Darren Bent

Fenham Mag

Where's this myth coming from that Yanga-Mbiwa isn't very good in the air btw? Especially compared to Taylor. Yanga-Mbiwa has a hell of a jump on him and I can't say I've ever really saw Taylor bully out a centre forward.

Coloccini looked weak as piss in the air in his first season.  Mbiwa isn't weak in the slightest, he's a bit tentative at the moment as he gets used to the league.

This is probably the correct answer. I remember when Alan Smith used to have to stand in front of Colo to stop him being dominated on every long ball.

Guest Fumaca

Mapou looked great when he first arrived, his confidence just took a bit of a hit with our poor results.

Think he'll prove to be an important player for us this season.

As this is a Bent thread - would everyone rather have Kone?

Similar type of player

Mapou looked great when he first arrived, his confidence just took a bit of a hit with our poor results.

Similar type of player

But less of a mackem.

In seriousness, don't know that much about Kone, but really don't want Bent to join, mainly because I'm certain it would mean pairing up with Cisse in a 442.

Similar type of player

Agree on Mbiwa, I think he's going to be a quality for us.  On Kone and Bent, they're very different players, couldn't be much more different as strikers to be honest.  Also yeah I'd absolutely love to have Kone here instead of Bent.  Bent is a 100% goal poacher, with a lot of chances created for him he'll score lots of goals, but he does nothing else at all.  Kone is the kind of player who can nick goals (1 in 2.9 is still a good record), but he can also come deep and link up play, as well as being able to run at players.  He could play up front as part of a 2 or wide in a front 3, much more to his game.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Where's this myth coming from that Yanga-Mbiwa isn't very good in the air btw? Especially compared to Taylor. Yanga-Mbiwa has a hell of a jump on him and I can't say I've ever really saw Taylor bully out a centre forward.

Danny Graham gave Yapou the run around, other than that I've seen nothing to be concerned about.

Erm.... Colo has gotten better in the air but he's still fairly poor compared to a lot of CB's and some strikers.

He's certainly not in the top bracket, but he's good enough and in some games has dominated there.  Anyway the point is he improved a lot from his first season when he could easily have been described as weak as piss in the air.  I think Yanga-Mbiwa should be given a season before he's declared weak as piss, that's all.

Erm.... Colo has gotten better in the air but he's still fairly poor compared to a lot of CB's and some strikers.

He's certainly not in the top bracket, but he's good enough and in some games has dominated there.  Anyway the point is he improved a lot from his first season when he could easily have been described as weak as p*ss in the air.  I think Yanga-Mbiwa should be given a season before he's declared weak as p*ss, that's all.

Point is - it's one of the weaker areas of his game. Aerial ability needs to be one of the strongest points about his partner. Same thing with strength and pace. I think Taylor compliments Colo better. I'm sure Taylor will break down and we'll see that partnership anyway. Then we'll see.

Replacing Jonas with a genuinely creative player would elevate the side beyond belief.

..and would also leave Santon open to getting ripped apart every game. Jonas goes then fine, but then we need an experienced  proper left back.

Santon can learn how to defend. Or be dropped for Haidara/Mbiwa

Haidara makes Santon look like a great defender.

Anyway, a creative, fast forward in Jonas' place would offer far more protection than Jonas who gives the ball away constantly and offers no attacking threat to pin a side back on the left.

He's certainly not in the top bracket, but he's good enough and in some games has dominated there.  Anyway the point is he improved a lot from his first season when he could easily have been described as weak as p*ss in the air.  I think Yanga-Mbiwa should be given a season before he's declared weak as p*ss, that's all.

Point is - it's one of the weaker areas of his game. Aerial ability needs to be one of the strongest points about his partner. Same thing with strength and pace. I think Taylor compliments Colo better. I'm sure Taylor will break down and we'll see that partnership anyway. Then we'll see.

One of the weaker area's but still good enough.  Its not like Taylor covers for him constantly in that area, its more that Coloccini isn't good enough in the air to cover for others (like the rather limp Williamson).

Replacing Jonas with a genuinely creative player would elevate the side beyond belief.

..and would also leave Santon open to getting ripped apart every game. Jonas goes then fine, but then we need an experienced  proper left back.

Santon can learn how to defend. Or be dropped for Haidara/Mbiwa

Haidara makes Santon look like a great defender.

He really doesn't like.

Haidara's good going forward but he's a terrible defender. Doesn't have a clue yet.

I don't think he's looked any worse defensively than Santon though, granted we haven't seen much of him so its hard to judge, but then I don't rate Santon as a defender.

As a LB Mapou is the best defender, then Haidara and then Santon who is the most positionaly challenged defender we have had for a long time. Going forward its the opposite. If Mapou doesn't start instead of Taylor (he should) then he should start at LB.

One of the weaker area's but still good enough.  Its not like Taylor covers for him constantly in that area, its more that Coloccini isn't good enough in the air to cover for others (like the rather limp Williamson).

Williamson wins a higher % of aerial duels than Colo. So does Taylor. It's only "good enough" if his partner is very good. Colo is average to poor in the air. Same thing with pace - Colo's slow. same thing with strength - he's weak. But his brain, composure, feet and reading of the game are great. His partner needs to be physically strong and good in the air.