Darren Bent

Fenham Mag

This really could go on a fair while. Villa want him out but are asking a fairly high price for an unwanted player. Newcastle are in no rush to buy so are happy to play waiting game for maybe Villa to get desperate to sell and drop price. Cat and mouse transfer this one but it does seem likely imo that we will buy him. However i don't think this would be our only signing, can certainly see us bring in a creative/winger type as well at least.

Benteke has put a transfer request in - they may keep Bent now

Of course they won't.

The Benteke situation won't just have developed today. Lambert stuck Bent with the kids last week. It's not like this is a shock.

Even though Benteke has put in a transfer request, I'd still say there's more chance of him being with us next season than Bent - that's one bridge which has been well and truly burnt.

Villa's treatment of Bent is an odd one, unless he really has done something utterly heinous. Are they hoping that by effectively giving up any hope of their original asking price and putting him in with the youth team, he won't go about asking for a settlement on his contract?

I can't see why any club would go in with a fee as a starting offer. Surely the arrangement with Villa depends on Bent taking a pay cut and how much he would want up fron in order to agree to that.

Villa's treatment of Bent is an odd one, unless he really has done something utterly heinous. Are they hoping that by effectively giving up any hope of their original asking price and putting him in with the youth team, he won't go about asking for a settlement on his contract?

I don't get it, either, to be honest. There's no need for it.

I suspect it's because all parties know there are enough irons in the fire for him to be off.

We've gone to Germany today on a pre-season trip, though. Would there have been any point involving him in that?

If we added Bent and Remy to our strike force I'd be well happy with that like.

If Cisse stays then I would agree (assuming Remy doesn't go down). Fuck knows how we'd keep them all happy though, in a 40 game season.

If we added Bent and Remy to our strike force I'd be well happy with that like.

If Cisse stays then I would agree (assuming Remy doesn't go down). f*** knows how we'd keep them all happy though, in a 40 game season.

It would be pretty easy IMO considering Remy can and most likely will play on the wing.

Get Remy and Hatem in the two wide spots and get Bent to compete with Cisse over the Central striking spot.

Guest icemanblue

Seems like we're not buying him then?

Unlucky. :razz:

There's a question mark there, Dave, you woman.

Good morning to me.

He's not a bad signing in himself, the problem is what it will do to our team and our system. I really, really love Cisse and I would build everything around making chances for him. I can't see him working with Bent in a 442, but if they compete I guess it's fair enough. Just as bad, if we go for one up front and pick Bent no matter who is playing best.