NUFC transfer rumours in the press

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Shearer was my top choice but Owen was a close second, even tho I hate him now more than any other player that has worn the black and white shirt

On the question of real excitement, Ben Arfa was my last one. Remy was underwhelming after a pitiful transfer window and tbh I didn't think he'd make much of an impact given how badly the team had been playing and him being the only acquisition.

I don't know - I'd have to say Moussa Sissoko & Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, most recently...funny enough. I was absolutely over the moon when we signed both given the links in the past.  I genuinely didn't think we'd sign either, esp MYM.  I tend to take time out to watch players we are linked with so I had spent a lot of time on Remy, Debuchy, MYM, and Sissoko.

Prior to that - Cisse, as I genuinely believed he and Ba being Senegal internationals and wrongfully thinking they'd be mates, that we'd have a brilliantly potent strike force that would help us get CL.

Owen, Luque and Kluivert for me.

I remember watching a brilliant video of Luque with a System of a Down soundtrack when he signed and I thought - wow we have signed a superstar. Never trusted youtube since!

I think that video has since been taken down... The irony... :lol:

I remember watching a brilliant video of Luque with a System of a Down soundtrack when he signed and I thought - wow we have signed a superstar. Never trusted youtube since!

Lost in hollywood. Watched it around 100 times.

No sarcasm intended.

Ben Arfa was an exciting transfer because it dragged on so long and there was such a lot of drama and ups and downs before it happened.

But I remember being very excited when Andy Cole signed. I saw him play for Bristol City against us, and our defenders just couldn't handle him. I thought then he'd be a great player to get and when it happened a few months later, I felt that it was the last piece of the promotion jigsaw. I'm pretty sure his performance in that game convinced Keegan to try and get him.

That was a great time to be a supporter of this club. Having come so close to Division three the previous season, the momentum had completely swung.

That story originated from Caught Offside.... i'd be shocked if there's anything to it.

Mind you i wouldn't expect RMC to repeat a story from Caught Offside to begin with so who knows. :dontknow:

I don't know Caught Offside but I can tell you RMC is s****.

There is no doubt that the signing of Alan Shearer was THE top signing NUFC have ever made in the modern era - he was the top CF in the UK, probably in Europe at the time and had the choice to sign for one of the biggest clubs in the world but chose to come home. He was 25 at the time of his signing and nothing before or since has topped this or even come close.

Owen was close because of his reputation and the club he was playing for, but there was always a doubt in my mind about his total commitment and his fitness. The most exciting signing of a striker before Shearer had to be Macdonald but he was not an international at the time and only 21...he turned out to be sensational and the most exciting striker I have seen in the B&W, if not the complete player that Shearer almost was.

Mirandinha was exciting simply because he was the first Brazilian to play in England and had scored against the national side 3 months earlier but he was a let down in many ways.

Cole proved to be a much better striker than I suspect many believed he would when we signed him.

None of the current side hold a candle to the excitement created by the signings above....and nobody we sign under this regime will do so either.

Lost in hollywood. Watched it around 100 times.

No sarcasm intended.

I think I watched it more after he had gone... It was a great video and the music was a nice change from the usual Charva rubbish you find these days... I always subconsciously changed the line in the song to "You should never of come to Newcastle" as it drew to a close... It was probably taken down due to the trade descriptions act... :lol:

There is no doubt that the signing of Alan Shearer was THE top signing NUFC have ever made in the modern era - he was the top CF in the UK, probably in Europe at the time and had the choice to sign for one of the biggest clubs in the world but chose to come home. He was 25 at the time of his signing and nothing before or since has topped this or even come close.

Owen was close because of his reputation and the club he was playing for, but there was always a doubt in my mind about his total commitment and his fitness. The most exciting signing of a striker before Shearer had to be Macdonald but he was not an international at the time and only 21...he turned out to be sensational and the most exciting striker I have seen in the B&W, if not the complete player that Shearer almost was.

Mirandinha was exciting simply because he was the first Brazilian to play in England and had scored against the national side 3 months earlier but he was a let down in many ways.

Cole proved to be a much better striker than I suspect many believed he would when we signed him.

None of the current side hold a candle to the excitement created by the signings above....and nobody we sign under this regime will do so either.

Think Cisse was about on a par with Martins, but tbh, I was more excited at signing a £10m comedy haired centre back than Owen for a start. Ben Arfa felt like an unbelievable coup at the time.

I suspect Debuchy/Mbiwa/Sissoko would have felt a lot better as well if circumstances were different (at least on a par with the arrival of Cabaye).

Interesting collection of names there, because it's not always the big name signings that work out best.

Owen's signing was the height of insanity. It still has me shaking my head. £17m for a player who only a few days before had made it clear that he only wanted to come here on loan.

Even at that time, I thought it was twice as much as the player was really worth.