Darren Bent

Fenham Mag

Minimum is Remy, for me.

I'd be pretty pleased if Remy was the only player we brought in.

Easily pleased then. Still one injury away from Jonas or Shola playing in that case.

If we go with two up front as Pardew has suggested then it should leave Shola as fourth choice. Agree we could definitely use greater depth out wide/up front though, but my expectations are fairly low and I think adding Remy would give us (potentially) a very good first XI.

Given how ineffective we've looks since Ba left and how reliant Pardew is on a relatively direct style I think Gomis is the number one priority (even if Remy is a better overall player) so without him I think there's a chance we may still struggle.

Would be just bizarre if we signed Remy and Bent yet still kept playing it long and direct from Krul.

Given how ineffective we've looks since Ba left and how reliant Pardew is on a relatively direct style I think Gomis is the number one priority (even if Remy is a better overall player) so without him I think there's a chance we may still struggle.

Would be just bizarre if we signed Remy and Bent yet still kept playing it long and direct from Krul.

We weren't really doing that much from January onwards tbh. Why would we do it with better players in the side?

I'd disagree, there was a large amount of our play which came from a rather direct style. I lost count of the times we went direct to Cisse and he was unable to bring anyone else into the game.

Likewise the amount of early hit diagonal crosses into the box seemed incredible considering how little success we had from them. If with better players in the side we get it down and play then fantastic; I'm just not holding my breath.

Think it was the players on the pitch as much as anything. These are the players who started the most Premiership games for us last season:

Cisse 35

Jonas 34

Santon 31

Cabaye 25

Krul 24

Taylor 24

Tiote 22

Coloccini 22

Williamson 19

Perch 19

(Ba 19)

Simpson 18

I'd say half of those simply aren't very good footballers and that contributed to the crap football at least as much as the manager

In the event that we did sign Remy and Gomis I would say that there's only really Jonas and Tiote in the whole squad who have a really poor touch, control and eye for a pass, and also have a chance of starting on a regular basis (possibly Williamson as well).

I actually think that if we pulled these 2 deals off (Remy and Gomis)we could have a very good season and play some very good football.

Daily Mirror claiming that Crystal Palace are in for him now.

Jesus, that's off the back of Jim whites transfer half hour tonight on ssns, palace chairman was on talking about transfers and he said bent was a great player who most of the premiership would like to have.  :lol:

From the Birmingham Mail's Villa reporter (very reliable usually) today:

Meanwhile, Villa are baffled at suggestions from Joe Kinnear that they are “still in negotiations” with Newcastle about Darren Bent.

And despite the Magpies’ interest in Bent this summer Villa have not received any offers or entered into discussions with the St James’ Park club about the striker.

Meanwhile, Villa are baffled at suggestions from Joe Kinnear that they are “still in negotiations” with Newcastle about Darren Bent.

And despite the Magpies’ interest in Bent this summer Villa have not received any offers or entered into discussions with the St James’ Park club about the striker.

Joe-a-nory. Tells us stories.

In the interview he said they were in negotiations with Bent's people, I think he said they still had to agree a fee with Villa.

• 2 weeks later...