The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

5 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Direct opposition to Italy where it seems like every decade a manager or team popularises something that changes football management in some aspect. 

In Italy there’s a school for coaches, Coverciano, all the big Italian managers have written thesis’ on an aspect of football or coaching. It’s completely different. 

10 hours ago, Disco said:

In Italy there’s a school for coaches, Coverciano, all the big Italian managers have written thesis’ on an aspect of football or coaching. It’s completely different. 

Coverciano is basically just the HQ of the Italian national team (it's just outside Florence). Their equivalent of St George's Park. 

There's no reason the English FA couldn't be inculcating deeper thinking in our managers using those facilities, but I bet they don't.

I mean, look at some of the coaches involved in the national team at youth level for an idea of the mindset.

16 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I don’t have concrete evidence or proof.  But there is a lack of thought and application to the managerial approach of 99% of English managers.  

There’s not been a genuine world class English manager in my lifetime. There’s something deep rooted in the English footballing culture that is not curious about innovating ANYTHING about the game on the pitch.

Direct opposition to Italy where it seems like every decade a manager or team popularises something that changes football management in some aspect. 

Call it laziness, lack of intellectual curiosity it’s something.  I don’t even think it’s just tactically - it’s every aspect.  

Example of this.  

Good video covering points we’ve been discussing across different topics in the last few days. The end scaenarios is similar to what Villa did to us on the weekend.  Continually waltzed pass our press and we were regularly 4 vs 4 ok our backline. 

1 hour ago, brummie said:

Coverciano is basically just the HQ of the Italian national team (it's just outside Florence). Their equivalent of St George's Park. 

There's no reason the English FA couldn't be inculcating deeper thinking in our managers using those facilities, but I bet they don't.

I mean, look at some of the coaches involved in the national team at youth level for an idea of the mindset.

We need a cultural shift.  Grass roots coaches and players aren’t encouraged to think about the game tactically.  Steven Gerrard was a tactically undisciplined player for his entire career and fell off as soon as he lost his athleticism but he’s lauded as the best English central midfielder of a generation and his play style is encouraged to youngsters.  It’s no surprise Alonso and Arteta - tactically astute footballers have become tactically astute managers. I can imagine Rafa spending lots of time talking through positional play with Alonso and just thinking ‘we’ll build a solid base and just let Stevie do Stevie because he doesn’t have the capacity to do anything else and he can win us the game doing that anyway’.  

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I’m amazed we’re still telling people to play like Gerrard. I thought everyone was being taught to tiki-taka like Foden now?

Tbh this is probably true about Foden but it’s not tiki taka.  It’s still essentially an attacking player with individual quality which is what Gerrard did at his peak in Liverpool. 

we still don’t produce players in the mould of Kroos, Thiago, Xabi Alonso etc. The biggest criticism Rice gets in the media is that he doesn’t score enough goals or get enough assists. Not that he doesn’t dictate play enough. Use his positioning rather than his athleticism to sweep up. 

Funnily enough Fabregas ended up being a Gerrard style player rather than a Xavi style player people expected. His tactical indiscipline was a big issue at Barca and under Conte. His game ended up being all about goals and assists and awful off the ball. Toni Kroos lost his legs at 28 but can still compete at the highest level due to his positional sensibilities.