Paul Dummett: Released (official)

Guest palnese

Lots of harshness on here towards Dummett. No he's not ideal and should be a back up centre half BUT he gets little to no support defensivly and rarely has an option wide or in front of him to pass to, hence the opposition allow us to funnel the ball to him. rarely at fault for goals the way Janmaat has been and doesn't seem to give wide players free reign.

Agree completely. Most of the season Gini has been "playing on the left" but actually roams to such an extent that he is never actually there. Very frequently Dummett gets the ball played to him on the halfway line and there is no teammate in front of him. Contrast that to Janmaat who almost always has Sissoko to give it to and then overlap. Rightly Dummett decides that he can't take on two or three opposition players so goes back inside to Colo/a DM.

Equally though, while Janmaat has clearly been caught out of position a number of times this season, for a large number of games he was our most attacking outlet. Even though he has been in at RB he has been effectively playing as a right-winger and it is nigh on impossible to get back quickly enough every time we lose the ball. Often it was Anita who would then drop in to cover when Janmaat was further up the field.

I think he is actually pretty quick once he gets going. His acceleration off the mark isn't great, but when he's been up against really quick players who've just tried to knock it past and do him on the outside he's very rarely let them past. The fact that he's a good defender means he usually gets a good slide tackle in too. Can think of a few who've tried to outpace him (Sterling, Navas, Martial) and had little success.

I've always defended PD on here cos I think he just proper loves defending. He's obviously got nae proper ability with the ball, but he plays to his strengths and always shows for a pass and never hides.

I'd like us to sign a more balanced left back and move him to the centre. He's perfectly adequate filling in at left back but long term he's not the answer there.

I want him to do well like, whether it be here in a reserve role or somewhere else. I don't think he should be anywhere near our first XI like, especially at LB, but he seems a nice lad and has always stuck in. That "Fuck off Dummett" bed-sheet was up there with the worst things our fans have done.

If we stay up this season, and referencing this 3 transfer window plan they stated. I think the focus needs to be on improving the LB position and finding that long term replacement for Colo, I don't think Dummett is the answer to either.

If we stay up this season, and referencing this 3 transfer window plan they stated. I think the focus needs to be on improving the LB position and finding that long term replacement for Colo, I don't think Dummett is the answer to either.

Pretty much my view.

He is really growing on me now, never really lets his man get a clean cross/shot in and gives an option when attacking a lot more now. His crossing is pretty awful, but he did cut a lovely ball back to Gini on Saturday. All his faults can be improved upon in training, so I don't see playing him until the summer as a big issue at all.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Makes such a difference having a proper defender there - this is the first time Rafa has been able to play an actual left back, he'll be hoping that hamstring holds up...

He was still shit, was completely skinned at one point, fortunate not to lead to a goal. Whatever division we play in next year an upgrade for LB is sorely needed.

Makes such a difference having a proper defender there - this is the first time Rafa has been able to play an actual left back, he'll be hoping that hamstring holds up...

He was still shit, was completely skinned at one point, fortunate not to lead to a goal. Whatever division we play in next year an upgrade for LB is sorely needed.

Don't think he was shit at all tbh - Colback at LB against the mackems was shit, Anita playing there at Southampton was shit and who can forget Aarons against Chelsea - Dummett is just solid but unspectacular.

He was still s***, was completely skinned at one point, fortunate not to lead to a goal. Whatever division we play in next year an upgrade for LB is sorely needed.

Don't think he was s*** at all tbh - Colback at LB against the mackems was s***, Anita playing there at Southampton was s*** and who can forget Aarons against Chelsea - Dummett is just solid but unspectacular.

Solid is stretching it a bit, the guy is just plain average, he's the Mike Williamson of left backs, serviceable on occasion but will never take you anywhere, we let a far better player go, with a much higher ceiling just over a year ago for practically nothing. I agree though he is a lot better than the non left backs that he's had to put back there recently.