Paul Dummett: Released (official)

Guest palnese

This summer is going to be so toxic on here :lol:

You can't rave about the atmosphere at the club amongst the players and then bitch about the manager keeping a guy he feels has been vital to that on a one year deal.

Never mind the possible European squad implications I already mentioned. 

Utterly ridiculous man.

Edited by KaKa

If they need to fill a home grown quota with someone that will never play anyway, can't they give the spot and wages away to one lucky local fan as part of a lottery or something? :lol:

Edited by Conjo

2 minutes ago, Conjo said:

If they need to fill a home grown quota with someone that will never play anyway, can't they give the spot and wages away to one lucky local fan as part of a lottery or something? :lol:

I don't know how accurate the FM eligibility rules are compared to real life, but from what I recall they need to have trained at the club for 2 or 3 years before they turn 21? And Under 20s are free so no point giving the spot to a youth player? Patchy memory here, someone will hopefully correct me if I'm misremembering. My takewaway is we're going to be seeing Longstaff and Dummett with contracts until Billy and someone else comes good...

I'll never understand it. He's into his thirties, still treats the ball like a bomb and misses at least half the season. 

I'd rather go with the younger option who has more potential to do a Krafth in Lewis. We don't need a squad filler, we have 28 senior players already and now none of their contracts will expire this summer except Targett. We have absolutely no room to bring in improvement, we'll need to wait to see if anyone wants our deadwood, and be left scrambling unless we're prepared to bloat the squad even more (Staveley already said we spend too much on wages) 

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

This summer is going to be so toxic on here :lol:

Just wait until we are half way through the window and haven’t signed anyone for £50m, haven’t handed out any 200k pw contracts and Hendrick/Clark/Hayden still haven’t been sold [emoji38]

3 hours ago, 54 said:

People need to realise were not going to be replacing our entire squad in one season, Dummett is solid enough to be third choice LB and can cover CB if we're absolutely desperate, he's clearly got something about him in the dressing room, and he's also probably on cheap wages, plus it's only a years contract, it's a bit 'meh' but makes perfect sense, hardly worth the fume.

The more I think about it the more I think this is a stupid decision. We’ve got quite a bit of shite to get shot of which he’s on that list, we could have let him go for nothing and we’ve prolonged it. Left-back we could play Targett, Burn or Manquillo there, centre-back we’ve got Burn, Schar, Lascelles and you’d like to think one more this summer. Plus Krafth can play there in a three. The chances of all of those players being out at the same time to give him a game are minuscule, as we’ve seen since the New Year. Just seems a waste of a space when we’re still trying to get shot of players taking up about £100k a week in wages who aren’t even registered.

2 hours ago, TRon said:

Waste of a squad space IMO, but whatever.

It's this - we've already a bloated squad and we've players on high wages that we may struggle to get rid.  This lad is out of contract - wasting a space on someone who'll maybe play a game or two makes no sense.  It's just a very odd decision.

In isolation it makes no sense because he is average and gets injured a lot but I'm going to trust Howe and the clubs judgement on this, they've done enough so far to earn that.

I suspect we'll be able to make a proper judgement at the end of the window as to whether it makes sense.

If for example they want to limit the number of transfers we do by focusing on quality, it makes sense to keep someone that is happy to be 3rd choice and can operate in two positions. 

I think the club want to sign 3-4 real quality players, then a few young potentials. Keeping Dummett around isn't that big of a deal if is the case.

16 minutes ago, elbee909 said:

Back-up player signs contract extension, probably as back-up player. Yeah, mad stuff. :lol:

It's his shocking injury record. Backup players are supposed to be available when needed.

2 minutes ago, ohmelads said:

It's his shocking injury record. Backup players are supposed to be available when needed.

Hopefully that's something they'll have taken into account, and ideally sorted now - otherwise why bother.

I don´t understand this at all. He is so far behind any of the defenders currently at NUFC, including Clarke imo.

Why would you not replace him with someone who merits a place in the squad and can be decent back up???

I actually quite like him :lol: And I like the thought of a local lad in the squad going forward. He's useful enough as a backup player for another year.

Howe really is moulding the squad around personality sometimes even at the cost of ability, he wants to have that balance. Will be interesting to see how far he can take us with this philosophy. 

27 minutes ago, Nine said:

Howe really is moulding the squad around personality sometimes even at the cost of ability, he wants to have that balance. Will be interesting to see how far he can take us with this philosophy. 

Successful teams often have them. Man United kept the likes of (Phil) Neville, O'Shea and Fletcher about for years. Even Liverpool now with the likes of Milner and Henderson. They're not the most talented, but they play their part.