The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

21 hours ago, Ketsbaia said:

Surprised at the generally positive reaction to Postecoglu online.

I'm proper chuffed that he's all they could find.

I think it’s probably their smartest appointment since Poch. Think he’ll do very well. Will be interesting how he takes on the southern media.

I'll admit my ignorance upfront but wasn't he a bit of a leftfield/underwhelming appointment for Celtic?  He looks like he has done well there but so too did Lennon.

I smells all a bit Nuno Santos to me. Also I can't decide if it would help or hinder him if Kane was sold. Sell him and he'll be expected to successfully integrate into the team the 2/3 signings made to replace Kane's goals. We've seen time and again this isn't easy. Keep him and that is a big personality sticking up the place because he's not got his move and isn't exactly overawed by some Greek bloke who was just working in Scotland, it's a bit of a prestige drop from Conte!

Edited by Geordie_once_removed

Managers who come from Celtic or Rangers don't tend to do well in the EPL. The standards are just oceans apart as was found out by Strachan, Stevie G, McLeish who are 3 that immediately come to mind

14 hours ago, The Bonk said:

Won't most sugar daddy's dump money into Arsenal if they're interested in a North London club? Kinda their (Spuds) problem and why that ceiling is lower than their rivals. They've done pretty decent with Kane and Son, but arguably should have won a trophy with them. 

wasn’t saying one should go there just that their ambition is likely curtailed without one 

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

Postecoglou getting a 4 year contract. He's done very well for himself there

Aye, was thinking that too. Seems like a bit of a gamble for Spurs. 

Especially if Kane and Lloris go, they will lack leaders imo. 

Spurs have Ashley vibes these days. They want a manager to be the coach, not rock the boat with transfer demands or talk of ambition. Postecoglu is the equivalent of Pardew for them, an underwhelming appointment, and a bloke who'll be grateful for the opportunity. Although he might be slightly disappointed he didn't get an 8 year contract, but if he comes out in public support of Levy's running of the club, it could be his down the line.

36 minutes ago, TRon said:

Spurs have Ashley vibes these days. They want a manager to be the coach, not rock the boat with transfer demands or talk of ambition. Postecoglu is the equivalent of Pardew for them, an underwhelming appointment, and a bloke who'll be grateful for the opportunity. Although he might be slightly disappointed he didn't get an 8 year contract, but if he comes out in public support of Levy's running of the club, it could be his down the line.

Odd one Spurs mind, Postecogolu is the type of manager they probably need but for him to be successful he will need time to get his methods across. It's the polar opposite of the appointments they've made in recent years where they have looked for immediate fixes (Mourinho, Conte)

It shows the problem is Levy really, they lack a clear idea of what path they are working towards over the next 3-5 years.

He's also going to need about 8 new players, He likes progressive, front foot football which again is the opposite style of the previous managers including Espirito Santo. The likes of Holjberg, Skipp, Winks, Bissouma etc are knackered in his system.

Could literally go either way with him. He could be out on his arse by November, or he could have them back in the top 6 which with no European football to contend with is possible. Either wouldn't be a surprise.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

5 minutes ago, TeddySAFC said:

Odd one Spurs mind, Postecogolu is the type of manager they probably need but for him to be successful he will need time to get his methods across. It's the polar opposite of the appointments they've made in recent years where they have looked for immediate fixes (Mourinho, Conte)

It shows the problem is Levy really, they lack a clear idea of what path they are working towards over the next 3-5 years.

He's also going to need about 8 new players, He likes progressive, front foot football which again is the opposite style of the previous managers including Espirito Santo. The likes of Holjberg, Skipp, Winks, Bissouma etc are knackered in his system.

I'm sure he's probably a decent coach, but he's been given that job specifically because he will be happy to do what he's told. With Chelsea and Liverpool, even though they've had bad seasons, you know they will be gunning for the CL and spend whatever it takes to get there. For Spurs, they will want that as well, but only if they can buy during the sales.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

I'm sure he's probably a decent coach, but he's been given that job specifically because he will be happy to do what he's told. With Chelsea and Liverpool, even though they've had bad seasons, you know they will be gunning for the CL and spend whatever it takes to get there. For Spurs, they will want that as well, but only if they can buy during the sales.

Can't disagree, win win for Postecogolu though I think, Could finally be the one to bring some success (maybe a trophy) or he will just get a hefty payoff with reputation still decent as everyone seems to fail under Levy.

The lower profile than I imagine (but can’t be sure) most of their fans and likely players wanted / expected suggests to me that Kane is off. Im not convinced any bigger name would have taken the job without Kane or guarantees about replacements and reinvestment. 

Kane surely leaves now you have to think. No way this guy can keep him there. That’s not meant to be derogatory to Postecoglou because I rate his work, but how does this appointment persuade Kane his future is at Spurs

32 minutes ago, aussiemag said:

This is tough for me because I have huge admiration for Ange, but detest Spurs as a club. I do think he can do a Howe like job with that squad. 

That's exactly how I feel, one of my favourite managers since he managed the roar, was some great seasons then. But I can't stand Spurs and never wish them to succeed.

17 hours ago, The Bonk said:

Won't most sugar daddy's dump money into Arsenal if they're interested in a North London club? Kinda their (Spuds) problem and why that ceiling is lower than their rivals. They've done pretty decent with Kane and Son, but arguably should have won a trophy with them. 

There's not much reason why their ceiling should be any lower than Arsenal's. Arsenal are historically more successful - probably 3rd in England. But Spurs aren't far behind in any metric (except silverware).

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Could literally go either way with him. He could be out on his arse by November, or he could have them back in the top 6 which with no European football to contend with is possible. Either wouldn't be a surprise.

A genuinely interesting appointment. 

Just looked and I'm surprised that Norwegian fella is still at Bodo. Similar profile but doesn't seem to want to make the move/be trusted to do so.

38 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

Kane surely leaves now you have to think. No way this guy can keep him there. That’s not meant to be derogatory to Postecoglou because I rate his work, but how does this appointment persuade Kane his future is at Spurs

Daniel will decide whether Kane stays or goes. It's obvious but it's that simple.

For those that know anything about him, is he willing to be subservient to Mr Levy and/or prepared to put up with intervention from above? Seems the only way to guarantee longevity at Spurs; who knows if it'll guarantee any form of success. 

As others have said, it feels like a no-lose for him, whereas it reeks of - at best - a punt or - at worst - desperation from Spurs. Mad how much they've fucked it since binning Poch.