Thoughts on this summer's transfer window

Jack Flash
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I know everyone's different but sometimes wonder what it would take for some folk to reach "raging" stage.

In this case, something fairly specific for me. It was not inconceivable we'd sell our best players and bring in some cheap crap. It has been often said this would fit the Ashley model.

We haven't done that.

We have Krul, Debuchy, Yanga Mbiwa, Santon and Collocinni. A very pleasing back 5.

We have Haten Ben Arfa, Sissoko, Cabaye and Anita. A perfectly palatable central 5.

We have Gouffran, Cisse and Remy. A not unexciting front 3.

We have a good bench, but beyond that, not a lot of quality.

We clearly lack an effective senior attacking left winger and a striker. Pardew indicated he wanted at least one or both and he got neither. That is deeply disappointing, deeply frustrating, and we're all pretty angry about it. Not least because all it would have taken to elevate our optimism for this season considerably would have been that one extra attacker.

Raging, no (that would have come if we'd sold anyone of note). But as it is, it's an opportunity well and truly missed.

Good post

I know everyone's different but sometimes wonder what it would take for some folk to reach "raging" stage.

In this case, something fairly specific for me. It was not inconceivable we'd sell our best players and bring in some cheap crap. It has been often said this would fit the Ashley model.

We haven't done that.

We have Krul, Debuchy, Yanga Mbiwa, Santon and Collocinni. A very pleasing back 5.

We have Haten Ben Arfa, Sissoko, Cabaye and Anita. A perfectly palatable central 5.

We have Gouffran, Cisse and Remy. A not unexciting front 3.

We have a good bench, but beyond that, not a lot of quality.

We clearly lack an effective senior attacking left winger and a striker. Pardew indicated he wanted at least one or both and he got neither. That is deeply disappointing, deeply frustrating, and we're all pretty angry about it. Not least because all it would have taken to elevate our optimism for this season considerably would have been that one extra attacker.

Raging, no (that would have come if we'd sold anyone of note). But as it is, it's an opportunity well and truly missed.

Good post

Cheers, think that Central five is a four though. Doh!

What a difference bringing in just Thauvin or someone similar would have made man. 'kin'ell. :banghead:

I'm struggling to describe how I feel really - there's no fixed emotion. I'm a mix of being angry, deflated, jealous, pessimistic and mutinous (boycoutt!)... but then, running parallel to all of those emotions, I'm more apathetic than I've ever been.

I actually think we've got one of the most talented squads I've known in my time supporting the club. Considering I entered NUFCdom towards the tail-end of the Dalglish era, there's only been a brief spell under Bobby where we had a squad that was unquestionably talented... from the goalie on the bench to the starting striker.

Man-to-man, in terms of raw talent, this squad isn't a million miles behind imo. The problems are: it's light in a couple of vital areas, the league is of a better standard than it was in 2002, and it's shackled by a poor manager. The playing staff is generally of a high standard.

I would have been extremely pleased with two strikers and a winger. We got 33% of that and cleared-out some deadwood, so I'm not entirely sure if I should be 'raging' at the results of this transfer window itself. Not that I'm 'happy'; it's still fairly poor, just not horrific.

The negative emotions aren't born from the state of the squad, they're born from the fact that this transfer window has provided confirmation that there is zero footballing ambition from the people who matter most. Literally zero. Ashley is keeping hold of the club on the pretence that it maintains a Premier League income and provides opportunities for free advertising for Sports Direct. That's all he is bothered about and until that changes (ie, he goes), any hopes or ambitions we have as supporters are utterly shattered. There is no chance of the 5th-place 'fluke' happening again because that came from momentum, of which we have none.

So, as for the actual results of players in/out - not great, not horrendous, just fairly pants. We've had worse windows imo, and there's a very minor improvement to what was already a decent squad.

As for the implications of the transfer window - terrible. Woeful. Just about enough to kill off any hope whatsoever. We're just going to have to cling onto the odd special occasion as we stroll along at a pedestrian pace, avoiding relegation at best, season after season until he is gone.

I'm struggling to describe how I feel really - there's no fixed emotion. I'm a mix of being angry, deflated, jealous, pessimistic and mutinous (boycoutt!)... but then, running parallel to all of those emotions, I'm more apathetic than I've ever been.

I actually think we've got one of the most talented squads I've known in my time supporting the club. Considering I entered NUFCdom towards the tail-end of the Dalglish era, there's only been a brief spell under Bobby where we had a squad that was unquestionably talented... from the goalie on the bench to the starting striker.

Man-to-man, in terms of raw talent, this squad isn't a million miles behind imo. The problems are: it's light in a couple of vital areas, the league is of a better standard than it was in 2002, and it's shackled by a poor manager. The playing staff is generally of a high standard.

I would have been extremely pleased with two strikers and a winger. We got 33% of that and cleared-out some deadwood, so I'm not entirely sure if I should be 'raging' at the results of this transfer window itself. Not that I'm 'happy'; it's still fairly poor, just not horrific.

The negative emotions aren't born from the state of the squad, they're born from the fact that this transfer window has provided confirmation that there is zero footballing ambition from the people who matter most. Literally zero. Ashley is keeping hold of the club on the pretence that it maintains a Premier League income and provides opportunities for free advertising for Sports Direct. That's all he is bothered about and until that changes (ie, he goes), any hopes or ambitions we have as supporters are utterly shattered. There is no chance of the 5th-place 'fluke' happening again because that came from momentum, of which we have none.

So, as for the actual results of players in/out - not great, not horrendous, just fairly pants. We've had worse windows imo, and there's a very minor improvement to what was already a decent squad.

As for the implications of the transfer window - terrible. Woeful. Just about enough to kill off any hope whatsoever. We're just going to have to cling onto the odd special occasion as we stroll along at a pedestrian pace, avoiding relegation at best, season after season until he is gone.

Superb post. I'm not sure the league has actually got stronger, but other than that I can't really disagree with anything.

:clap:

Excellent  :clap2:

The squad was strengthened in the January window, if we are going to be fair when we compare to other clubs like Everton we have to acknowledge that. Mbiwa and Sissoko are two very important signings IMO, Haidara and Gouffran more squad back up than first team material for me. The problem is that we have failed to finish the job by adding at least one foward or winger this summer that would have given us a relatively balanced squad. We'll only see how well we've done in this regard when we face other teams I suppose. What's beyond doubt though is that we will not go the extra mile to secure a better squad. If it fits within Ashley's very tight budget fine, otherwise no deal.

JFK last month "We're fighting hard. There's two or three of us who all seem to be wrapped around the same players and as I said to Mike [Ashley] this is a serious battle that we need to win."

Pardew last month "“I’m pushing Joe to get a transfer in. We need a boost now.

Suddenly today "It's fine, we don't need any players, we bought who we needed in January, shut up."

Guest tollemache

I refuse to draw any strong conclusions from a quiet transfer window, same as I didn't last summer, confident as I was that we'd make amends in January. I'd rather every other transfer window have a Wengerian hush about it than go back to a Shepherd-era pattern so this I can put up with. Unlike last summer though, a lack of transfer activity this year does nothing to mitigate the sterility of our performances.

If there's no sign of a lift by the next window, I'll start wondering begrudgingly about a change of manager and if Pardew then remains for the second half of the season I'd be openly miffed. The only respect I can think of in which he hasn't had a very decent crack of the whip is that we could do with Cabaye and Ben Arfa getting a run together. So he can suddenly turn into Carlo Ancelotti, realise he must build around his two stars rather than exposing and overworking one and putting the other out on the wing when he should be the focus of every attack,and do this, at which point I will achieve climax:

DL: Santon

DC: Yanga

DC: Colo

DR: Debuchy

'Pirlo': Cabaye

'Seedorf': Sissoko

'Gattuso': Tiote

'Kaka': Ben Arfa

'Shevchenko': Remy

'Inzaghi': Cisse

Nice diamond. Solid as a rock, Sissoko and Tiote working their bollocks off so Cabaye can run the game, Santon and Debuchy given carte blanche to bomb on. Clearly the way our squad means we should play, what with having depth in the middle, two gifted central playmakers and no real wingers and all that

Liking the way this place works on the iPad now btw

If there's no sign of a lift by the next window, I'll start wondering begrudgingly about a change of manager and if Pardew then remains for the second half of the season I'd be openly miffed.

que?  I credit you for being a much more forgiving man than the rest of us, who have wanted a change of manager for a long while now.

The Club needs ownership that matches the Fans ambition. The fans of Newcastle dont expect titles or cups or any of that stuff- we just dont do trophies.

But they do expect us to go into every game with a hope and a chance of winning or competing. 

To do that requires more investment than the current ownership is willing to give. it requires ownership that aknowledges the point of existence of the club in the first place.

There is a much bigger well of cash available from fans to an ambitious regime- got no proof of this but do believe, and im certain myself, people would be willing to spend more to see better.

The club is bumping along the bottom under this regime, and an owner that has no concern for the actual reason the club exists.

Regime change is the only solution.

January will decide where we're heading.

To France, to buy 'quality international' players soon to be out of contract to appease fan murmurings.

Repeat ad infinitum.

As obvious as it is, i would say there's not much players left in France tbh.

They will be either the truly international class ones who we won't get or they will be average and not really take us forward.

To France, to buy 'quality international' players soon to be out of contract to appease fan murmurings.

Repeat ad infinitum.

They will be either the truly international class ones who we won't get or they will be average and not really take us forward.

I was being a bit facetious but no doubt there'll be some daft cunt knocking about over there who fancies a pay rise to move here to get supporters going again.

I dare say Mr. Gomis will fancy it.

In January I saw us sign five players in the space of a week, so they can't tell me that it was too difficult for us to sign anyone this summer. We stayed up and therefore the board has no reason to spend money, that's what's happened. If there's a significant threat of relegation in January, I'm sure we'll spend like we did this year. Other than that, I can't see a great deal happening. We might get Gomis, completing a narrative that mirrors the Debuchy saga.

Repeat ad infinitum.

I was being a bit facetious but no doubt there'll be some daft c*** knocking about over there who fancies a pay rise to move here to get supporters going again.

I dare say Mr. Gomis will fancy it.

I know you was, just felt like making the point really should have made that more clear.

Excellent post, it's the frustration of it all that is hurting the most. However this mantra is unsustainable, we've already seen unrest in the squad with Cabaye, who can blame him? We DO have a talented squad, wasted on a talentless manager but without investment and intent of improvement in the managerial postition we won't keep this talented squad together and never get the best from them.

Short term all is not lost, we have the players and the ability for a decent campaign, but with Pardew in charge? No! With a new manager but the same lack of investment? No! This flimsy bubble will burst and sooner rather than later.

:clap:

Excellent  :clap2:

agree