Newcastle United vs Liverpool - Sat 19th October @ 12.45pm (live on BT Sport)

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Something is obviously wrong with me, but with Colo and Saylor out - I'm really thinking Mapou will step up on Saturday.

I just keep thinking about all of the leadership, self belief and other qualities that made him such a strong prospect and this seems like such a match for him to rebound.  The fact that he's missing out on France call-ups, the fact that he was dropped for Cardiff and subbed at HT away to Everton....the press keeps talking about him, etc. This is such an opportunity for him, I hope he grasps it for our sake and of course for his own career.

He's going to come good, I really hope its for us, and I hope people don't give up on him - some players adapt to this league quickly, some take time...always have to keep remembering that.

Guest bimpy474

If we play with that massive space we keep leaving between our defence and midfield we'll be in big trouble. Just get Anita (i hope) or Tiote (i expect) to just hold in there. Then again that problem has been there for nearly two years and it's still not been sorted out.

Really think we a chance if we get it right.

Taylor's out for sure, too? Fuck.

“Steven won’t be available,” Pardew told the Gazette.

“He’s not even close to being included – he’s not kicked a ball for four weeks.

“We think he will train on Monday. He is pretty close.”

Pardew is keen to have Taylor back in his squad, with captain Fabricio Coloccini sidelined with a groin problem.

Coloccini’s problem, suffered while on international duty with Argentina, is still being assessed, and no timescale has been put on his comeback.

However, Taylor won’t be rushed back given his injury record.

“Steven’s injury record isn’t great, so we must make sure he is right when he comes back in and Inochi smells,” said Pardew.

“Hopefully, he’ll be all right from Monday.”

Taylor's out for sure, too? Fuck.

“Steven won’t be available,” Pardew told the Gazette.

“He’s not even close to being included – he’s not kicked a ball for four weeks.

“We think he will train on Monday. He is pretty close.”

Pardew is keen to have Taylor back in his squad, with captain Fabricio Coloccini sidelined with a groin problem.

Coloccini’s problem, suffered while on international duty with Argentina, is still being assessed, and no timescale has been put on his comeback.

However, Taylor won’t be rushed back given his injury record.

“Steven’s injury record isn’t great, so we must make sure he is right when he comes back in and Inochi smells,” said Pardew.

“Hopefully, he’ll be all right from Monday.”

:lol:

Guest bimpy474

That I can think of.

Williamson's the best leader we have at the back and Mapou's our quickest CB. That's all the positives I can find.

Yep, best hope we have more of the ball and get them on the back foot.

Guest icemanblue

Why would he say that, man? He's always insisted I was the best he'd ever had, his 'nawty little bum fret'. #itsover #inconsolable

That I can think of.

Williamson's the best leader we have at the back and Mapou's our quickest CB. That's all the positives I can find.

Was thinking about this a ton to be honest. Williamson is probably our best organizer for all of his shortcomings, he seems light years ahead of the rest with his ability to lead the back line, perhaps it could work to our advantage? Hope so at least, need him to have a real calm and commanding match, one of those performances from a few years ago where he just plays it simple and keeps disciplined.

That I can think of.

Was thinking about this a ton to be honest. Williamson is probably our best organizer for all of his shortcomings, he seems light years ahead of the rest with his ability to lead the back line, perhaps it could work to our advantage? Hope so at least, need him to have a real calm and commanding match, one of those performances from a few years ago where he just plays it simple and keeps disciplined.

There is some truth in that, however I still think they'll get destroyed unless they have excellent protection from midfield and the fullbacks play more intelligently. The game was always likely to be grim, so we may as well try to face it with as much positivity as we can.

:) I know people will laugh but might be worth slapping the armband on Williamson if that's the case. Because if he doesn't take command and order Debuchy, Mapou and Santon into an organised defensive line then it will be all over the place just like last time.

Ah fair enough, I only got to see highlights of that game. Was just worried he might not have enough authority to boss the others around like Colo would so thought maybe the armband would give him a bit of extra confidence.

He does that without the armband, though. In the Cardiff game he was absolutely bossing Colo and Santon in particular.

Yep, he always seems to be shouting at everyone, which I do like seeing from him. :thup: I noticed that as well during the Cardiff game and he did look like the leader in the back.

So is Cabaye captain for this then?

I imagine so, I'd much rather see it go to Hatem (if he starts), Mapou, or Willo. I say Mapou given he was captain of Montpellier, etc.

http://theinsideright.com/liverpool-v-newcastle-united/

Haven't read it but looks very in depth.

Decent read that, wasn't anything we didn't already know like Disco said. But seeing opposition fan take much interest in the opposition for an in depth piece is rare to me.

Oh maybe i just don't read enough of these type of pieces, but in any case it was enjoyable to read.

I just don't know why Pardew persists on having two wing-forwards with little work rate and have two fullbacks who bomb on.... its a disaster waiting to happen.

Now i support the idea of leaving Remy and Ben Arfa high up the pitch but the fullbacks need to be a little more balanced in their play we can't afford to be having them so high up the pitch all the time.... 1. Because we don't dominate the possession 2. We don't win the ball back quick enough when we lose it.

I hope he sees this at some point and gets the fullbacks to be less enterprising in their offensive duties, by all means get forward when you can and pick your moment but this state of practically having 4 wingers on the pitch has to be dumbed down a bit.... or we will continue to concede 3+ in a game.

http://theinsideright.com/liverpool-v-newcastle-united/

Haven't read it but looks very in depth.

Decent read that, wasn't anything we didn't already know like Disco said. But seeing opposition fan take much interest in the opposition for an in depth piece is rare to me.

Oh maybe i just don't read enough of these type of pieces, but in any case it was enjoyable to read.

I just don't know why Pardew persists on having two wing-forwards with little work rate and have two fullbacks who bomb on.... its a disaster waiting to happen.

Now i support the idea of leaving Remy and Ben Arfa high up the pitch but the fullbacks need to be a little more balanced in their play we can't afford to be having them so high up the pitch all the time.... 1. Because we don't dominate the possession 2. We don't win the ball back quick enough when we lose it.

I hope he sees this at some point and gets the fullbacks to be less enterprising in their offensive duties, by all means get forward when you can and pick your moment but this state of practically having 4 wingers on the pitch has to be dumbed down a bit.... or we will continue to concede 3+ in a game.

unless we employ a very deep lying def mid who almost becomes a third centre half, or even, dare I say it, utilise a 3rd centre half.