The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

If you were a diehard Wigan fan would you be disappointed in the grander scheme of things? Last 10-12 years they've had a bash at being a big club, way beyond what they would expect. They've had a good run in the Premier League, had a League Cup Final, won the FA Cup and had a European run. Realistically that was never going to be consistent or long term, and they've returned to their average level. They showed ambition.

I'd bet the few thousand that used to turn up at Springfield Park when they were battling relegation into The Conference can still look back and be proud at what they've done.

Guest Howaythetoon

If you were a diehard Wigan fan would you be disappointed in the grander scheme of things? Last 10-12 years they've had a bash at being a big club, way beyond what they would expect. They've had a good run in the Premier League, had a League Cup Final, won the FA Cup and had a European run. Realistically that was never going to be consistent or long term, and they've returned to their average level. They showed ambition.

I'd bet the few thousand that used to turn up at Springfield Park when they were battling relegation into The Conference can still look back and be proud at what they've done.

For me its all about potential. Wigan fans have every right to demand that their club get back into the top-flight, stay there, play good football and compete in the cups even though size wise and history wise there are bigger clubs in League Two.

Just like we have every right to demand that our club tries to play good football, look to win a trophy and break into the top 6, despite years of shit.

Arsenal fans have every right to demand their club tries to win the league, even the CL etc.

But even in the Premier League, they punched above their weight. It's the same with the likes of Bolton, Fulham, Blackburn, Boro, Portsmouth....once they went down and they were stuck with big wages, no more Sky money, etc. it was always going to be hard to come back.

Guest Howaythetoon

But even in the Premier League, they punched above their weight. It's the same with the likes of Bolton, Fulham, Blackburn, Boro, Portsmouth....once they went down and they were stuck with big wages, no more Sky money, etc. it was always going to be hard to come back.

Aye, but why should fans simply be happy to be back to where they once belonged or once were? Not saying that's why you are suggesting.

I once regarded NUFC as a club with the potential to compete for the league and as such I expected my club to at least try and compete with those kind of clubs, sadly it is now out of the question unless of an Abramovic or oil money. But top 6?

Bit harsh to throw Bolton and Blackburn in with that lot. Blackburn have won as many major honours as we have although I know where you're coming from RE: "potential" aka attendances/catchment.

• 1 month later...