The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

I loved this story:

Madrid approached Guardiola prior to Benitez sacking

Real Madrid approached Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola prior to sacking Rafael Benitez to see if the Catalan would be interested in taking over, according to well-respected Spain-based journalist Graham Hunter.

Speaking to the BBC, Hunter said: "It's a fact that six weeks ago they (Madrid) approached him and asked him 'would you take over?'. That underlines the fact that Pep is seen as the best appointment by every single club."

It was just over six weeks ago that Madrid was humiliated by Guardiola's former side Barcelona 4-0 at the Santiago Bernabeu.

"It was then leaked out just to make it publicly clear, gently, that Pep said 'I wouldn't fit there, no thank you'. But they did approach him."

"It says something about Real Madrid that they could get it so wrong, that one of the great anti-Madridistas - since he was born - was approached by them."

Real Madrid legend Zinedine Zidane was announced this morning as Benitez's replacement.

There are some parallels between Zidane and Guardiola with both being club legends - midfielders who won the Champions League - before taking over as coach of their respective club's youth/second team.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2016/01/05/madrid-approached-guardiola-prior-benitez-sacking

And then there's this:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Florentino Perez might think Zinedine Zidane is his Guardiola, but there is a chance, however small, that he's actually his Alan Shearer.</p>— Rory Smith (@RorySmithTimes) <a href="https://twitter.com/RorySmithTimes/status/684035411212111873">January 4, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What are the views on him over there, VI?  I always used to like Balague and dislike Hunter.  Now I don't really like either.  Hunter says everything like it's fact and comes across as arrogant.  Balague has turned into a red top, sensationalist journalist.  I used to like his views on Revista. 

Guest palnese

Omg Swansea were linked with Bielsa and that other guy. Well jel.

Alan Curtis appointed until the end of the season.

Looking forward to hearing Groo's opinion on this.

We need someone to score goals, hopefully we'll get someone in January.

Regarding Curtis, he's well respected. We have improved since he took over and most of the players are playing their best for him.

http://www.wsc.co.uk/wsc-daily/1205-january-2016/13025-alan-curtis-means-more-than-steady-hands-to-swansea

I believe Bielsa wanted a contract for at least 18 months and if I read correctly, wanted to pay his own team from his money, therefore he was looking at something like 7 million a year, perhaps if we were in a good position or it was the summer then maybe Huw would have gone for it, but it would have been a financial risk with relegation a possibility.

I believe Huw has decided to wait until summer after seeing the improvement on the field and Curtis has agreed to look after the ship until then, he apparently doesn't want the job full time.

Oh and I hope the managers of the other teams think like you guys, they will be in for a surprise I think

:thup: Nee bastard knows anything about his skills as a manager. Welsh bloke with proper creepy eyes as opposed to Bielsa so relegated.

Oh and I hope the managers of the other teams think like you guys, they will be in for a surprise I think

:thup: Nee bastard knows anything about his skills as a manager. Welsh bloke with proper creepy eyes as opposed to Bielsa so relegated.

Think that's a bit unfair, I based my judgement on trends I've seen (or think I've seen anyway) when caretakers take over rather than proper managers. Of course I know nowt about him, that's the whole point. All of these caretakers tend to be very highly rated.

Who knows how he'll do, I was just saying on the face of it this is better news for us than them appointing a proven manager. Might well end up being wrong.

:thup: Nee b****** knows anything about his skills as a manager. Welsh bloke with proper creepy eyes as opposed to Bielsa so relegated.

Still much rather them employ a 61 year old who has never managed at this level before, whose won 1 game in 6 as the caretaker over a proven commodity they could have brought in that probably would have gotten them enough new manager bounce to pull away from us.