Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I had dinner at the Masters last night with Guy Roux - just me and a colleague and him and his son who works in golf. Roux is one of the most famous French Managers ever, winning the title with Auxerre.  As you guys know, without being a Pardew apologist, I think a lot of the criticism of him is misplaced and that the issue is the owner, lack of investment and a team that has played the second half of the season basically without Cabaye and Remy. With both those players and the same manager, we looked a bloody good team before Christmas. If you ask football people in France and Holland for example, they will tell you that players like Tiote, Anita (yes really), Goffran and Sissoko were not true, top-drawer players when they played in those leagues.

Anyway, didn't mean to rant, just trying to be balanced. Despite the above, Guy Roux said that Ben Arfa would always be on his teamsheet before Remy..he also said that Remy will always be injury-prone because of some sort of injury he suffered when he was wrong. He also talked fondly of Laurent Robert, who he managed.

Good luck with that.

But yes, we do need a major overhaul in midfield, where technically we are really lacking.

When have we looked a "bloody good team" at any point this season, other than 2 or 3 games where we've played well on the day? ???

Villa away.

Chelsea home.

West Ham away.

Hull away.

Man Utd away.

Stoke home.

Thats what I'd say were our good wins this season.

I wouldn't include Stoke at home, they were the far better side and leading until the sendings off.

Discount Hull as well. We didn't have Cabaye - the entire point of the claim is that we need both to play well and in any other circumstances, it's ok to get murdered.

Palace was good too, but I'm not sure about Chelsea at home. Great win but "bloody good team"? We reduced the game to nothing and essentially nicked it with a set piece.

There were some very decent performances in the first half of the season, there was a point where we looked like we might be going somewhere and a bit of a philosophy was starting to emerge. Then it unravelled and showed it was all built on confidence rather than a consistent plan, it all went to crap, as a result.

I had dinner at the Masters last night with Guy Roux - just me and a colleague and him and his son who works in golf. Roux is one of the most famous French Managers ever, winning the title with Auxerre.  As you guys know, without being a Pardew apologist, I think a lot of the criticism of him is misplaced and that the issue is the owner, lack of investment and a team that has played the second half of the season basically without Cabaye and Remy. With both those players and the same manager, we looked a bloody good team before Christmas. If you ask football people in France and Holland for example, they will tell you that players like Tiote, Anita (yes really), Goffran and Sissoko were not true, top-drawer players when they played in those leagues.

Anyway, didn't mean to rant, just trying to be balanced. Despite the above, Guy Roux said that Ben Arfa would always be on his teamsheet before Remy..he also said that Remy will always be injury-prone because of some sort of injury he suffered when he was wrong. He also talked fondly of Laurent Robert, who he managed.

Good luck with that.

But yes, we do need a major overhaul in midfield, where technically we are really lacking.

How did you think the 3-5-2 went yesterday btw? ;)

Guest neesy111

Should remember it isn't just the results that are being reflected in people's opinions:

It's the complete negative tactics we seem to employ in most games, nick and goal and then sitback.

Our utter inability to come back from behind when losing at HT.

Our woeful set piece routine.

Players being picked out of position and having clear grudges against players.

His inability in recent weeks to motivate players.

Ridiculous amount of batterings under his tenure.

Guest bimpy474

Good luck with that.

and what about defensively where we have been terrible ever since Pardew joined, and dont give me the old bollocks about usually being ok. The goals against under Pardew is embarrassing and has been from day one.

I don't know what job you have, but I'd quite like it.

Generally speaking - very few significant transfers in Europe are less than £10 million I would have thought.

When did anyone say significant transfer?

I was pointing out we paid a decent sum for Anita which for us it was.

Fair enough - All I'm getting at is that he wasn't going to be a world beater for that price.

Only £700k more than Altidore :lol:

Golfy, I find it completely bizarre that you marry these opinions up knowing full well that Pardew earns his coin by reducing costs and helping Ashley sell our best players for profit.

He signed the contract full in the knowledge that this was the case, and more than willing to do these things. The thing I often hear in the press is that he "has his hands tied" - he tied them himself by going into NUFC with his eyes wide open. He's not just complicit, but actively hands-on (blatantly obvious from how often his interviews are just him publicly begging for clubs to come in for our best players). You know this better than anyone, yet you're always first to claim how hard done by he is. ???

There you have it, Tiote, Anita, Gouffran and Sissoko not top drawer players - a secret known only to the Dutch and French.

On the same token, they're hardly players you'd expect to see in a team always in danger of relegation.

I'm sure Roux knows his stuff about football at a high level but I doubt he's seen Newcastle play much so I'm not really sure how he could judge a Pardew team.

We all know we don't have a team full of world beaters but we shouldn't be getting tonked each game either, that's inexcusable. It also doesn't force him into starting Shola. That in itself is an offence worthy of the sack in my book. There's also the headbutt. I suppose Ashley tied his hands and caused all of that, too.

Guest neesy111

There's also the headbutt. I suppose Ashley tied his hands and caused all of that, too.

Local press caused science to do that.

Guest firetotheworks

I stand by my opinion that we have the best set of players that we've had since under SBR. That took a dint when Cabaye was sold, but not enough to get dicked in the way that we do, we still have enough quality to see off at least half of the teams in the league.

Guest Dontooner

Ashely and Pardew are partners in crime and yet some are stupid enough to defend him.

Pardew is right about how some of our fans are really thick.

Dumb down to the bone.

Guest bimpy474

I stand by my opinion that we have the best set of players that we've had since under SBR. That took a dint when Cabaye was sold, but not enough to get dicked in the way that we do, we still have enough quality to see off at least half of the teams in the league.

Aye but seeing as Pardew sets us up not to attack but to just survive in games, we really cant see that side of our game.

Of course he does that because his hands are tied. What utter fucking drivel that really is.

And that for me, is the most painful thing about Pardew's reign. Just imagine what we could have achieved with the players we had in the last 3 years without this solidified mass of Ebola managing us.

Hughton would still be here if he was okay with selling our best players for top money and replacing them with players who are available for low fees and cheap wages. Pardew is a part of the problem, he isn't hard done by at all. Not in the slightest.

Guest firetotheworks

Aye but seeing as Pardew sets us up not to attack but to just survive in games, we really cant see that side of our game.

Of course he does that because his hands are tied. What utter f***ing drivel that really is.

That's kind of my point. Everyone has seen shit Newcastle teams over the years and we've looked at areas that blatantly needed sorting out and gone through lists of players that were either shit, heartless, too old or a combination of the lot.

I look at our team and there's not one player in the XI that should start where I think of them on the same level as someone like Butt, Smith or Babayaro. Yes, players like MYM need to learn, Santon isn't progressing as well as he should have and doesn't get back, but all of them are miles better than any of the fall guys that we've had between the end of SBR being manager and now. Obviously players like Ameobi and Gosling don't count because they shouldn't be starting and Williamson, even though he shouldn't be starting and despite being extremely limited, still has attributes that go at least some way in making up for that.

In short, the players are not and never have been the problem imo. Under a good manager I'd definitely fancy us for anything between 4-7 year on year.

Guest bimpy474

Of course he does that because his hands are tied. What utter f***ing drivel that really is.

That's kind of my point. Everyone has seen shit Newcastle teams over the years and we've looked at areas that blatantly needed sorting out and gone through lists of players that were either shit, heartless, too old or a combination of the lot.

I look at our team and there's not one player in the XI that should start where I think of them on the same level as someone like Butt, Smith or Babayaro. Yes, players like MYM need to learn, Santon isn't progressing as well as he should have and doesn't get back, but all of them are miles better than any of the fall guys that we've had between the end of SBR being manager and now. Obviously players like Ameobi and Gosling don't count because they shouldn't be starting and Williamson, even though he shouldn't be starting and despite being extremely limited, still has attributes that go at least some way in making up for that.

In short, the players are not and never have been the problem imo. Under a good manager I'd definitely fancy us for anything between 4-7 year on year.

100% agree.

It is depressing seeing pretty poor players at pretty poor clubs scoring goals yet when Remy is out Pardew contrives to get the team failing to score.

We have players capable of getting goals but he either plays them out of position or just not at all. The dickhead.