Have you ever played with or against someone who's made it?

Guest palnese

I just find the lower the level i play at, the less i enjoy it, really.

Why does the level you play at matter?

It will probably sound a bit soft but it gets a lot more physical as you drop down, which doesn't really suit my style of play and i don't think the refs offer enough protection.

Well i hope i don't come across as bitter but not really. It's probably improved quite a bit since then though, i would imagine. Although not many players have came through since i left.

When people ask me which academy they should take there son to, i usually say Middlesbrough out of the big 3 in the North East.

I don't think any of that will come across as bitter, our record and that of Boro speaks for themselves.

It will probably sound a bit soft but it gets a lot more physical as you drop down, which doesn't really suit my style of play and i don't think the refs offer enough protection.

The ref's were shit when I played, I once got my neck studded and didn't get a free-kick.

Must be fucking annoying for Boro fans to see the number of their academy lads playing regularly in the Premier League - off the top of my head, Downing, Johnson, Cattermole, Graham, Taylor, Morrison. Our record is laughable in comparison.

Must be fucking annoying for Boro fans to see the number of their academy lads playing regularly in the Premier League - off the top of my head, Downing, Johnson, Cattermole, Graham, Taylor, Morrison. Our record is laughable in comparison.

Joe Bennett is at Villa, although doesn't play regularly I don't think.

For all you oldies older than 50, used to play in the same school team as Paul Cannell..............He was useless then as well!!

Later in life played a staff Football game against (i think) Rutherford school and Dave Hilley was playing for them...........although in his 40's by then, still had all the touches and vision..........i never got near him in 90 minutes.

Tony Green, after he retired through injury, became a teacher and brought his Under 13 team to play against my Under 13 from Claremont Middle School.............That was awesome, as he was my hero.

When i helped run the Newcastle Boys Team in the late 70's, we had Paul Stephenson and Ian Bogie in the team, although the best player never got picked up by any club............Jimmy Page was his name (A name not to forget).

Guest firetotheworks

A couple that I forgot to mention. Went to school with and played on the yard against David Borely, who ended up at Burnley (I think) and is still the best player that I've ever played against or with. He was absolutely ridiculous. Absolutely no one could get the ball off him. Also played on the yard with Mark Rassmussen who I think played for Newcastle Under-whatever and definitely played for England Under-whatever. Totally class like, the year above me in school won pretty much every tournament and league going. iirc they got to a European final and lost.

Played against Paul Dummet a fair few times on the field next to mine. Went to same schools and he was a few years younger. Pretty sure I must have played Michael Richardson too. Played against Ryan Donaldson at least once for my Cubs team - he caused a scandal cos he wasn't within the age limit...he was too young (still a Beaver).

I think I've had a kickabout with early 90s Scot Paul Sweeney shortly after he finished as I lived in same street as him for years when I was little.

Played school football with Greg Rutherford who's now playing for Hartlepool. Despite being from Whitley Bay and playing at a very good level his whole life, NUFC never once watched him. I think Boro and Sunderland did and he had a stint with Boro.

I'm not sure what our scouting policy is tbh

Doesn't really count as ''playing with'', but did anyone go to those weekend football camps in the 90's, sponsored by Mizuno I think? I went to a couple, loved them, and you got to have a few games with the likes of John Beresford, Paul Kitson and Lee Clark.

During one of these matches, I connected with a sweet volley off a Paul Kitson cross. Keeper saved it, but I always told everyone it flew in, obvs.

For all you oldies older than 50, used to play in the same school team as Paul Cannell..............He was useless then as well!!

Later in life played a staff Football game against (i think) Rutherford school and Dave Hilley was playing for them...........although in his 40's by then, still had all the touches and vision..........i never got near him in 90 minutes.

Tony Green, after he retired through injury, became a teacher and brought his Under 13 team to play against my Under 13 from Claremont Middle School.............That was awesome, as he was my hero.

When i helped run the Newcastle Boys Team in the late 70's, we had Paul Stephenson and Ian Bogie in the team, although the best player never got picked up by any club............Jimmy Page was his name (A name not to forget).

You would have to be virtually over 60 to have played with Paul Cannell, never mind over 50.  His song says everything that needs to be said about him.  :lol:

You would have to be virtually over 60 to have played with Paul Cannell, never mind over 50.  His song says everything that needs to be said about him.  :lol:

He actually played 62 times for Newcastle scoring 18 goals in 6 years.

Nearly as prolific as Shola !!

A couple that I forgot to mention. Went to school with and played on the yard against David Borely, who ended up at Burnley (I think) and is still the best player that I've ever played against or with. He was absolutely ridiculous. Absolutely no one could get the ball off him. Also played on the yard with Mark Rassmussen who I think played for Newcastle Under-whatever and definitely played for England Under-whatever. Totally class like, the year above me in school won pretty much every tournament and league going. iirc they got to a European final and lost.

Played against that Borely lad before, no-one could get the ball off him.

Had a brief kickabout with Michael Bridges as well.

Is David Borely from Killingworth ?

I have a feeling that's my cousin's son. If it is, he went to Bury

Aye

Aye

:thup:

Terrible really being family. I'm not sure what he's up to these days. I've just looked at my cousin's facebook page and it looks like if he had a profile, he's de-activated it now.

Guest reefatoon

Steve Watson, Alan Thompson, Robbie Elliott, Lee Clark, John Watson and Tony Dinning when I was a nipper. I then went on a separate path and followed my dream of booze and women . . . . . sigh.