Paul Dummett

Guest palnese

Not a LB, as has been said.

Particularly problematic for us when he plays there as Wijnaldum on the left means we really need a LB who can provide some real threat going forward. We basically have no prospect at all of attacking down the left as this guy is such a donkey. Getting a new LB is hugely important if we're gonna persist with Wij on the left.

As a CB he has some promise, should be playing there or nowhere though.

I think he's just an average/poor footballer. A couple of half decent CB performances and all of a sudden people are saying he's never a LB even though he's spent his career there.

I agree, I don't think he's a CB either. Not strong enough to do that job over 90 mins, he's just be another one of a long list of smallish CBs who would end up getting overpowered by the Lukakus and Pelles in the premier.

I don't think I've seen a significant lack of strength, mind. He's very decent at marking, tackling and heading so there's no reason he won't become a good option for CB.

He's not weak, he's just not big enough. We need someone like Shawcross, a big dominating CB, we've already got some who will win a few headers and lose a few on set pieces.

Very poor yesterday, especially his distribution. Numerous simple giveaways.

We gave the ball away so often that I hope one of our coaches goes back through the game and analyzes how and why it kept happening. Was it the formation, was it players hiding, was it players taking the wrong option, was it poor delivery, etc.

Dummett isn't even good at defending when out wide.  His positional sense is shite, he's fairly useless at getting forward and he's as slow as Shola.  He can do a job in the middle but he's massively out of his depth on the left.

We have better options on the left, even if they aren't that good and have bad games.

I know squad numbers are pretty academic these days but to think we have Dummett, Colback & Gouffran with shirt numbers 1-11. :lol:

Gouffran I guess is fair enough as he was a new signing and given it, but the other two have actively been deemed good enough to be upgraded from a normal number to 3 & 4. :okay:

I'm confused by all the comments saying he got a roasting by Ritchie. He's quite a reactive defender so he very rarely gets beaten and gives away a lot of corners by blocking crosses.

He's total crap going forward but so are the other options in that position. Mbabu needs to be a right back.

Dummett isn't even good at defending when out wide.  His positional sense is s****, he's fairly useless at getting forward and he's as slow as Shola.  He can do a job in the middle but he's massively out of his depth on the left.

We have better options on the left, even if they aren't that good and have bad games.

This really.

I hate right-footers on the left and vice versa, but Mbabu has looked light years ahead of Dummett. Haidara, whilst having his own flaws, is also a much better option.

The way we play is with Janmaat bombing forward to offer genuine width and one of the CMs dropping in to cover for him. Dummett cannot do the same on the other side but if we had someone who could, we'd be a much better team.