2014 FIFA World Cup Brasil™ - Europe vs. America

LucaAltieri
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wonder what the odds on Suarez to catch the ball defending his team's goal to stop them conceding within the next season are?

Surely worthy of a daft bet  :lol:

That's 'cheating' within the rules. Completely irrelevant.

I don't entirely buy the argument that Liverpool are particularly hard done by. They bought Suarez knowing his record, then stuck by him through more incidents. This is what he does, and when you buy Suarez then you know you are buying it too. You take the risk, knowing that his hyper-competitiveness can be a double-edged sword.

Of course you don't, it's bollocks.

It's not though really, is it? They pay his wages. The Uruguayan FA get to call him up for an international tournament that makes the organisers, and by consequence them, millions. He acts like an arse playing for the association, and gets banned from playing not only internationally but also for the club, who are the ones who continue to shell out his wages (approx. 3 million). I agree with the sentence btw (including the 4 month ban from all football activities), but if this was an important Newcastle player I would be livid at the player first and foremost for acting the way he did, but also FIFA for handing out a punishment that hits us harder than the association that called him up in the first place.

I feel sorry for Liverpool and their fans, but they should be fining the little cunt every penny of his wages while he's banned. This is 100% Suarez fault, and all Liverpool fans should be livid at him getting himself banned from being able to play at their club.

Liverpool are slightly unlucky, but not hard done by. They signed and continue to employ a guy with a record of catastrophic behaviour.

I don't entirely buy the argument that Liverpool are particularly hard done by. They bought Suarez knowing his record, then stuck by him through more incidents. This is what he does, and when you buy Suarez then you know you are buying it too. You take the risk, knowing that his hyper-competitiveness can be a double-edged sword.

Of course you don't, it's bollocks.

It's not though really, is it? They pay his wages. The Uruguayan FA get to call him up for an international tournament that makes the organisers, and by consequence them, millions. He acts like an arse playing for the association, and gets banned from playing not only internationally but also for the club, who are the ones who continue to shell out his wages (approx. 3 million). I agree with the sentence btw (including the 4 month ban from all football activities), but if this was an important Newcastle player I would be livid at the player first and foremost for acting the way he did, but also FIFA for handing out a punishment that hits us harder than the association that called him up in the first place.

I feel sorry for Liverpool and their fans, but they should be fining the little cunt every penny of his wages while he's banned. This is 100% Suarez fault, and all Liverpool fans should be livid at him getting himself banned from being able to play at their club.

Liverpool are slightly unlucky, but not hard done by. They signed and continue to employ a guy with a record of catastrophic behaviour.

Oh very much so, same with us and Barton to be honest.

Sort of neither here nor there, but I was looking at how many teams from each confederation progressed to the knockout stage. Not sure it says anything, or not anything important, anyway, but it's almost vaguely interesting:

Confederation: qualified for WC/progressed to knockout (percentage progressed)

AFC: 4/0 (0.00)

CAF: 5/2 (0.40)

CONCACAF: 4/3 (0.75)

CONMEBOL: 6/5 (0.83)

OFC: 0/0 (0.00)

UEFA: 13/6 (0.46)

CONCACAF and CONMEBOL did pretty well.

for at least this cup, do you think region of the world had anything to do with it?

I really don't know. You figure CONMEBOL is going to do pretty well wherever. As Disco pointed out all 5 teams went to the knockout stage in South Africa. CONCACAF is hard to tell, because it's such a small group of qualifying teams anyway.

I think CONCACAF came into this tournament overly prepared. Mexico had a horrific qualifying campaign to forget about and get over while the U.S. and Costa Rica had to prepare themselves for difficult groups.

Worked well if so, I think a lot of teams such as yourselves and Mexico etc, have benefitted from having comparatively fresh players. Modern football is more and more constant playing and if you think of the 'big nations' who have players playing week in-week out year on year at the top level none have really played well aside from the odd 10-15 spell while the so called lesser nations can use their fresher players to play a high intensity game whilst retaining a level of organisation.

The shit being peddled for Suarez.

Comparable examples would be players who have done the same piece of violent conduct three times (beyond the ambit or foresight of the rules of the game at that) with the final example being during the biggest sporting spectacle in the world. 

Joey Barton has no place in this conversation. For a start he was dealt with by the UK Criminal Justice System and the Football Association of England and Wales.

Fifa gets something right and people still hen peck.

Flip if this was the first time I'd agree with you, its the third f*cking time though :lol: he has to be taught a lesson.

First time he was charged with a racist remark he was given 8 games, first time Terry did it he was given 4games. Defoe was given a yellow for his bite while Suarez got 10 for his bite. There's just no consistency in football, like I said I'm all for this punishment if it actually led somewhere when other players did things as bad. I just think that limiting him from training with his team or going to watch a game is ridiculous. I don't think the amount of games per se is ridiculous.

The s*** being peddled for Suarez.

Comparable examples would be players who have done the same piece of violent conduct three times (beyond the ambit or foresight of the rules of the game at that) with the final example being during the biggest sporting spectacle in the world. 

Joey Barton has no place in this conversation. For a start he was dealt with by the UK Criminal Justice System and the Football Association of England and Wales.

When Suarez has been dealt by the FA he's been hit harder than Barton despite Barton clearly doing terrible stuff. When Terry (with clear evidence!!) was charged for racism he got less than Suarez as well. There's no consistency.

Flip if this was the first time I'd agree with you, its the third f*cking time though :lol: he has to be taught a lesson.

First time he was charged with a racist remark he was given 8 games, first time Terry did it he was given 4games. Defoe was given a yellow for his bite while Suarez got 10 for his bite. There's just no consistency in football, like I said I'm all for this punishment if it actually led somewhere when other players did things as bad. I just think that limiting him from training with his team or going to watch a game is ridiculous. I don't think the amount of games per se is ridiculous.

:lol: If only they had a hearing to determine the appropriate level of a punishment based on I don't know, evidence. Also FIFA is not the FA.

The shit being peddled for Suarez.

You missed the point, it wasn't about the crime he was mentioned, it was about signing a controversial player who has known to be trouble in the past. You have to accept what comes with these players and not bitch about being hard-done by when they show their true colours again.

When Suarez has been dealt by the FA he's been hit harder than Barton despite Barton clearly doing terrible stuff. When Terry (with clear evidence!!) was charged for racism he got less than Suarez as well. There's no consistency.

Relevance?

Both were banned for racist remarks. How is that inconsistent?

If you take the time to read the Suarez judgement you can see the rationale behind the longer ban. The length of ban for Terry was determined by it being a single incident.

There is a difference between consistency and uniformity.

You missed the point, it wasn't about the crime he was mentioned, it was about signing a controversial player who has known to be trouble in the past. You have to accept what comes with these players and not bitch about being hard-done by when they show their true colours again.

Ah I see :thup:

Wonder what the odds on Suarez to catch the ball defending his team's goal to stop them conceding within the next season are?

Surely worthy of a daft bet  :lol:

That's 'cheating' within the rules. Completely irrelevant.

But neither option is irrevalent with this guy though. He takes his society back to the primative age yet he should be held against modern society's standards. The outcry when he has though...

He's a Liverpool player, they signed him, they pay him, he represents them at all times, maybe not no the field but he's their player 100%. If he's going to consistently act like a horrible cunt the he's going to get himself banned regularly. If Liverpool can't accept it and tolerate it then they need to move him on. The player has been banned and it's tough shit for Liverpool and tough shit for Uruguay.

Not even the merest hint of a scrap of sympathy. Signed a cunt? Deal with it.

He's a Liverpool player, they signed him, they pay him, he represents them at all times, maybe not no the field but he's their player 100%. If he's going to consistently act like a horrible cunt the he's going to get himself banned regularly. If Liverpool can't accept it and tolerate it then they need to move him on. The player has been banned and it's tough shit for Liverpool and tough shit for Uruguay.

It's worse than that though really. It's not just that they signed him, not just that they failed to apply sanctions when he fell out of line but that in addition to both these things, they actively backed the douche.

It's worse than that though really. It's not just that they signed him, not just that they failed to apply sanctions when he fell out of line but that in addition to both these things, they actively backed the douche.

Was more a comment made about the fact he's been banned for Liverpool games despite biting in a Uruguay shirt. Still the same bloke...

One more thing too. He's whining on saying he's being persecuted and picked on by the British press but casually forgetting the same group of people voted him the best player in the league last season. He's just an utter cunt who refuses to accept responsibility for his cuntish behaviour. Fuck him and fuck Liverpool.

The three-man defence has been highly successful so far. A three-man defence has played a four-man defence (at least from the start) on ten occasions. These matches have produced eight victories for the three-man defence, and two draws. A back four is yet to beat a back three. There have been two meetings between three-man defences, Uruguay 1-0 Italy and Netherlands 2-0 Chile.

Thought this was interesting. It's definitely back in fashion.

The three-man defence has been highly successful so far. A three-man defence has played a four-man defence (at least from the start) on ten occasions. These matches have produced eight victories for the three-man defence, and two draws. A back four is yet to beat a back three. There have been two meetings between three-man defences, Uruguay 1-0 Italy and Netherlands 2-0 Chile.

certainly seen an increase in usage in last few years I've noticed, I half wonder if its because tbh these days you'd be hard pressed to name many defenders who are of the same level of quality of the past so 3 of them to compensate. Wonder how many sides will adopt it after the world cup.

Tabarez all but saying that the english media made FIFA ban Suarez for so long the self same english media that FIFA despises for asking awkward questions about how corrupt the organisation is. Didn't seem to admit that Suarez was actually in the wrong either judging by journos on twitter.

Tabarez all but saying that the english media made FIFA ban Suarez for so long the self same english media that FIFA despises for asking awkward questions about how corrupt the organisation is. Didn't seem to admit that Suarez was actually in the wrong either judging by journos on twitter.

If there's one thing FIFA respond well to, it's the English Media.

certainly seen an increase in usage in last few years I've noticed, I half wonder if its because tbh these days you'd be hard pressed to name many defenders who are of the same level of quality of the past so 3 of them to compensate. Wonder how many sides will adopt it after the world cup.

I think it makes sense since there are hardly any wingers or traditional centre forwards any more. Fullbacks are kind of weird. Weirder still that we play with 4 or 5, but that's another story.

3 at the back can be great with certain type of players, but it all needs to fit seamlessly as Juve found out in CL it has some major weaknesses against teams with lots of width.

Can't really see it catching on the PL at least unless teams plan to build around a 3 man defense.