NUFC transfer rumours in the press

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I don't think we can criticise the outlay of players too much (providing no more are leaving to fund for them), but HTT is absolutely right about the type of players we have brought in, players with potential but completely unproven at this level, and even more so about the manager. You can also question if how the money has been spent was the best possible use, with the defence once again severely neglected. It's a step in the right direction compared to recent years, but it's also a missed opportunity in a way as you sense more could and should have been done. This time though, it's more the decision making letting us down than the (lack of) funding. If things stay as they are, I expect us to be solid midtable at best, which is decent considering where we're coming from but disappointing considering where we should have been.

I don't think we can criticise the outlay of players too much (providing no more are leaving to fund for them), but HTT is absolutely right about the type of players we have brought in, players with potential but completely unproven at this level, and even more so about the manager. You can also question if how the money has been spent was the best possible use, with the defence once again severely neglected. It's a step in the right direction compared to recent years, but it's also a missed opportunity in a way as you sense more could and should have been done. This time though, it's more the decision making letting us down than the (lack of) funding. If things stay as they are, I expect us to be solid midtable at best, which is decent considering where we're coming from but disappointing considering where we should have been.

I think mcclaren has made the clubs position clear in so much that he expects to have a quality squad in three windows time. Hes also said he doesn't expect top 8 this year. Trying to see it from his/their point of view, they probably want a safe season if you like and bring more quality in next year with the new sky money.

Made a statement? Had he appointed an exciting manager, sacked off the dead wood and spent 100m that would be a statement. The players we have bought are not established players, they are basically potential and risky deals. McClaren is a steady eddy, an average coach who won't take this club to any great heights.

And we all know the only reason for all of this is because of AO.com.

Bit harsh with this post tbf.

I think we'll probably finish 10th or 11th this season. The quality of the squad has improved a fair bit but if we're honest, this 50m is only going to get us to an acceptable standard (excluding defence) rather than really pushing on and challenging the top 8, such was the overall decline.

But still, there's a lot more to be pleased about than not, so there's a welcome change.

There's been far too much damage done in the Pardew era, he alienated the genuine quality we had and stuck with Cloggers. We're now in a position of having a lot of deadwood and it was never going to be fixed overnight. I do think we missed an opportunity to get in a real decent head coach but McClaren is a lot of rungs up the ladder from Pardew and I'll give him a chance. I think we've bought riskily again and it could very well backfire but I'm more concerned at our inability to shift players like Gouffran and Riviere. If we can't trim the fat Ashley won't want to pay wages for decent replacements.

Guest Outlaw Pete

Quite a few on here thrive on negativity. We could win the league and some would still moan.

I doubt that very much, that would only happen if we won it for 3 or 4 seasons in a row, i  i doubt that will happen any time soon like.

Guest Howaythetoon

Made a statement? Had he appointed an exciting manager, sacked off the dead wood and spent 100m that would be a statement. The players we have bought are not established players, they are basically potential and risky deals. McClaren is a steady eddy, an average coach who won't take this club to any great heights.

Bull s***, he is a coward who is trying to deflect massive criticism of him and his regime at NUFC. The money spent is too little too late. We are not fasttracking ourselves up the league with this spending, if anything we are standing still.

My own opinion is that we aren't even doing that, because as a squad we are nowhere near equipped enough. The players may all have potential, but I guarantee even in the age of the internet 90% of our fans no nowt about our signings.

We have a manager or coach who was sacked by a Championship side and who has failed badly in 4 of his 6 jobs. Yes he did great at Boro and and Twente, but in general he's the wally with the brolly and this is from someone who rates him and likes him and hopes he succeeds.

50m spent and McClaren isn't progress, its simply a side step. Progress would be someone like Vieira or Tuchel and 100m with proven players signed.

Don't be fooled man. We should be thankful to the Ashley Out guys because without them it would be either Pardew and Carver or Carver.

Bull s***, he is a coward who is trying to deflect massive criticism of him and his regime at NUFC. The money spent is too little too late. We are not fasttracking ourselves up the league with this spending, if anything we are standing still.

My own opinion is that we aren't even doing that, because as a squad we are nowhere near equipped enough. The players may all have potential, but I guarantee even in the age of the internet 90% of our fans no nowt about our signings.

We have a manager or coach who was sacked by a Championship side and who has failed badly in 4 of his 6 jobs. Yes he did great at Boro and and Twente, but in general he's the wally with the brolly and this is from someone who rates him and likes him and hopes he succeeds.

50m spent and McClaren isn't progress, its simply a side step. Progress would be someone like Vieira or Tuchel and 100m with proven players signed.

Don't be fooled man. We should be thankful to the Ashley Out guys because without them it would be either Pardew and Carver or Carver.

When did Vieira become an 'exciting' manager?

Guest palnese

"I guarantee even in the age of the internet 90% of our fans no nowt about our signings."

Absolute tripe. Most will have heard of or seen all of them, bar Mbemba.

What players who are proven at this level should we have signed instead?

As far as being able to get rid of dead wood, most of them are out of contract next year.

Austin perhaps.... and  :undecided: 

I'm not sure any club is focusing on premier league players.

Anecdotal evidence it may be, but when I had a season ticket I was constantly surprised by how little notice the people sat around me took in what went on outside of a Saturday afternoon at SJP. Many a time people didn't even know why certain players weren't present (they'd been injured all week, or were suspended, or were about to leave etc). Shitloads of our fans seem to get their information purely from the Chronicle or a red top daily newspaper. Sorry but they'll know fuck all about players from Holland, Belgium or France and don't pretend to.

I spend far too much time on here and watch a reasonably high amount of football on TV and I don't know anything about the players we've signed. The vast majority of matchgoing fans are far simpler than the world football experts you seem to think they are.

Guest palnese

I'm hip as owt and I've seen nowt of them all bar Wijnaldum in the World Cup where he flew under the radar.

You'd heard of Mitrovic and Thauvin?

I've watched Anderlecht, PSV and Marseille several times in the last 12 months when I've had money on them and I couldn't have picked any of the players out of a line up. The idea that 90% of the supporters in SJP on an average matchday could do so is absolutely laughable. Frankly I'd be amazed if 5% could.