Aston Villa 1 - 2 Newcastle United - 14/09/13 - post-match reaction from page 33

Beren

Guest bimpy474

Excellent performance.

I think some referees would have disallowed there goal and whilst it's something I disagree with I think there should be more consistency. Also Hatem - who was back to his best - should have had a penalty.

Defo penalty, clear as day push.

Great result.

Shame about the Krul error otherwise another clean sheet for the lads at the back. The Agbonlahor miss was a howler, but that was the other chance we gave up all game.

With Remy in the team, its much harder for teams to send out a midfielder to double up on Benny. And look what happens then.

A real confidence booster that..the team would be surprisingly impressed that they actually could still put out a performance like that..Fulham was a confidence booster to help us let out all the tension..

Today, the players know, they can push on from here to achieve more than they had envisioned before this..

Great performance barring the Krul clanger..

Great result... professional performance.

That said, still the same old problems:

- not picking up players on set pieces

- backing off players and giving them room to shoot

- not watching opposition players runs when they are attacking

- Few players are still needlessly wreckless

- Cisse woefully lacking confidence.

The latter will come as I think the team that played today has shown it can create chances.

Positives:

- Really fantastic away win that will give a team that is still gelling a ton of confidence. (Still Gelling btw should be a fixed statement for the Pardew era)

- Ben Arfa is on fire

- Mapou and Colo are the tits

- Santon looking dangerous again and a better performance from Debuchy although he is still wreckless and loses his man way too much.

- Anita starting ahead of Tiote. I understood the sub as we needed a bit more height and muscle to combat Villas subs. Anita has to start in games where we can afford to sacrifice that height in the middle. He is really growing into the team and does all the little things right.

- Cabs put in a great shift and we look so much better for having him

- Sissoko gives us great drive, but still makes some silly mistakes - Marking being one of them

- Remy closer to fitness

- Gouffran showing exactly where he is best.. coming on as a sub in the second half.. could see arguments about starting him with his performance though. Really classy in possession and holding up the ball. Very impressed again.

Praise for Pardew man. Howeh.

Well done, you did what all of us would have done over a year ago.

Agreed. Team selection was spot on today, and pleased it got us the 3 points.

Also wanted to add, how great were we at closing down the play in the final few minutes?

First time I've watched us defend a 1 goal lead and think "We're gonna be alright here".

No nervy moments  :smitten:

Guest firetotheworks

FWIW I've decided to put Solano to RB on my favourite XI below and put HBA at right wing. I fucking love him, he's an absolute pleasure to watch.

Excellent performance.

I think some referees would have disallowed there goal and whilst it's something I disagree with I think there should be more consistency. Also Hatem - who was back to his best - should have had a penalty.

Defo penalty, clear as day push.

aye two handed push at that, how that wasn't given I don't know.

Ben Arfa of course stole the show and reminded me why don't get mad when he loses it because he's capable of anything.

Rory Smith ‏@RorySmithTimes 3m

Crisis club Newcastle level on points with Manchester City, who are 4th. Early season surprise package Aston Villa are 16th.

TBF, they've had a nightmare set of fixtures to open the season.

Guest Haris Vuckic

What's utterly brilliant about today is we looked like a team.

We looked like a team and we absorbed their pressure and attacked at all times - very deserved win.

Hopefully it's a springboard. Last season could have been rescued if we got Remy in january - very, very important player in this system.

Guest firetotheworks

Praise for Pardew man. Howeh.

Well done, you did what all of us would have done over a year ago.

Agreed. Team selection was spot on today, and pleased it got us the 3 points.

Also wanted to add, how great were we at closing down the play in the final few minutes?

First time I've watched us defend a 1 goal lead and think "We're gonna be alright here".

No nervy moments  :smitten:

I'm saying that praise for Pardew isn't warranted.

We played really well as a team, not just going forward.  I thought Krul was unlucky for the goal because he had two Villa players between him and Benteke.  Our central defenders look like they are forming a really good partnership, our midfield was creative, robust and had movement and our front 3 caused Villa Problems but Cisse needs a goal soon.

All in all we got what we deserved and could have had a batter result if it wasn't for a shite performance from the officials who seemed to revel in booking our players while missing a clear penalty.

Rory Smith ‏@RorySmithTimes 3m

Crisis club Newcastle level on points with Manchester City, who are 4th. Early season surprise package Aston Villa are 16th.

TBF, they've had a nightmare set of fixtures to open the season.

:lol: All set for a nice easy fixture vs a struggling NUFC after a difficult start to the season.

http://i.imgur.com/nDQ8uFt.jpg