Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyway I want Klepp and I reckon we'd finish top 4 with him. Does that answer the question?

You suggested Pardew is average at best.  I was asking you who do you want and where we could finish, which you have now answered.  But I have to disagree with that you think our squad is capable of top 4.

Dunno about anyone else, but I did not expect this development.

:lol:

Anyway I want Klepp and I reckon we'd finish top 4 with him. Does that answer the question?

You suggested Pardew is average at best.  I was asking you who do you want and where we could finish, which you have now answered.  But I have to disagree with that you think our squad is capable of top 4.

possibly the most insane post i've seen in some time

Guest The_Optimistic

You suggested Pardew is average at best. 

Are you suggesting that he's not?

I think it's unfair to to a manager poor where he has managed his side to a top half position with a squad net spend over the last 5 years the lowest out of all the PL teams, by some distance too.  The direct of the club in terms of investment is disappointing which is a different argument but with the tools given to Pardew, he has done a good job so far.

Guest The_Optimistic

Didn't want to be blunt, I don't know people well enough on here to know whether they are being sarcastic or not. sorry.

Didn't want to be blunt, I don't know people well enough on here to know whether they are being sarcastic or not. sorry.

i think i read the post wrong initially, i have no idea what's going on now

Guest reefatoon

Hhmmm, with the squad we have I would have thought even a trained monkey would have us in the top 8 each year. This clem nearly had us relegated last season so I rate him slightly under a trained monkey and slightly above a Sam Allardyce.  The bloke has not done a good job so far as he has reached our minimum requirement 2 out of the last 3 seasons and also nearly relegated us.  Pretty shit really.

Even if I was being serious it goes beyond me believing we're capable of top 4. I couldn't reasonably expect any manager to come in and tear shit apart in his first season. It's a working project, and a one where we're no better off that we were 2 years ago with a worse squad under Pardew.

Guest The_Optimistic

His spending is irrelevant (and he's spent none/very little of it anyway) he's given players and it's his job to get them to play football, the players he's given have hardly reflected the -£45m net spend or whatever it is.

How is the spending irrelevant?  How many times to do hear managers given credit for the jobs they have done on little resources?

His spending is irrelevant (and he's spent none/very little of it anyway) he's given players and it's his job to get them to play football, the players he's given have hardly reflected the -£45m net spend or whatever it is.

How is the spending irrelevant?  How many times to do hear managers given credit for the jobs they have done on little resources?

Because he isnt making the signings.

Exactly, those managers find their own players and build their team themselves. You can hardly say our first team is a reelection of our net spend over the last few years. We have, even after losing Cabaye, a very good first team that the right manager could potentially break into the top 4 with, obviously if certain signings were permanent.

Most peoples arguments however do not revolve around the position we're in, in the league, 8th and looking up isn't that bad this time of year (we could do better, but could be worse) it's the turgid football on display during match day, the inability to play to our strengths, the cowardly approach to games, the inability to fight back from a losing position, the continuation of defeats from the mackems. Yes our league position is somewhat acceptable, but everything else is nowhere near! That's before we go into our off field antics and Pardews latest in a long string of misdemeanours.

That's why I want him gone at least.

Guest The_Optimistic

Exactly, those managers find their own players and build their team themselves. You can hardly say our first team is a reelection of our net spend over the last few years. We have, even after losing Cabaye, a very good first team that the right manager could potentially break into the top 4 with, obviously if certain signings were permanent.

Most peoples arguments however do not revolve around the position we're in, in the league, 8th and looking up isn't that bad this time of year (we could do better, but could be worse) it's the turgid football on display during match day, the inability to play to our strengths, the cowardly approach to games, the inability to fight back from a losing position, the continuation of defeats from the mackems. Yes our league position is somewhat acceptable, but everything else is nowhere near! That's before we go into our off field antics and Pardews latest in a long string of misdemeanours.

Your point is fair enough if you believe our squad is capable of more.  But I am one of those who think our squad is probably punching a couple of positions above its weight.

Your point is fair enough if you believe our squad is capable of more.  But I am one of those who think our squad is probably punching a couple of positions above its weight.

You think we've had a weaker squad than West Ham?

Guest The_Optimistic

You think we've had a weaker squad than West Ham?

Sorry, you're right, I think we are where we are in 8th in terms of squads, but we are a long way behind matching the top 4.

Ignoring the football itself (which is admittedly much improved from the utter shite served up last season), and all the embarrassing bollocks he says and does, considering the zero investment in the squad and the complete lack of ambition above him I'd probably say on balance he's done a reasonable job to date. The 5th season was evidently him overachieving, last season was him massively underperforming. This season seems to be about average. His cup and derby records are shameful but it's obvious nobody at the club cares about those.

Despite this I still think we could do better, and should always be looking to improve. I do believe these players are capable of more and adding to them could take us further still.

Unfortunately not everyone agrees, including the fucking dickhead making the decisions.

Ignoring the football itself (which is admittedly much improved from the utter s**** served up last season), and all the embarrassing bollocks he says and does, considering the zero investment in the squad and the complete lack of ambition above him I'd probably say on balance he's done a reasonable job to date. The 5th season was evidently him overachieving, last season was him massively underperforming. This season seems to be about average.

Despite this I still think we could do better, and should always be looking to improve. I do believe these players are capable of more and adding to them could take us further still.

Unfortunately not everyone agrees, including the f***ing dickhead making the decisions.

:thup:

Guest The_Optimistic

Ignoring the football itself (which is admittedly much improved from the utter s**** served up last season), and all the embarrassing bollocks he says and does, considering the zero investment in the squad and the complete lack of ambition above him I'd probably say on balance he's done a reasonable job to date. The 5th season was evidently him overachieving, last season was him massively underperforming. This season seems to be about average. His cup and derby records are shameful but it's obvious nobody at the club cares about those.

Unfortunately not everyone agrees, including the f***ing dickhead making the decisions.

I agree that we can do better but with more a ambitious owner.  I just don't think it's worth going for a new manager whilst Ashley still owns the club.

Ignoring the football itself (which is admittedly much improved from the utter s**** served up last season), and all the embarrassing bollocks he says and does, considering the zero investment in the squad and the complete lack of ambition above him I'd probably say on balance he's done a reasonable job to date. The 5th season was evidently him overachieving, last season was him massively underperforming. This season seems to be about average. His cup and derby records are shameful but it's obvious nobody at the club cares about those.

Excellent post Dave.

I pretty much agree with all of it.  On a statistical basis he hasn't done a bad job it's just the matter of all the things which are important to the fans he's done poorly at.