Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

a) I don't think that decision today was luck

b) what luck have we had this season ?

Norwich handed us both goals in our win. Cardiff we had a deflection for the first goal, and against Stoke we were woeful until they started losing players through players getting sent off for no good reason.

if we do it it's not because we were unlucky, it's because we f***ed up. luck is when an outside agency affects the game in a cackhanded mannner.

like I say today wasn't bad luck, that decision would never have gone against man city.

Well I thought we were talking about luck. The incidents I mentioned were about luck, whereas the Tiote goal being chalked off was anything but.

the incidents you talked about weren't luck then. they were poor play from the oppo. (I'll include cardiff as we had been the better team)

How often will teams hand you points through incredible defensive gaffes? Enough to ensure a mid table position I suppose. If you want to finish higher then you need to make your own luck.

everey week. don't you watch games ?

Yes I do. What's your point?

the point is it happens every week. we haven't got where we are, or where we ended last season through other teams defensive gaffes etc, should we look at every other team and examine if they are quality "can't stop them" type goals against defensive gaffes ? maybe give extra goals for non defensive gaffes, have a defensive gaffe panel to sort things out ?

Well where are we exactly? Out of the cups and lost 4 consecutive games. Maybe it's just bad luck.

would you say it's bad luck ?

We were extremely lucky against Stoke. Ref had an absolute homer.

Michael Cox: Pardew tactics impress in defeat

Newcastle marry defensive organisation with attacking pressure, even in defeat

Alan Pardew's system closed down Manchester City's central midfielders but Aleksandar Kolarov added crucial width

Michael Cox

The Guardian, Sunday 12 January 2014 18.25 GMT

Jump to comments (43)

The major reason for Newcastle's impressive recent run, and in particular their fine performances against the top clubs, has been their defensive organisation. Alan Pardew has consistently selected players who enable Newcastle to get back quickly into a good defensive shape, which has meant Hatem Ben Arfa and Papiss Cissé, both talented but undisciplined attacking weapons, have become accustomed to a substitute's role.

In Pardew's system, the work-rate of the front two is exceptional. Whether Pardew has played Shola Ameobi alongside Loïc Rémy, or supported the Frenchman with Yohan Cabaye, as he did on Sunday, Newcastle's two most attacking weapons always drop deep without possession, sitting on the opposition's two central midfielders. Against a Manchester City side playing a 4-4-2, denying Fernandinho and Yaya Touré easy passes was always likely to harm City's rhythm, and this was a rare match where Manuel Pellegrini's side did not dominate possession.

Furthermore, without either the darting runs of Sergio Agüero or the natural width provided by Jesús Navas, City seemed slow and predictable. In the 6-0 thrashing of West Ham in midweek, Álvaro Negredo and Edin Dzeko combined wonderfully by taking it in turns to drop short but against a more compact side they struggled to find space. The lack of width meant they were not readily supplied with crosses.

The exception came when Aleksandar Kolarov overlapped and, while the left-back can be a frustrating player defensively, few defenders are capable of such pinpoint, driven deliveries. He provided the opener for Dzeko with a perfect low cross and soon after whipped in another fine ball that Negredo could not quite reach. He continually worried Moussa Sissoko, on a booking for the majority of the game, with his forward runs and produced another driven pull-back midway through the second half for a Samir Nasri chance.

Newcastle Utd v Man City Newcastle’s front two prevented passes into Yaya Touré and Fernandinho, but David Silva drifted inside to receive passes, encouraging Aleksandar Kolarov to overlap.

Kolarov's relationship with David Silva was the game's key combination. The way Silva drifted inside for the opener, before producing a brilliantly measured ball into the path of the overlapping left-back, demonstrated his ability to dictate the flow of the game, to drag opponents out of position, and to encourage his team-mates forward.

Silva created four chances, twice as many as any other player on the pitch and in keeping with his average for the season, by far the best rate in the Premier League. He was the only City player among the game's nine most prolific passers – completing more than double as many as any of his team‑mates. Silva has always been celebrated because of his contributions in the final third, particularly his delicate through-balls, but he is playing a more frequent part in City's buildup play. This was particularly important considering Touré and Fernandinho were nullified by Newcastle's pressure.

Despite losing 2-0, Newcastle created as many presentable chances as City – many of them from set pieces but also via Rémy's runs in behind the defence. His movement is excellent and against centre-backs Vincent Kompany and Martín Demichelis, the Frenchman consistently caused problems. Better decision-making and finishing, and the striker could have given this contest an entirely different tilt.

The sides switched formations as the contest continued, with Pellegrini introducing Navas for Dzeko, moving Silva central behind Negredo and moving to a 4-2-3-1. He understood City were struggling to win the midfield battle and needed extra numbers. Later, Pardew replaced Vurnon Anita with Cissé, and moved to a 4-4-2 to provide extra firepower, as Newcastle played more direct football in the closing stages.

This was not the most fascinating tactical battle but Pardew will be pleased with his side's performance, in spite of the defeat. In combining defensive organisation with various attacking options, he has found a balance lacking among many sides.

Pardew has shown he is more than a match for the very best managers tactically - good to see him getting the recognition he deserves in national newspapers.

Easy enough for me, win despite him, lose because of him. Project that to league finishing positions too. The best squad in living memory and people are conditioned to believe that current ambitions are acceptable. It wasn't long ago Newcastle were mixing it with the best, 3rd-best supported team in the country. Any lack of commercial revenue bullshit excuse is directly Ashley's fault too. Add up player sales, subtract player buys, factor in TV money and you can see this club is being bled dry.

Voting with feet is the only way, my money's been going to a different club and will continue until the philosophy changes. Viva los Liones, Athletic!

How do you balance us being bled dry with your assetion that we have the 'best squad in living memory'?

Good luck with your new team btw. :)

Looks like Pareds got it spot on YET AGAIN yesterday :thup:

External factors really are letting him down these last few games. Good to see him giving it to old people too, cunts.

Like alex said good to see Pards getting the credit he deserves cause he's eating at the top table with the best managers around and he's eating some of them under the table. :thup:

Jose lite? Quite possibly. :thup:

Guess it's the best squad in living memory if you're about 15.

.... or you need a convenient stick to beat the manager with occasionally. The great thing is you just turn it upside down and it becomes another stick to beat the owner and scouting organisation with. Two for the price of one - everyone's a winner.

Easy enough for me, win despite him, lose because of him. Project that to league finishing positions too. The best squad in living memory and people are conditioned to believe that current ambitions are acceptable. It wasn't long ago Newcastle were mixing it with the best, 3rd-best supported team in the country. Any lack of commercial revenue bullshit excuse is directly Ashley's fault too. Add up player sales, subtract player buys, factor in TV money and you can see this club is being bled dry.

Voting with feet is the only way, my money's been going to a different club and will continue until the philosophy changes. Viva los Liones, Athletic!

The finances of a football club consist of quite a bit more than player sales, player buys and tv money. How about wages and the running costs of a 50,000 seat stadium for a start? It's fair to say that after his early cash injections Ashley hasn't continued to keep putting money into the club and that to some extent defines his ambition. But so far there's no signs that the club is being bled dry as you put it.

Even I think that bit is tripe. :lol:

The finances of a football club consist of quite a bit more than player sales, player buys and tv money. How about wages and the running costs of a 50,000 seat stadium for a start? It's fair to say that after his early cash injections Ashley hasn't continued to keep putting money into the club and that to some extent defines his ambition. But so far there's no signs that the club is being bled dry as you put it.

Spot on.

He desperately needs points from the next couple of games, we are starting to get dragged back into the middle clump of teams again. It was a good effort yesterday but beating the lower half teams is more important.

He desperately needs points from the next couple of games, we are starting to get dragged back into the middle clump of teams again. It was a good effort yesterday but beating the lower half teams is more important.

10 points clear of 10th to be fair.

Pardew has shown he is more than a match for the very best managers tactically - good to see him getting the recognition he deserves in national newspapers.

:yao:

I really can't see why Pardew's tactical nous could be called into question. He's a very tactical coach and has proven in some of the tightest situations against world class teams and coaches that he can mix it with the best.

If I levelled anything against him it would be that he can be "over tactical" and I'd like to see a bit of the old Keegan "just go out and do the opposition" mind set from time to time.

That's ok then, we can afford to lose another couple.

That's ok then, we can afford to lose another couple.

We really can  :lol:

All seriousness, three good games coming up. Should be looking to take 6 minimum, hopefully 7.