The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

About time Pep took on a challenge

Funny if Pellegrini wins the Champions League now

Theoretically they could still win two or three trophies. Bit of a hard act to follow if that happens.

Guest Roger Kint

Man U will be kicking themselves for not getting involved. they've only 1 option now.

I'm not a big enough name off this forum unfortunately.

Your gloryhunting reputation is getting about :lol:

If Pep wanted a proper challenge f***ing manage Norwich or us for instance.

Barca, Bayern and Man City, not exactly gonna be short of players is he. Love his football though.

Not realistic is it, no manager in their right mind would drop down from the top willingly.

People say this all the time but he's not alone, Mourinho and Ancelotti etc do the exact same thing.

Barca, Bayern and Man City, not exactly gonna be short of players is he. Love his football though.

Not realistic is it, no manager in their right mind would drop down from the top willingly.

People say this all the time but he's not alone, Mourinho and Ancelotti etc do the exact same thing.

It's like people saying Messi has to move to a lesser team, to prove he's the best in the world.  Why?  The best players, want to play for the best teams, surely? 

Aye very true.

It's like people saying Messi has to move to a lesser team, to prove he's the best in the world.  Why?  The best players, want to play for the best teams, surely? 

Think that stems from the fact Maradona carried teams by himself in his career more so than the fact that Messi plays for the best team in the world. The comparison for Messi is Maradona, and I assume people feel they can't make that comparison if they haven't done the same shit. :lol:

I wonder where Chelsea go from here long-term. Post-Mourinho the first time they tried to play better football - won trophies - but never had a manager for more than 2 seasons. That  Cech - JT - Lampard - Drogba spine was everything and could turn it on at ease.

When Mourinho joined they had that trio with a bit left in the tank. Mata, Oscar, Hazard, with De Bruyne & Lukaku out on loan to come back in.

That team and a few key players you would've hoped to replace them is gone.

They do they try to go back and play that better football? Do they keep the Morinho style (to a degree) and go Simeone? I don't think he even wants to leave. Feels like he's maybe a striker away from really being the full-blown real deal again (winning leagues and CL).

I think Man Utd would've been the best and most realistic challenge for him. Sure he'll have funds but he'll have to build a team from close to scratch. No worlds best player. No best team in Europe to inherit.

City's a decent challenge for him but they've the best quality in the land by far. Winning the league 2-3 years in a row, CL semi finals I wouldn't be impressed with. Getting to a CL final or winning it would be a big achievement.

Think that stems from the fact Maradona carried teams by himself in his career more so than the fact that Messi plays for the best team in the world. The comparison for Messi is Maradona, and I assume people feel they can't make that comparison if they haven't done the same s***. :lol:

It's not like Maradona didn't play for a big team though, he played for Barcelona. Ok there were politics involved but it's not like he woke up one day and thought you know i'm gonna purposefully leave them and carry Napoli.

I find the whole drop down and prove yourself with a small team to be very silly personally even if i would like to see it. Mind going from Bayern to City is a drop down. :lol:

Think that stems from the fact Maradona carried teams by himself in his career more so than the fact that Messi plays for the best team in the world. The comparison for Messi is Maradona, and I assume people feel they can't make that comparison if they haven't done the same s***. :lol:

You know, I almost included this in my original post.  But thought it is so obvious that times have changed massively, so it's not really comparable.  How many top top world class players, are signing for lesser teams?  As in top 5-10?  Not many.  I don't like trying to compare 'the best ever' across generations, anyway.  Plus, I wasn't around back then.  So  it's impossible for me to judge.

Anyway, I digress.  There are a lot of red top fan types in this country.  That seem to genuinely believe the PL is the best thing ever and Messi isn't worthy of being called the best in the world, until he has played here and dealt with physical teams, or until he has done it for another club other than Barca.  I've seen it used in the Ronaldo argument plenty of times and personally, I just don't buy it as a reason.

The original point Mole made and that I followed with the Messi example, is applicable to a lot of sports and scenarios.  Like I'm big into my horse racing, everyone now seems to be saying Ryan Moore is the best jockey in the world.  People reply with "yeah, but he gets to ride the best horses."  Yes, because he's the best FFS.  Hence why he gets picked to ride the short priced, well fancied favourites, for the best trainers around.  It's hardly like his agent is phoning round asking "are you interested in booking Ryan for your 33/1 outsider for the derby?"  :lol: 

It's no different with top players and top managers.

Hope Pellegrini gets a good job in the summer

:thup: Agree with that, comes across as a nice bloke and clearly a very good manager IMO.

Good appointment for Valencia maybe if they get their shit together in the summer

Guardiola's decided he's bored of playing with infinite lives and has decided to have a go with the invincibility cheat instead. Yawn.

Might be trickier than it seems at the moment. The balance of power has shifted slightly and the mid-table sides are fully capable now of beating a top 4 side. Much more than a decade ago. I do agree with your general point tho. A real test would have been a 10yr project outside a top 4 club.