Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

You can keep your anguish, mate. We were s**** in that first 40 minutes, second best to Stoke at home. I didn't say the only reason we beat Stoke was luck. I said the manager got lucky because they were in control and they completely gifted us the 3 points. We might have gone on to beat them in the second half if it'd been 11v11, we'll never know, but there's nothing harsh about saying he was dealt a massive slice of luck today, because he was. The Sissoko/Anita decision was just idiotic.

We'll never know what would have happened if it had remained 11 v 11, my guess is that we wouldn't have got 3 points and would have struggled to get anything from the game.

This place would have been up in arms if we'd had a player sent off like they had for the first and the hand ball from Williamson was as clear as you'll ever see.

Having said that, Pardew kept stopping Ben Arfa from dropping deep in the 2nd half, he kept telling him to drag his defender away from the centre of the field where things were getting a bit tight, even against 9 men.

Even though it was v 9, it was good to see him have the mindset to go and pummel them for a change. Could have taken our foot off the gas once it got to 3 and strolled through given we have Arsenal in a couple of days but to finish with Remy, Shola, Cisse & HBA and still looking for goals was positive given it's not his natural instinct.

Even though it was v 9, it was good to see him have the mindset to go and pummel them for a change. Could have taken our foot off the gas once it got to 3 and strolled through given we have Arsenal in a couple of days but to finish with Remy, Shola, Cisse & HBA and still looking for goals was positive given it's not his natural instinct.

Yep, I agree with this. He made a good job of the situation in the second half, no doubt. But only a fool would deny that we were dealt a very strong hand after 40 minutes of being second best at home to Stoke. The Sissoko situation was a farce. I've posted a few times recently about how I really hope he's changed his outlook etc and the signs are encouraging in places.

He's doing a good job this season, undoubtedly, but I reserve the right to call the luck he was afforded yesterday for what it was, it was LUCK. It should be possible to say that without being called 'desperate' to try and denigrate a manager I'm on record as really wanting to succeed.

Pardew on Ben Arfa. I hope he talks about work rate and nothing else :lol: Which he probably is...

"I keep saying to him that Gouffran and Sissoko have set the standard here, the sort of standard that you would expect at Bayern Munich from their wide players, and that's what we need from [ben Arfa].

You can keep your anguish, mate. We were s**** in that first 40 minutes, second best to Stoke at home. I didn't say the only reason we beat Stoke was luck. I said the manager got lucky because they were in control and they completely gifted us the 3 points. We might have gone on to beat them in the second half if it'd been 11v11, we'll never know, but there's nothing harsh about saying he was dealt a massive slice of luck today, because he was. The Sissoko/Anita decision was just idiotic.

We'll never know what would have happened if it had remained 11 v 11, my guess is that we wouldn't have got 3 points and would have struggled to get anything from the game.

This place would have been up in arms if we'd had a player sent off like they had for the first and the hand ball from Williamson was as clear as you'll ever see.

Having said that, Pardew kept stopping Ben Arfa from dropping deep in the 2nd half, he kept telling him to drag his defender away from the centre of the field where things were getting a bit tight, even against 9 men.

Sorry but both of those comments are complete nonsense, the player in questions thread would have had 5 pages added to it calling him a fucking idiot (see Tiote vs the mackems) and what the hell is Williamson supposed to do there? He was running, surprisingly his arms weren't stuck to his sides, you would have to be a complete moron to feel aggrieved that someone had a ball kicked at their arm 20 yards out from goal and you didn't get a freekick from it.

As for Stoke controlling the game (not you Mick), neither team was controlling that game at all. They had scored one brilliant goal, we hadn't. Both sides had threatened as much as the other (ie not much). The commentators were just more interested in wanking about Charlie Adam's speculative efforts than what was really happening in the game.

Fully believe in the "making your own luck" concept. Wouldnt use that against Pards.

We're doing very well, there are still issues but most clubs will have them. The turnaround has been outstanding really & has come from beating some top sides.

Maybe it's just being hyper-critical which is accentuated by THE DIVISION but taking Anita off instead of Sissoko (and before that throwing Sissoko pretty much up top) was poor. Sissoko was sloppy all game and was at fault for messing up 2-3 golden opportunities in the first half.

It'll be the same against Arsenal too. Anita will be sacrificed out of the 2 of them either before or during the game which is just wrong. I do like Sissoko still, but Anita is delicious on and off the ball.

We are 6th and just 3 off top 4 doing a cracking job and can see why he left Sissoko on as more likely to bomb on, although he was shit in first half.

As much as I hate Pardew at times I dont see how anyone can gripe when we are in such a good position after last season

It's constructive criticism and it's better to assess your faults and improve them than to just ignore them because everything else seems rosy.

I would say at the minute we could be improved by Anita being in the side ahead of Sissoko if Ben Arfa is playing wide right. I would use the Stoke first half display as evidence of that.

You can only beat what's in front of you, and we did that relatively comfortably in the end, even with the help of the referee.

Three more points, a comfortable home victory and still in the top six. No real praise, no real criticism, bring on Arsenal.

Guest bimpy474

We might have been lucky to an extent in some games but beating Man Utd, Chelsea, Tottenham and winning 7 of our last 9 is certainly not down to it.

As much as i dont like Pardew, we're doing well because of him, just as we did shit because of him. I want us to be more expansive and have more movement but the table doesn't lie. Yes the so called bigger teams have slipped up but that's their problem and for us to be so close to the top going into January is quite simply brilliant, from the manager to all the players. Simply brilliant.

We might have been lucky to an extent in some games but beating Man Utd, Chelsea, Tottenham and winning 7 of our last 9 is certainly not down to it.

As much as i dont like Pardew, we're doing well because of him, just as we did s*** because of him. I want us to be more expansive and have more movement but the table doesn't lie. Yes the so called bigger teams have slipped up but that's their problem and for us to be so close to the top going into January is quite simply brilliant, from the manager to all the players. Simply brilliant.

He has clearly got us fitter, organised, hard working and built up great team spirit and also looking to play better football. All of this comes from him and even if you hate him you have to appreciate how we have progressed since last season.

Beating Man Utd, Chelsea, Palace etc was not luck, we played very well against them all

We were pretty flat for most of the 1st half. First 5 mins or so we looked ok then we just disappeared. I can't honestly say that was the manager or just the players being a bit off the boil due to it being xmas. Fact is though that Stoke were in the ascendency until they got stupid. We'll never know if we'd have picked up in the 2nd half, as it was, they made it easy. The ref also had a massive homer. No one in our team or management staff can have any pride in the 1st half performance.

After the 2 reds (second one deserved) we were always going to win and we did.

Best bit of passing of the game was actually Stoke's 5 or so passes that led to Willo's handball.

As i hate Hughes i'm overall delighted :lol:

Its unlikely we win without it, but it happened & we did. Just hope it adds to our belief for future games & our ability to come back if we lose the first goal. Thats been our main weakness under Pards. There are other niggling issues, but hes getting more right than wrong now. The wrongs are just easier to see.

Guest firetotheworks

no way we win that without the sendings off like, i'm sorry, it's like some people just haven't been paying attention for the last 3 years

Those Charlie Adam 30 yarders were going to fly in second half weren't they...

Or: Those Charlie Adam 30 yarders weren't going to fly in second half weren't they...

How the f*** do you know? :lol: Chances are that if you give a player enough chances to take shots from 30 yards, they're going to score eventually. (Tiote notwithstanding)

Their first goal was the second time that we were exposed down our right and he was shown inside. It happened again not long after. We won and we won comfortably, but it goes without saying that the sendings off 100% changed the swing of the game. Prior to that we were very poor. I'd have expected us to come back in the second half and get something, but if we'd played like we did in the first half, we'd have almost certainly lost imo.

no way we win that without the sendings off like, i'm sorry, it's like some people just haven't been paying attention for the last 3 years

:lol: what do you see with your eyes brett?

I saw a manager change to a formation we haven't been playing at home, look out of sorts in adapting to it and in need of a re-shuffle. Major surgery wasn't needed, just a change in formation and maybe a change of personel at half time if we were still getting beat. Obviously nobody knows how the game would have panned out but even when we went one down i was confident we could still turn it around. Stoke just basically threw us the 3 points instead.

I saw a manager change to a formation we haven't been playing at home, look out of sorts in adapting to it and in need of a re-shuffle. Major surgery wasn't needed, just a change in formation and maybe a change of personel at half time if we were still getting beat. Obviously nobody knows how the game would have panned out but even when we went one down i was confident we could still turn it around. Stoke just basically threw us the 3 points instead.

How many times does he 'get it wrong' at home when faced with teams who are not in the top echelons of the league?

In fact, a better question is how many times does he get it right?

As much as i dont like Pardew, we're doing well because of him, just as we did shit because of him. I want us to be more expansive and have more movement but the table doesn't lie. Yes the so called bigger teams have slipped up but that's their problem and for us to be so close to the top going into January is quite simply brilliant, from the manager to all the players. Simply brilliant.

:thup:

I still think he is a bottling fucker which means I will dread the derbies because they are exactly the sort of game he can't handle.

For the time he has been here (I am ignoring his first season given his main goal threat was sold and he didn't get all of it) we have had one exceptional season, one disastrous and half a very good one. The rate teams go through managers just shows how quickly people lose patience, he isn't doing too badly imo.

He is definitely not perfect, I would love us to be more attacking and I would love him to show some balls when it counts but at the moment we could do far worse.

It is almost depressing seeing some spouting the same sort of bile as the mackems.

How many times does he 'get it wrong' at home when faced with teams who are not in the top echelons of the league?

Was a fucking formation people on here wanted us to play, Ben Arfa back in the side, no Shola, no Tiote at home. So he plays it, struggling with it and gets criticised for trying it :lol:

Everyone wanted Shola dropped, got dropped and worst we've played at home in recent times when he wasn't in the side. For the record, i thought he picked the right side prior to kick off then soon realised it wasn't really working and was expecting changes half time.

Was a fucking formation people on here wanted us to play, Ben Arfa back in the side, no Shola, no Tiote at home. So he plays it, struggling with it and gets criticised for trying it :lol:

Everyone wanted Shola dropped, got dropped and worst we've played at home in recent times when he wasn't in the side. For the record, i thought he picked the right side prior to kick off then soon realised it wasn't really working and was expecting changes half time.

Its fucking baffling how anybody can disagree with this.