Paul Dummett: Released (official)

Guest palnese

Shelvey and Schar have shown to be more than useful under Howe so them getting a new contract makes sense 

Dummett if he wasn't always injured wouldn't be bad to have around but we know he's guaranteed an injury 

It could as someone suggested just be a tactic of Howe to ensure the squad is united until the end of the season

I like Dummett but him getting a new contract isn't a sign of progression 

9 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Shelvey and Schar have shown to be more than useful under Howe so them getting a new contract makes sense 

Dummett if he wasn't always injured wouldn't be bad to have around but we know he's guaranteed an injury 

It could as someone suggested just be a tactic of Howe to ensure the squad is united until the end of the season

I like Dummett but him getting a new contract isn't a sign of progression 

Don’t think Shelvey makes sense imo, when he has another year left after this one. If he’s still performing ok next Christmas time then fair enough. He’s been here years and has been total shit for most of that time, so has to do a level performance over a much longer period to convince me. 

No chance in hell would I give Dummett a new contract, as not only is he an injury liability, he’s also a pretty average premier league player. As I mentioned in another thread, it’s an Edwards article, so take with a pinch of salt anyway.

5 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

He should be moved on. He'd be okay as emergency cover but he's barely ever fit enough to be even that. Only logical reason I can think of for an extension is the homegrown at club squad registration rules, don't think we have many.

I'm sure we have well over double figures in the current 25 man squad that counts as home grown so don't think we even need him for that

And if we plan on moving a number of them on then may as well let Dummett go and then make sure to sign a homegrown player 

2 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Don’t think Shelvey makes sense imo, when he has another year left after this one. If he’s still performing ok next Christmas time then fair enough. He’s been here years and has been total shit for most of that time, so has to do a level performance over a much longer period to convince me. 

No chance in hell would I give Dummett a new contract, as not only is he an injury liability, he’s also a pretty average premier league player. As I mentioned in another thread, it’s an Edwards article, so take with a pinch of salt anyway.

I agree it's not a priority as it's hardly like loads of other clubs will be in for him, especially at his reported wage 

Giving him a contract could be with a view that in 12-18 months time we sell him and get something back for him

5 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

I agree it's not a priority as it's hardly like loads of other clubs will be in for him, especially at his reported wage 

Giving him a contract could be with a view that in 12-18 months time we sell him and get something back for him

I’d still wait myself as not convinced he will keep this level of performance up.

Edited by et tu brute

I've no problem with it tbh. I've never considered him a terrible player by any stretch and I think he's had plenty of good performances. And I think there's probably something in every single manager he's played under appearing to absolutely love him. 

One reason why we've managed to keep our heads above water since 2017 despite everything is the fact that (but for the odd dip), the squad has had an excellent mentality. Rafa instilled that during his initial revamp of the squad and it's never really gone away; we've never had a repeat of the squads of the likes of 07-09 or 14-16 where next to no one gave a single fuck about NUFC. We had no identity on the pitch after Rafa left but I've never got the impression that the squad has phoned it in; there's been a dressing room 'identity' of good characters who, on the whole, will take responsibility. 

I can absolutely see Dummett as one of the carriers of that mentality and therefore a useful person to have around as we transition from a club going nowhere to a club going places. If he was first choice I'd be very concerned about Howe's judgement but that clearly isn't going to be the case. 

• 2 months later...

From the registered squad currently if we want to strengthen the defence it’ll be Fernandez who goes for a new first choice CB, and either Targett or whichever LB we sign. As long as he’s extreme back up as in only plays when Targett/new LB, Burn, Manquillo and Krafth are all out then I’ll live.