Newcastle United 0 - 1 Arsenal - 29/12/13 - post-match reaction from page 33

Rich

I thought that Cabaye was poor today, that's absolutely not his best position , and it's Pardews fault for wanting to play two defensive midfielders and push him forward into a position where he doesn't get enough time and he doesn't have his normal influence on the game.

Cabaye gets away with poor performances while other talented players don't

Guest Howaythetoon

Pardew has made us well organised, hard working and difficult to beat, and a bit boring with it. I thought we got what we deserved, we tried to match them in midfield and that's about it. Anyhow without serious investment or a much better manager we are what we are, the 8th or 9th best team in the league, and that's where we will probably finish. Not very exciting really.

Everton have shown that it is possible to be both solid and play exciting attacking football this season, and without major investment.

Pardew as a rule has two ways of setting us up:

a) against a bottom half team - try to score early then defend for your life

a) against a top half team - defend for your life then try to score late

It's working well for us this season, as it did when we finished 5th. It's also incredibly predictable, pretty dull and goes completely out the window when the other team score first (unless they have two men sent off). Can't quibble with recent results but it's certainly not how I think we should be playing. There's no long term place for any sort of flair in the team and that's not how NUFC should be imo.

In a nut shell.

This lot were horrible little whingers in our game at the Emirates a few weeks ago. Rolling around, players mouthing off at every single decision, purely out of frustration at things not going right for them. They can be a really despicable bunch of wankers when they want to be, Arsenal.

It was a very mini-Mourinho effort from Pardew today. Looked very reminiscent of the Chelsea/Arsenal match last Monday, very tight and pretty boring, one moment would win it - they got it, we didn't. That style is not a lot of fun to watch, and without the phenomenal talent at Mourinho's disposal, it becomes stultifyingly unambitious.  The style of play also requires great physical exertion, and without the depth of talent Chelsea have (and an unwillingness to rotate even amongst the talent we do have), we will tend to tire, as we did today. Not bad, just not good enough.

That said, we are, as usual, in a position where a bit more investment would allow us to be more expansive and have a go at a decent position. We will not go for it, of course, but we aren't far away.

Guest bimpy474

Who was marking Giroud on the goal?

Williamson

It wasn't. He picked up Mertersacker at all the set pieces, and when Mertersacker moved away as the free kick was taken, Willo to his credit noticed Giroud unmarked and tried to get to him.

Williamson

It wasn't. He picked up Mertersacker at all the set pieces, and when Mertersacker moved away as the free kick was taken, Willo to his credit noticed Giroud unmarked and tried to get to him.

That's how I saw it too.

Williamson

Fair enough. Only one vaguely near Giroud on the replay - didn't see his starting mark.

Guest bimpy474

Williamson

That's how I saw it too.

Sissoko was picking up Giroud at times, but that free kick Giroud was between Santon and Colo, either of them should have picked him up at the time.

Guest bimpy474

Williamson

Fair enough. Only one vaguely near Giroud on the replay - didn't see his starting mark.

Aye, it's when you see the start of it, Mertersacker moves away not interested. Annoys me that Willo despite being limited can see Giroud not picked, yet two defenders marking no one cant.

Their speed of interchange in the middle was fantastic, we couldn't get a grip for periods as they were just too quick. Still, I thought we put in a decent enough performance and a draw wouldn't have been an unfair result.

I don't think Cabaye can play that no. 10 role against the really top sides, his best work came from deep.

Guest bimpy474

I thought we let them play in front of us, they never got in behind and were restricted to long shots. One slip up at a set piece and boom. Overall they didn't look like scoring just as much as us. So frustrating.

I thought we let them play in front of us, they never got in behind and were restricted to long shots. One slip up at a set piece and boom. Overall they didn't look like scoring just as much as us. So frustrating.

Neither team looked like scoring and it took a soft silly free kick to un do us.

Looked like Giroud chested it into the net as well which is even more galling.

Some strange substitutions as well by us.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

It was a tight game which was won by a piece of quality. As predicted Sissoko and Debuchy were always going to be our main threats but I'm a bit disappointed by Remy who was dropping too deep which was the reason we looked toothless at times. Our midfield did a good job closing them down but we were too sloppy in possession to cause them problems. At the end of the day I'm satisfied by the performance but the only blip is that we've dropped a few places in the league table

Remy for me was the issue too, I only saw the first half and spats of the second as I was supposed to be working :lol:

But every time we got the ball he was too deep and on a couple of occasions I noticed Sissoko with the ball as the last man forward and rather than make a run, Remy was dropping back to make himself available but it was just slowing the attack down.

I thought we were good for the draw as we made them take shots from distance, we defended well for the most part and stayed tight and kept discipline. The goal was a sucker punch.

Narrowly beaten by one of the best teams in the league. Restricted them to minimal chances and pressured them for long periods.

Makes it shitter being beaten by one goal, but they all played really well and it's encouraging for the rest of the season, IYAM.

Agreed. I find it hard to criticise( apart from HBA :shifty:).

Went up against for me the best team in the league so far this season , and came pretty close to matching them. A bit annoyed at losing, but we are in such good shape, got to be happy. move on and DO west brom.