The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

43 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Maybe I'm just dreaming as it'd be fucking hilarious, but I struggle to see him not back and managing a PL side in the not too distant future, probably via Championship. Because of fucking course more than anything. He just seems like the type to get carried way beyond where he'd legitimately be able to claim to be able to get himself. His attitude doesnt seem to me like it'd let him quit either. If he quits he fucks off and Im happy if he doesnt he'll provide hilarity for years to come. Win-win.

It is going to be tricky though. He got the LFC youth team job through his status as a player. It appears he got the Rangers job through contacts. Dalglish and a couple of others with connections to Rangers hierarchy played a role. Purslow played a big role in him getting the Villa job. I dont think he has gotten a job because he impressed the owners and CEO with his footballing vision or interview.  I guess as long as his mates continue to back him in the media, he will end up getting another job. 

Having said that, I am wondering which PL club he even has a chance. Arsenal, Brentford, Brighton, Chelsea, Crystal Palace, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, City, United, Newcastle, Spurs, Southampton - all have moved past "personality" or "big name" player managers. They all have a plan or vision with DOFs running the scenes and look to hire managers who fit that vision. Everton too for all their transfer failings - you can see that they are trying to implement the modern DOF manager model - they just haven't nailed the appointments in the past. I don't know enough about West Ham, Wolves, and the remaining clubs. I just don't see space for someone like him managing in the PL unless he shows that he has something interesting in terms of tactics, vision elsewhere. 

Of course, at some point, there is going to be an intense media campaign to get him the LFC job, but he seems to be the exact opposite of the analytics data driven FSG type. 

34 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

Having said that, I am wondering which PL club he even has a chance. Arsenal, Brentford, Brighton, Chelsea, Crystal Palace, Leeds, Leicester, Liverpool, City, United, Newcastle, Spurs, Southampton - all have moved past "personality" or "big name" player managers. They all have a plan or vision with DOFs running the scenes and look to hire managers who fit that vision. Everton too for all their transfer failings - you can see that they are trying to implement the modern DOF manager model - they just haven't nailed the appointments in the past. I don't know enough about West Ham, Wolves, and the remaining clubs. I just don't see space for someone like him managing in the PL unless he shows that he has something interesting in terms of tactics, vision elsewhere. 

Of course, at some point, there is going to be an intense media campaign to get him the LFC job, but he seems to be the exact opposite of the analytics data driven FSG type. 

He’s not smart enough or bothered. He was an unbelievable player, but he’s clearly not going to be a very good manager. I can’t picture him sitting a room with a bunch of sports data scientists plotting out formation, tactics, etc.  

7 minutes ago, Gaztoon said:

I'd try go the southgate route if I was Gerrard.. get into the england set up with the unders and learn his trade.

Wonder if Villa will go the other way, go with a Caretaker for the next few games and see if Southgate would go after the World Cup. Would be a big mistake for Villa but ex-legend and all that jazz.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

I thought he'd do well, and wouldn't be surprised if he made a successful comeback in time.

He's not been lucky with injuries, and signing Coutinho looks like a costly mistake. He never looks like he fits in with that side.

Perhaps a more experienced manager could have handled the Mings - McGinn captaincy situation better. One of Eddie's many achievements is how he has eased Lascelles out of the first team without damaging team unity or morale.

Villa really picked the wrong season to have a dud in charge. 

If they mess up their next appointment they are toast. Could easily see them go down.

Not sure who will agree to go there with the position they are currently in either.

7 hours ago, Jonas said:

I never thought he or anybody could move Villa out of that middle tier. O'Neill spent a fortune and couldn't.

So what could he achieve? At the absolute best 7th. Kinda where Villa often have been.

You'll know better than me Brummie but in the PL era doesn't that include O'Neill, O'Leary, Big Ron, Brian Little, Gregory. So Gerrard could have done what they did at most.

He would have had to break into the top 6 to be on track for Liverpool and it was never happening. So he should have bided his time and learned his trade better at Rangers. For me.

If it was a Man City situation then by all means.

Thought as a Newcastle fan you would know better than to peddle shite about a club having a ceiling.

4 minutes ago, jack j said:

Poch

Emery

Tuchel

Frank

The 4 at the top of the bookies market

Aside from Frank I can’t see any of them going to Villa unless they are offered a shit load of money , Tuchel and Poch are leagues above what Villa can attract , Unai was obviously tempted by us last year so he might be interested.

16 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Can't see any of those going there.

Wouldn't be surprised if they end up with Rafa. Could see him go there and turn things around for them quite quickly.

He needs to for his reputation because he done an awful job at Everton.

38 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Villa really picked the wrong season to have a dud in charge. 

If they mess up their next appointment they are toast. Could easily see them go down.

Not sure who will agree to go there with the position they are currently in either.

They might end up like wolves struggling to find someone to step up to the plate.

They will already have sounded someone out. Key appointment for them. If they get this right, they will be a top half side very quickly.

I actually have so much more respect for Villa fans for the way they turned on him. Could have easily sat on their hands and done nowt.

He's another top ex footballer who thought football management was something it isn't. Being an ex footballer holds no water in that game. If you aren't prepared to be studious and adapt you will get found out.

3 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

Managing Rangers or Celtic is light years away from managing in the EPL

Mostly yes. Postecoglou at Celtic has done a good job (with what he has) and is a serial success merchant everywhere he's gone. Very likely to end up in the EPL and will be fully prepared when he does.

13 minutes ago, STM said:

They will already have sounded someone out. Key appointment for them. If they get this right, they will be a top half side very quickly.

I actually have so much more respect for Villa fans for the way they turned on him. Could have easily sat on their hands and done nowt.

He's another top ex footballer who thought football management was something it isn't. Being an ex footballer holds no water in that game. If you aren't prepared to be studious and adapt you will get found out.

Nah fuck them

Plenty trying to stick the boot into us when they appointed him and we got Howe.