Paul Dummett: Released (official)

Guest palnese

Guest taps01

Defensively last night he looked quite good but offensively he is comical. Only able to hit the ball either 0 or 100 - exemplified by his lay off to Perez in the box where he absolutely hammered it at him from about 10 yards away instead of just rolling it into his path.

Put a good ball in for Murphy's chance.

Sounds like you never saw the game but are trying to find some vague link between what you heard and Darlow's fuck up against Bristol for some deranged reason.

:lol:

There are agendas and there are mongs with agendas. It's a pretty devastating combo.

sounded like he nearly f***ed up with judging the flight of the ball and heading it back again but I'm sure that's not his fault.

It was fine, Darlow hadn't charged out of his box like an idiot this time so just caught the ball from his header. No issue.

Offers absolutely nothing going forward and doesn't even look a top Championship defender. Should not be taking him up to the Premier League, he has proven time and time again he is s*** in the PL.

Completely disagree. There isn't a better left back in this league than him.

Charlie Taylor at Leeds is considerably better.

Offers absolutely nothing going forward and doesn't even look a top Championship defender. Should not be taking him up to the Premier League, he has proven time and time again he is shit in the PL.

I can't remember him having a bad game in the PL. :lol:

He's had a few this season, mind.

He's just a trendy one to dislike, and so people decide to lambaste him with ridiculous statements.

Not being very good is another reason, I thought he was fairly good against Huddersfield and he normally makes my eyes bleed watching him so he has it in him to put in a good performance.

He's just a trendy one to dislike, and so people decide to lambaste him with ridiculous statements.

Trendy one :lol:

The reason some people "dislike" him is that he can't play football. I'm sure most people on here think he's good when it comes to defending at this level.

Guest alijmitchell

I'd say Taylor at Villa is a decent LB from what I saw in the PL. Also quite like Amavi tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not being very good is another reason, I thought he was fairly good against Huddersfield and he normally makes my eyes bleed watching him so he has it in him to put in a good performance.

He's obviously in Rafa's Xl to defend and he does that job very well. When you look at the LBs that've played for us and been at fault for literally goal after goal, it's refreshing to have someone in there who just doesn't let us down. I can think of very few goals scored against us because of poor defending on his side.

The problem is, next season we'll have to pick up points at home. We have to or we'll struggle. To do that we need as many players good on the ball as possible. That means (among other alterations) Alsoran and Colback as far from the fucking squad as possible, and ideally a LB with a bit about him going forward. The more I think about it, though, the more I reckon LB will be close to the bottom of Rafa's list of priorities. He's played more games than anyone else this season.

I just think the balance of what's wanted by people of a left back is skewed a little too heavily on being good on the ball vs being solid defensively.

Both are important but I think what Dummett's good at is taken a little bit for granted by some. Really nice to have someone solid in the air over there especially.

I'd say Taylor at Villa is a decent LB from what I saw in the PL. Also quite like Amavi tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rather have Taylor from Leeds. Out of contract this summer as well.

I just think the balance of what's wanted by people of a left back is skewed a little too heavily on being good on the ball vs being solid defensively.

Both are important but I think what Dummett's good at is taken a little bit for granted by some. Really nice to have someone solid in the air over there especially.

Yep and I've said it before but his aerial ability basically means he becomes a 3rd centre back when the ball gets knocked in from our right hand side. The type of thing is obviously less noticeable than a LB who occasionally skins a couple of opponents before knocking a cross in. Think it's fairly obvious which one Rafa would rather have, though.

I don't want Dummett to be Messi with the ball at his feet, it's just not completely ridiculous to request that a professional footballer can control a ball and pass it to his team mate. It's not necessary for his position but he puts us under a lot of pressure with his inability to play football and consistently passes possession to the other team (usually through giving them a throw-in).

He's been fairly good defensively for the majority of the season, but is still terrible when a ball is played over the top of him.

He's excellent in the air though, which is unusual for a LB. Said it all season, he's good enough for this level but one I'd like to see replaced next season - although it's not our most urgent position that is needed strengthening.

He'd be good in a back three as the left sided central defender, not being required to get forward and having to get on the ball that much, obviously irrelevent as we won't play that way under Rafa mind.

He's limited, as are a fair few we have. If and when we do go up it'll be interesting to see who Rafa brings in (if Ashley doesn't fuck it up). I suspect Paul will still play a fair bit as Rafa trusts him to carry out his instructions, something we musn't understate. Rafa is about the system as a whole not the players as individuals and Paul is perfect is that respect for Rafa.

If Rafa spots a better player on the ball who offers the same as Paul does without it, i've no doubt Rafa will jettison Paul without a thought, Rafa's a winner after all.

I agree his contribution defensively is taken for granted. Aye, he's abhorrent going forward. He can sometime hit a decent cross but that is it and long-term that can't be acceptable from our LB. Even if he was just an average PL fullback in terms of technique, dribbling, passing etc imo he would be a very good fullback.

Defensively in the PL he's fine. We'll be better at home in the PL as more teams will attack us.

As long as Rafa is here he'll have a place in the squad imo. I suspect he'll be first choice next season in the PL too.

I agree his contribution defensively is taken for granted. Aye, he's abhorrent going forward. He can sometime hit a decent cross but that is it and long-term that can't be acceptable from our LB. Even if he was just an average PL fullback in terms of technique, dribbling, passing etc imo he would be a very good fullback.

Defensively in the PL he's fine. We'll be better at home in the PL as more teams will attack us.

As long as Rafa is here he'll have a place in the squad imo. I suspect he'll be first choice next season in the PL too.

He's not like  :lol: 

He's no world beater sure, but he's nowhere near as bad as the myth which seems to be gaining weight on here.

Defensively he's been one of my favourite players this season, and I used to want him gone from the club every fortnight. He's been solid, reliable, and seems to read the game better as he's matured. Going forward it's been a hope-and-pray scenario where I'm just happy he doesn't get caught out or give away the ball.

Guest firetotheworks

The internet needs a scapegoat, even when we're smashing a division to pieces.

I dinnah, like. Him and Colback are easy to single out when the result influences your opinion for obvious reasons. The reason with Dummett being that he's defensively sound, but atrocious with the ball at his feet. Not Mike Williamson bad, but definitely one that needlessly hoofs it fairly often. He's cut down on it recently tbf though, maybe Rafa's had a word with him about it.