The Managerial Merry Go Round™ - Pochettino leaves Chelsea by ‘mutual consent’

cp40

Regarding ”super” Frank’s Chelsea, Boehly apparently take a visit to dressing room after the last match [emoji38] 

One insider said that “the whole thing [owners in Chelsea dressing room] was weird”. It is understood that 1 senior player, signed for a large fee in the past 12 months, was singled out for heavy criticism. That player, whose identity is not being disclosed, is believed to be…

7 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Finders fee, another £30m for Brighton from Chelsea 

I can honestly see Scattergun Todd agreeing to that deal

After all, he's not the greatest negotiator in the world

Noticed something from the PFM loving media re Emery the last few days.

What I am hearing is "How is he having so much success" to which the answer has been "He's concentrated on the simple things", delivered in such a way as to think Gerrard was on the right track, but Emery has changed a bit here, a bit there. That thing about Watkins saying Emery has told him to do less running for the team and concentrate on getting between the centre halves is being taken to an extreme, the lazy media thinking "Ah, it's just the simple stuff".

That's not true. It is very much the complicated stuff, he's created a machine which responds to his instructions, he stands on the touchline shouting instructions throughout games, whereas Gerrard sat slumped in his seat emotionless.

He's totally changed the way we play, beyond all recognition, in 19 games.

That's not "the simple stuff", that's "the fucking complicated coaching stuff" which their hero Gerrard had zero idea about.

2 hours ago, brummie said:

Noticed something from the PFM loving media re Emery the last few days.

What I am hearing is "How is he having so much success" to which the answer has been "He's concentrated on the simple things", delivered in such a way as to think Gerrard was on the right track, but Emery has changed a bit here, a bit there. That thing about Watkins saying Emery has told him to do less running for the team and concentrate on getting between the centre halves is being taken to an extreme, the lazy media thinking "Ah, it's just the simple stuff".

That's not true. It is very much the complicated stuff, he's created a machine which responds to his instructions, he stands on the touchline shouting instructions throughout games, whereas Gerrard sat slumped in his seat emotionless.

He's totally changed the way we play, beyond all recognition, in 19 games.

That's not "the simple stuff", that's "the fucking complicated coaching stuff" which their hero Gerrard had zero idea about.

And worryingly it's still more nuanced punditry than the usual 'if they can do this for <good manager> why didn't they for <shit manager>? They clearly downed tools and should be ashamed of themselves for getting <shit manager> sacked'. 

2 hours ago, brummie said:

He's totally changed the way we play, beyond all recognition, in 19 games

Howay man, that's impossible! Bruce couldn't change how we played in two years man! 

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Don't get me wrong, what Emery has done at Villa to date is brilliant, but he's still got a lot to prove.

Has he though? He won 3 consecutive Europa Leagues with Seville and then one more with Villareal. He's as proven as probably the best just below the elite managers, way more so than wor Eddie. Not saying I'd swap with Villa mind, Eddie will have had a better career IMO :smitten:

1 minute ago, Nobody said:

Has he though? He won 3 consecutive Europa Leagues with Seville and then one more with Villareal. He's as proven as probably the best just below the elite managers, way more so than wor Eddie. Not saying I'd swap with Villa mind, Eddie will have had a better career IMO :smitten:

My thinking on this is that there have been a number of top clubs that just can't get their shit together at the mo, and older, wiser, more experienced and successful manager like Emery would be a vastly better option than, say, a 'young up and coming guy' like Potter.

Clubs like Juve, Atleti, Chelsea, Spurs etc wouldn't go far wrong in going for Emery.

3 minutes ago, toon25 said:

My thinking on this is that there have been a number of top clubs that just can't get their shit together at the mo, and older, wiser, more experienced and successful manager like Emery would be a vastly better option than, say, a 'young up and coming guy' like Potter.

Clubs like Juve, Atleti, Chelsea, Spurs etc wouldn't go far wrong in going for Emery.

Definitely agree with that, however Villa are ambitious and have the money to back it up so there's no way they would let him leave. Most of those clubs would, wrongly, consider him not good enough anyway, the absolute dafties. 

8 hours ago, Nobody said:

He's proven he's a very good cup manager, but his league form wasn't particularly good at Sevilla or PSG. Though I think he was harshly treat at Arsenal.

Villa are riding the crest of a wave now, playing some really good stuff, but that the underlying data suggests they have been somewhat lucky.

It might be a different story next season. Villa will invest heavily over the summer and he'll be able to put his own stamp on the team, but I don't think any of Europe's elite will be charging in for him this summer.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

He's proven he's a very good cup manager, but his league form wasn't particularly good at Sevilla or PSG. Though I think he was harshly treat at Arsenal.

Villa are riding the crest of a wave now, playing some really good stuff, but that the underlying data suggests they have been somewhat lucky.

It might be a different story next season. Villa will invest heavily over the summer and he'll be able to put his own stamp on the team, but I don't think any of Europe's elite will be charging in for him this summer.

They will also have to deal with teams becoming more aware of them as well. Similarly to us earlier in the season, they have somewhat gone under the radar a little. As teams become more aware of them they will find it more difficult, a bit like we have at times in the second half of this season.