Darren Bent

Fenham Mag

Guest icemanblue

He asked for quotes (it was all just based on negativity apparently), he's got them now. :)

He asked if there had been any quotes or new developments, as he hadn't seen them.

You're being weird.

Guest neesy111

This will be a dreadful signing if it comes off.

I fear the same, not really because he's a bad player but because he might cause more problems than he'll solve.

This is my fear with all signings at the moment is how will they fit into the team.  The team is what we are building, not a bunch of good individuals.

I don't see what the problem with Bent is. He has never failed to score 1 in 2 in the Premier League when given the minutes, and he has done so on relatively poor teams.

Obviously this is not the right signing to make if you're looking to play fluid, attractive football but I honestly couldn't care less at this point. There's nobody better at bundling the ball into the back of the net for relatively poor teams and that will be a godsend for us this season.

He asked for quotes (it was all just based on negativity apparently), he's got them now. :)

He asked if there had been any quotes or new developments, as he hadn't seen them.

You're being weird.

I was referring mostly to earlier in the thread tbh, the unlucky thing was just a gentle prod about timing. Dunno why it's weird, or why you're bothered.

I don't see what the problem with Bent is. He has never failed to score 1 in 2 in the Premier League when given the minutes, and he has done so on relatively poor teams.

Obviously this is not the right signing to make if you're looking to play fluid, attractive football but I honestly couldn't care less at this point. There's nobody better at bundling the ball into the back of the net for relatively poor teams and that will be a godsend for us this season.

cisse done that in germany and here till last season. only room for one player like that in a team IMO.

I fear the same, not really because he's a bad player but because he might cause more problems than he'll solve.

This is my fear with all signings at the moment is how will they fit into the team.  The team is what we are building, not a bunch of good individuals.

To a certain extent maybe. But Remy is someone in a position we really need. So is Bent in theory, but the big caveat is that he's used as competition for Cisse and not his partner.

cisse done that in germany and here till last season. only room for one player like that in a team IMO.

If anything I think last season proves that we definitely need a spare.

Also, Bent is probably better at this job than Cisse is.

My main concern is that he's similar to Cisse and can only play up front on his own. That and Pardew rates him too highly so he'll probably start most games. I'd much prefer a different type of striker so we had real options to use.

If it was a fact that Bent was coming as an alternative to Cisse it would be a signing that's pretty much impossible to disagree with. I think most people's worry is the implications for the way we'll play.

I mean, obviously if we're looking two play two up front with Bent and Cisse I'd have problems.

i don't agree that bent is better at that role. also don't think we'd be after him as a spare. honestly think if bent comes then cisse is away.

i don't agree that bent is better at that role. also don't think we'd be after him as a spare. honestly think if bent comes then cisse is away.

If Cisse's away then Cisse's away, whether we have a replacement has nothing to do with it.

If it comes to that I'd rather have Bent than nothing.

Worth bearing in mind the comments from Cisse the other day about playing up front. I mean, I didn't expect him to be on the wing again this season but if it's just one place they're competing for then I'm not sure that both he and Bent will be happy. We simply won't have enough games unless they are rotated constantly irrespective of goals.

Funnily enough we could have done with this problem last season...

Guest neesy111

We need a different type of striker.  Our problems scoring wasn't just about Cisse missing chances, most of the time he got fuck all for most of last season.

Worth bearing in mind the comments from Cisse the other day about playing up front. I mean, I didn't expect him to be on the wing again this season but if it's just one place they're competing for then I'm not sure that both he and Bent will be happy. We simply won't have enough games unless they are rotated constantly irrespective of goals.

Yep, agree with this, but at the same time we are royally fucked if anything happens to Cisse during the season.

It's just about possibile that Bent might come and back himself to compete with Cisse... at least here the manager will give him a fair chance. If he wants to play for England though, he's going to want assurances about first team football. In that case he'd be better off going to a team that doesn't have a recognised leading man.

Agree. My preference is to get a hot talent to challenge. Someone who is ok waiting for chance, and breaking a nut to take the opportunity.

We need a different type of striker.  Our problems scoring wasn't just about Cisse missing chances, most of the time he got fuck all for most of last season.

Hopefully this is what Remy will provide, assuming he doesn't go down.

The rape thing hanging over Remy is a right pisser, if we kept Cisse and got him (and possibly a younger player to push Ameobi down the pecking order) then I think I'd be happy enough with our attacking options. We need to focus on creating more, better opportunities with the talent we already own rather than simply chucking money at more strikers.

The rape thing hanging over Remy is a right pisser, if we kept Cisse and got him (and possibly a younger player to push Ameobi down the pecking order) then I think I'd be happy enough with our attacking options. We need to focus on creating more, better opportunities with the talent we already own rather than simply chucking money at more strikers.

Yep, that would be best. The backup/competition for Cisse is important though.

Just not at all sold on this, even if he is a decent player. Remy and 2 wide men capable of playing on the left is our best option. Having Cisse, Gouffran and Remy available for the central spot would be sufficient, all are strikers that can get 10+ goals.

Agreed.

However had bent played in the place of Cisse last season he'd have a lot more goals than our current main striker.