Paul Dummett: Released (official)

Guest palnese

He’s the left sided CB in a 3, not a modern day LB. The game has evolved so fast that 10 years back when he was breaking through it wasn’t so much of an issue. I don’t get the hate in this forum for him.

He was immense against Watford only to be let down by Almiron for their leveller. 

Top defender and deceptively quick. Worth a squad place this season and maybe next before shipping off. Meanwhile he’s a Geordie so show him some respect.

25 minutes ago, Outremont said:

He’s the left sided CB in a 3, not a modern day LB. The game has evolved so fast that 10 years back when he was breaking through it wasn’t so much of an issue. I don’t get the hate in this forum for him.

He was immense against Watford only to be let down by Almiron for their leveller. 

Top defender and deceptively quick. Worth a squad place this season and maybe next before shipping off. Meanwhile he’s a Geordie so show him some respect.

He’s better than Keegan anarl…

15 hours ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Always maintained he fucking loves - and is good at - defending. It's just a proper, modern full back also needs to be able to go forward and he's turboshite in that regard. I feel a bit sorry for him in that sense, because he could be so much better if he was able to improve just one half of his game.

I thought he was a decent defender until I saw how much better Targett looked in the same position, and also what a difference having someone like Trippier can make at full back.

Dummett looks a bit slower than he used to a couple of years back, not sure if injuries and age have took their toll, but right now we have to be grateful he's there as an option.

25 minutes ago, Outremont said:

Yep, ok.

Why would he be gone? He will want to stay as a squad player and will be a good one to have since he will I imagine be very happy to be still playing for his home town club. We won't suddenly have 2 teams of 'purples'

He was massively, massively exposed because of ASM. I don't understand it as ASM was tracking back quite a bit in the first half for Manquillo.

We shouldn't offer him a new deal. Ability alone I would keep him as a squad player but he's never fit for more than 10 games a season and he just takes up a squad place and wages. I'd buy Targett and keep Manquillo as back up and focus on other positions for the rest of the summer. Obviously if we can also bring in a top class LB as well then great. 

1 hour ago, OverThere said:

Why would he be gone? He will want to stay as a squad player and will be a good one to have since he will I imagine be very happy to be still playing for his home town club. We won't suddenly have 2 teams of 'purples'

Contract's up in June and hopefully won't be renewed.

I wouldn't hesitate to renew his contract, assuming he's happy as emergency cover. He covers two positions and he's not a terrible player. Perfectly decent third choice full-back. 

Certainly wouldn't begrudge him turning one down, like. Would imagine he'd be first choice LB for most Championship teams. 

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I wouldn't hesitate to renew his contract, assuming he's happy as emergency cover. He covers two positions and he's not a terrible player. Perfectly decent third choice full-back. 

Certainly wouldn't begrudge him turning one down, like. Would imagine he'd be first choice LB for most Championship teams. 

If he could be fit for 75% of the season then aye. But it's more like 25% and it's a waste of a squad place especially in the summer when we can go and get players who are not always broken. 

might sound harsh, but I fucking hate him (as a footballer, not as a person) and can't wait until he gets peddled :lol: him being our benchmark is a big reason Matt Targett looked like prime Cafu on his debut.

He's never, ever been good enough. people argue he's a good defender, and does the fundamentals well, but he's shit scared of the ball, has zero technique and offers no attacking threat whatsoever. because he's so limited he gets held to the lowest possible standard, the opposite of someone like ASM, basically. not to mention he's a perma crock.

thanks for everything Paul, but down to the Champo you go son. Bruce will probably sign him. which says everything you need to know.

Renewing his contract would be insane, he is hardly ever fit and when fit, well, he’s shite basically. He needs to move on for his own career’s sake and we cannot and never ever should again be limiting ourselves to bang average players like Dummet, as squad players or not. We owe him fuck all. 

2 minutes ago, HUGZ said:

might sound harsh, but I fucking hate him (as a footballer, not as a person) and can't wait until he gets peddled :lol: him being our benchmark is a big reason Matt Targett looked like prime Cafu on his debut.

He's never, ever been good enough. people argue he's a good defender, and does the fundamentals well, but he's shit scared of the ball, has zero technique and offers no attacking threat whatsoever. because he's so limited he gets held to the lowest possible standard, the opposite of someone like ASM, basically. not to mention he's a perma crock.

thanks for everything Paul, but down to the Champo you go son. Bruce will probably sign him. which says everything you need to know.

So might be reading between the lines here but that's a no?

2 minutes ago, HUGZ said:

This exactly, he has always been one of the least comfortable on the ball of any player I can remember watching...  he simply doesn't want the ball and when he does get it he wants rid of it as quickly as he can...  he has stolen a living from football, actually not just a living but, a wonderful living...  more money than most of us will ever earn in our lifetimes.  There a loads of professional players like this though...  

If we need to play with wingbacks I would prefer to see Targett on the left and Manquillo on the right (hopes his injury is minor), the thought of reverting to Krafth or Ritchie is horrifying!  

However, while we are without Trippier we need to rethink how the midfield is shaped.  If the rumour is true that approx 6 weeks is the duration of the injury we need to get through West Ham, Brentford, Chelsea and Crystal Palace in that time...  5 points form those 4 matches would be a decent haul in my opinion.

I think stealing a living is a bit harsh. I don’t think there’s a single fan that will argue he’s a quality footballer. He’s genuinely awful on the ball but positionally in defence he’s generally always been good, it feels like it’s dropped off a bit this season. His hoofing of the ball is appalling but he’s been symptomatic of who we’ve been as a club for 14 years, looking to achieve the bare minimum. However, he always gives everything, loves the club and has almost never put in a really poor defensive performance. Yes, he needs to go but I don’t think he’s stolen a living as a footballer even though he can’t kick a football 

14 minutes ago, HUGZ said:

Could not like this post more, sums up my thoughts exactly