Paul Dummett

Guest palnese

Hes not a scapegoat because there's nothing that much to scapegoat when you're on an 11 game unbeaten run.

Hes chronically limited with the ball while being good defensively in this league, will be found out again in the prem though much like he was last season, for the most part I think people just point this out, and now its trendy to be outraged if anyone criticizes him.

Posted my thoughts during the Brighton match.

Getting proper fed up of Dummett like. He tries hard and he's a decent defender but he's so inept on the ball it really hurts us.

It'll damage us next season. He's playing because Haidara's not very good and Rafa obviously doesn't think Lazaar is suited. The fact he spent a fair bit on a Serie A level left-back though suggests to me that he's 'making do' with Dummett rather than rating him in particular.

He's just a trendy one to dislike, and so people decide to lambaste him with ridiculous statements.

The internet needs a scapegoat, even when we're smashing a division to pieces.

I dinnah, like. Him and Colback are easy to single out when the result influences your opinion for obvious reasons. The reason with Dummett being that he's defensively sound, but atrocious with the ball at his feet. Not Mike Williamson bad, but definitely one that needlessly hoofs it fairly often. He's cut down on it recently tbf though, maybe Rafa's had a word with him about it.

Whatever he intentionally does on the pitch will be pretty much exactly what Rafa's told him to do. It he hoofs it it's because that's what Rafa's told him to do in that situation. He's not a very good passer so it doesn't make sense him trying to play it along the floor forward to the midfield or across to the other defenders. Doing that is obviously needlessly dangerous.

Guest firetotheworks

He's just a trendy one to dislike, and so people decide to lambaste him with ridiculous statements.

The internet needs a scapegoat, even when we're smashing a division to pieces.

I dinnah, like. Him and Colback are easy to single out when the result influences your opinion for obvious reasons. The reason with Dummett being that he's defensively sound, but atrocious with the ball at his feet. Not Mike Williamson bad, but definitely one that needlessly hoofs it fairly often. He's cut down on it recently tbf though, maybe Rafa's had a word with him about it.

Whatever he intentionally does on the pitch will be pretty much exactly what Rafa's told him to do. It he hoofs it it's because that's what Rafa's told him to do in that situation. He's not a very good passer so it doesn't make sense him trying to play it along the floor forward to the midfield or across to the other defenders. Doing that is obviously needlessly dangerous.

Both guesses are as good as the other, particularly as he seems to have cut down on doing it lately.

will be found out again in the prem though much like he was last season

Pretty sure I asked you to give me an example of a bad game he had last season and you couldn't, mind. He's a good defender in both leagues. Problem is when we're in the Prem we'll need a bit more about us going forward at home so an upgrade would be welcomed.

Guest firetotheworks

will be found out again in the prem though much like he was last season

Pretty sure I asked you to give me an example of a bad game he had last season and you couldn't, mind. He's a good defender in both leagues. Problem is when we're in the Prem we'll need a bit more about us going forward at home so an upgrade would be welcomed.

Eh? He had plenty of poor games in the PL, almost entirely at left back. Just look through this thread for post match reaction to his PL performances and you'll see that many, me included thought that he was poor in plenty of matches, along with the rest of them. If you mean that he didn't often stand out as being the absolute worst player on a field that regularly included Gouffran, Wijnaldum, Colback, Taylor, Coloccini, and Mitrovic then you're right, he didn't, but that's not exactly complimentary.

Edit: Doi! Last season. Fair enough, he didn't really. He's miles better at centre back.

He's a scar from Pardew. He's seriously afraid of having the ball at his feet. He looks at it with fear. It takes a decent amount of time for him to get his feet right before he passes it to someone very close to him.

There are two telling facts: 1. Under Pardew he was given a 6-year contract. 2. Pardew wanted to sign him for Palace.

How we're still dealing with him, partly due to an inexplicable glorification because he appeared form the academy, is horrendous and a testament to how poorly run the club has been for far too long.

I agree with the general crux of your point - but the really horrific thing is that he's very far from the worst player in the current squad, and actually one of the most consistent players for a Championship club. That's the true scale of our mismanagement in recent years.

Guest ElCid

I still find it amazing that some on here still seem to rate him, average at best defending but even more importantly absolutely total wank with his forward play and his passing skills are Sunday league at best. He is severely lacking in the one aspect which is key in the modern game and is one of the reasons why the ball is punted forward as he hasn't got the skill set to do anything else.