficulty scoring for Toronto, you'd be holding it against him too. Not sure what more he could've done in MLS all things considered.

He's been gone from the Premier League less than a year. He won't have forgotten how to play at this level.

Yes, scoring in the MLS is no guarantee of success in any other league, but short of scoring 35 goals, there's not much else Defoe could have done to show that he's still doing what he's always done. He's been gone for a very minimal amount of time, nothing has changed.