The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

Guest firetotheworks

Putting loads of very good players together and assuming that they'll be amazing is the kind of primary school mentality that would assume that a car being red and having 12 spoilers would automatically make it faster.

He'll grow as a manager and become very good. Needs to get rid of his arrogance (which serves him negatively) and keep calm. His reluctance to revert from the high line (because of Lloris ability to cut out through balls?) was a big indicator of how stubborn he was with his ideas.

Also read that he was unhappy with some of the signings they made in the summer. That's partly down to Levy, they need to find someone who isn't just an up-and-coming name and sought after, but rather someone to unite their squad and buy into the way they run the club (i.e. work under Baldini and be flexible). AVB's reluctance to play to the qualities to some of their signings (Soldado in a Cissé-esque situation) was there for everyone to see.

what separates him from (planA)lan Pardew, in your mind?

other than his season in portugal what the f*** has this lad actually done?  not seeing it myself

mourinho had the balance right, arrogance with always, always defending the players - AVB would sell his f***ing granny, no-one is going to want to play for the prick imho

He hasn't deployed a lumbering target man at RW. He hasn't been in charge of a team that hit most long balls of any team in Europe's top 5 leagues. It didn't take him 2.5 years to turn a game around. His team hasn't lost 10/13 games during a period in which barely any changes were made. He hasn't played the majority of his squad out of position. He hasn't been relegated, he hasn't been sacked in both The Championship and League One.

AVB's team certainly lacks a leader, character and have no offensive pattern or ideas to rely on. But it's still nowhere near what Pardew served up between October 2012 and November this year.

Not totally convinced by AVB at all, I just think his immaturity, both in terms of personality and football, was the main reason for his downfall, not the tactically confused, overly negative and shit scared character that Pardew has built his managerial identity on.

Twice had his best player sold to Madrid tbf

:thup:

People are way to blind though, there's some on here who will defend Pardew to death and then criticize other managers who clearly have more to them than him. I don't think he's done a great job, but you don't give a manager that much money and give him 4months. They're only five points behind City, and I'd say only getting Soldado to work from competing for top four. They're ahead of Man U, I get that his football hasn't been working, but I'm pretty sure he's had the most change in a side this season. Chadli, Lamela, Soldado, Paulinho, Capoue all need time to settle. Had it not been for Eriksson, Paulinho and Krul they'd be on a safe 30p already. Like I said, I understand the decision in a way, I just wouldn't have done the same.

Isn't it Baldini that does player recruitment? Didn't AVB dodge the bullet of responsibility in a post match interview yesterday when quizzed on player recruitment?

Pardew is similar here. Gets what he is given and told to shut the fuck up and get on with coaching the squad.

Twice had his best player sold to Madrid tbf

:thup:

People are way to blind though, there's some on here who will defend Pardew to death and then criticize other managers who clearly have more to them than him. I don't think he's done a great job, but you don't give a manager that much money and give him 4months. They're only five points behind City, and I'd say only getting Soldado to work from competing for top four. They're ahead of Man U, I get that his football hasn't been working, but I'm pretty sure he's had the most change in a side this season. Chadli, Lamela, Soldado, Paulinho, Capoue all need time to settle. Had it not been for Eriksson, Paulinho and Krul they'd be on a safe 30p already. Like I said, I understand the decision in a way, I just wouldn't have done the same.

Like you say, it's about the football. Even when they where picking up decent results they where mumbles about the football.

It looks like he doesn't know what he's doing.

They've played this season like a side that sold their one man team.

Even last season, Bale aside they simply did not impress me. They looked solid enough at the back but otherwise they had Bale win them at least 12 points single handidly.

I understand the decision, but think it's completely the wrong one.

He's under-performing so far this season, as are a lot of his players. A couple of really bad days at the office doesn't mean you should sack your manager.

Very little time given to players to settle and gel, very little time given to the manager. If you're intending on getting rid of the manager if you're a few points off where you should be after less than half the season, then don't give the green light to spending £100m on a wealth of new players in the summer.

I think he's a manager who has suffered from a lack of playing experience and experience in general, and he's nowhere near charismatic enough to make up for it. Which makes it unsurprising that he was thrown under the bus by the players at Chelsea. He just doesn't seem to have any kind of relationship or connection with his players. Probably the only advantage Pardew has over him, but it's still a significant quality to have. He flourished at Porto, helped by the fact that the environment was tailor-made, with 100% confidence in him from the club, fans and players. Unfortunately it's a hard football world beyond the walls of home. He has shown precious little of his "revolutionary" football ideas, even when things were going his way in Portugal.

I think he still has a good mind for the game though, would likely make a great pundit.

Word among Spurs fans is he was intensly disliked behind the scenes as well. Might have prompted it to occur at this stage already.

Too many people miss this point. In any other job, if you were decent at it but an absolute twat in the office, falling out with people, blaming others, doing PowerPoint presentations with made up words etc....you'd be out of a job too.

I know football operates differently to other businesses but too many are getting fixated on win percentage figures and other pointless stats. If the bloke isn't as he seemed in interview then why shouldn't they get rid of him?

I dislike Dave Whelan intensely but I quite liked it when he sacked Coyle and just said that he didn't 'get' the club in the way they thought he did and people didn't get on with him. Not all about results

Word among Spurs fans is he was intensly disliked behind the scenes as well. Might have prompted it to occur at this stage already.

It seems to me that his age as a manager works against him. I think certain egos of experienced players (who aren't really that much younger than him) struggle to take a talking to by him, where someone who has been in the game for years probably comes across wiser and more likely to be right in their wisdom. Seemed to be the case at Chelsea and at Spurs.

Also think AVB is poor for dropping players for the wrong reasons. To spend all that money on Lamela and for their to be talk of a loan out of the club already is terrible. He was wrong to drop Lampard when at Chelsea and I don't think he's used Lamela and Holtby enough while at Spurs. Also sending Assou-Ekotto out was a poor decision. He isn't the best left back but he's been doing ok for a while there now.

He deserved more time, but agree that he must rub people up the wrong way, players and club management, which sadly only works against him when the team struggle.

Be interesting to see what they do next. To sell Bale and buy so many players needed time to get it working so surprsied they have done this so soon.

We should start a Pardew for Spurs campaign. They can take Ashley with them.

:sweetjesus:

"Do you like one goal victories? Do you like unnecessarily edgy finishes to games? Do you want a gobshite manager to complement your (generally) insufferable fans? Maybe Pardew is the man for you!"