The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

1 hour ago, gbandit said:

Phil "banal and simpering" McNulty leads with - Steven Gerrard sacked: Aston Villa manager 'undermined by results and performances'

The first comment rights this wrong - He wasn't "undermined" by results and performances. They are the things he was responsible for and he didn't get them right.

I hate the way people use language to completely absolve people of blame

McNulty is a simpering nothing of a 'reporter', but that's a great example of the football / media establishment and the contempt they show for fans.

36 points from 38 games, top scorer this season on 1 goal, scored 7 goals in 11 games, 17th in the table, getting worse.

But, no, all those thousands of people who travel all around the country watching us, all those people who spend thousands on season tickets, all those people who have barely missed a match in decades, all those people for whom the club is a part of their life - they're all insane to except anything better than that, because Stevie G.

Blimey.

Aston Villa can confirm Gary McAllister, Neil Critchley, Tom Culshaw, Jordan Milsom and Scott Mason have all left the club following the departure of Head Coach Steven Gerrard.

The Club would like to place on record its appreciation to them for their hard work and wish them well for the future.

First-team coach Aaron Danks will take charge of the team for Sunday’s Premier League match against Brentford at Villa Park and will be supported by additional Bodymoor Heath technical and coaching staff.

CEO Christian Purslow said: “The Board has come to this decision following a full evaluation of results and performances over the calendar year. We were clear when we appointed Steven that we set an objective of continuous improvement but that has not been achieved despite everybody’s best efforts and we believe the time is right to make these changes now.

“The process of appointing a new Head Coach is underway and we will update supporters as soon as possible.”

Almost all his (enormous) backroom staff binned as well. This clearly wasn't something that they decided to do last night.

3 minutes ago, brummie said:

McNulty is a simpering nothing of a 'reporter', but that's a great example of the football / media establishment and the contempt they show for fans.

36 points from 38 games, top scorer this season on 1 goal, scored 7 goals in 11 games, 17th in the table, getting worse.

But, no, all those thousands of people who travel all around the country watching us, all those people who spend thousands on season tickets, all those people who have barely missed a match in decades, all those people for whom the club is a part of their life - they're all insane to except anything better than that, because Stevie G.

Welcome to our world pre-Howe

Villa should have done better with the players they have, but they should have also got better players for the money they spent. The whole argument about them not being able to compete is false, same with Everton, especially considering how rich Villa’s owners are.

In reality outside the top 6, us, Villa, Everton, and potentially West Ham should all be competing for players of the same calibre/price tag.

Everton fucked up massively since they got the money, and Villa although their summer buys have been rated highly, should have and could have got better.

5 minutes ago, brummie said:

Although getting it because it's Gerrard is one thing, getting it because it was Steve Fucking Bruce was, as we both know, another fucking level.

I think it's just all too cosy and pally for them tbf. 

I mean just look back at Shearer's complete silence on how shit his drinking buddy was. 

I mentioned Sherwood on Talksport. Same old PFM crack. How Gerrard needs to get back ASAP cos "the longer you're out the harder it is to get back in" & "if your an English manager and get sacked you're tainted but if your Spanish, Portuguese or something you just move on" 

?

10 minutes ago, brummie said:

It's still not great, but isn't it 44 points from his 38 PL games? He took over last season on 10 points from Dean's 11 games, and then generated 35 in his 27 games to take you to 45 for the season (10W 5D 12L), and then the 9 from 11 this year (obviously poor), so in a full PL campaign of 38 games, it's 12W 8D 18L, 44 points. Not amazing as I say, and your squad / investment should be doing a lot better, but 36 points will often take you down, whereas 44 points will tend to get you around 14th, where you finished last season on 45 points?

He did win 3 of his first 4 games, so it is 35 points from his last 34 games, which is poorer, and does look a lot worse.

3 hours ago, KaKa said:

Villa really picked the wrong season to have a dud in charge. 

If they mess up their next appointment they are toast. Could easily see them go down.

Not sure who will agree to go there with the position they are currently in either.

Nah. Don't think they will go down. But they had a chance to be in position for 7th this year and have blown it.

1 minute ago, Paullow said:

It's still not great, but isn't it 44 points from his 38 PL games? He took over last season on 10 points from Dean's 11 games, and then generated 35 in his 27 games to take you to 45 for the season (10W 5D 12L), and then the 9 from 11 this year (obviously poor), so in a full PL campaign of 38 games, it's 12W 8D 18L, 44 points. Not amazing as I say, and your squad / investment should be doing a lot better, but 36 points will often take you down, whereas 44 points will tend to get you around 14th, where you finished last season on 45 points?

He did win 3 of his first 4 games, so it is 35 points from his last 34 games, which is poorer, and does look a lot worse.

Yeah you may be right, but as you say, it's fucking dreadful.

I can't believe these media chumps not understanding how he got sacked.

And then that's only based on the points - there's also the toxic fucking character, the refusal to ever acknowledge the away fans, the projection of himself as the most important thing, the appointment of McGinn (the least captain material you'll find) captain, the blatant throwing of players under the bus every week, the dreadful lack of anything that looked like coaching or tactics, the needless ruck he picked with Mings, the bizarre ostracisation of Sanson and Guilbert (been training with the kids).

And there's loads more of that sort of thing.

Having Ings, Watkins, Coutinho, Bailey, Watkins and even midfielders like Ramsey and barely being able to get a goal out of them is fucking hilarious.

Even though I always liked Lampard as a player much more than I did Gerrard, I had them in the same managerial bracket. Fast-tracked cos of their careers and out of their depth. And yet, it does seem like Tory Frankie is gradually learning and starting to make some inroads, by making Everton a bit harder to beat and getting some home form. Gerrard has spent loads of cash and regressed Villa a fair bit which to me is a great shame as it makes his chances of succeeding Klopp and making an arse of the Liverpool job that bit less likely.

3 minutes ago, brummie said:

Yeah you may be right, but as you say, it's fucking dreadful.

I can't believe these media chumps not understanding how he got sacked.

And then that's only based on the points - there's also the toxic fucking character, the refusal to ever acknowledge the away fans, the projection of himself as the most important thing, the appointment of McGinn (the least captain material you'll find) captain, the blatant throwing of players under the bus every week, the dreadful lack of anything that looked like coaching or tactics, the needless ruck he picked with Mings, the bizarre ostracisation of Sanson and Guilbert (been training with the kids).

And there's loads more of that sort of thing.

I was hoping he would have been kept on a bit longer (not from a Villa perspective, ha), and certainly until at least after next Saturday, but yeah, from an outside perspective, he did feel the main thing holding you back and that a more competent manager would get you up and running pretty sharp, and if you can get in someone with real credentials, like some of those that have been linked, then it will be like chalk and cheese.

The fans had obviously turned, VillaTalk was like a bloodbath [emoji38], and when you get to that stage, he has to go, because he was clearly on borrowed time, and a win here and there will just give him a tiny stay of execution, and needlessly delay the inevitable.

I think people have jumped the gun far too quickly with Lampard now supposedly being better than Gerrard like. Everton's results have been okay so far but that's it and I'd put that down to a couple of solid defensive signings and a competetive midfield. Coady and Tarkowski were good signings, especially Coady. Beyond that though, they create very very little and their wing play especially is non-existent. They've had 1 shot on target in the last 2 matches. 1! 

Edited by Kid Icarus

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I think people have jumped the gun far too quickly with Lampard now supposedly being better than Gerrard like. Everton's results have been okay so far but that's it and I'd put that down to a couple of solid defensive signings and a competetive midfield. Coady and Tarkowski were good signings, especially Coady. Beyond that though, they create very very little and their wing play especially is non-existent. They've had 1 shot in the last 2 matches. 1!

He's ahead of where Gerrard is IMO but it's a low, low fucking bar. You're right in that they look a muddled mess going forwards (much like Villa) but he's at least tightened them up somewhat, managed to get a tune out of Iwobi who looked like the biggest waste of time ever and made a few sensible signings in Coady, Tarkowski, Onana.

For what it's worth I don't think Lampard will ever do anything with Everton other than keep them in that 10th-17th zone, he'll likely run out of road at some point. But I don't see him making such a huge arse of it as Gerrard has.

No big name world class manager wanted to come to us a year ago when we were in a similar situation so I don’t see why they would go to Villa. It obviously worked out well for us but Eddie Howe type managers don’t come along very often.