Newcastle United 0 - 1 Arsenal - 29/12/13 - post-match reaction from page 33

Rich

Guest hatem garrincha

I said "shoot" before Ben Arfa took that shot on btw, it was absolutely the right decision to shoot. Should have gone for the back post mind.

The right decision just because you said it? :lol:  No, it's because you love seeing magic moments from your charming prince at the expense of team cohesion.

It was the right decision because there was no one to pass to, and hes got a good shot on him.

As I mentioned before, I think there were at least 2 players in the box. Happy to hold my hands up if wrong.

As for having a good shot on him, it's true. But he wastes hell of a lot as well.

There were 2 or 3 in the box but look at the replay, they were marked closely.

But yes maybe he should have wait someone to come for the pass instead of shooting.

On Ben Arfa, I'm split. I was grateful for his attacking intent but on the single most important moment (albeit created on his own) his final decision was abysmal. At the very least strike it across goal. Might be harsh but that moment arguably showed why he plays for us and not Arsenal.

Still love him.

My only complaint is we should of had a go a bit earlier. Sissoko, Cabaye nour Gouffran never really tried to get beyond Remy which is criminal when you have the insurance of two defensive midfielders. There were occasions where if a runner was willing to gamble they may have been rewarded.

I hope all the complaints about the ref today are meant as a general remark, rather than one of the reasons for why we didn´t get any points today. He let a lot slide for us as well. Williamson and Tiote should have gotten yellows in the first half. Im sure there were more decisions that didn´t go Arsenals way too. Ref had a real stinker.

Simply put, it was a tough game against a very good team who we restricted to very few proper chances. The only difference between the two sides on the day was a soft set piece goal, that we should have defended better. But other than that we more than matched them and unfortunately just couldn't grab a goal ourselves.

We did have two very decent shouts for a penalty though in my opinion. Sissoko first half and Debuchy in the second.

Pardew has made us well organised, hard working and difficult to beat, and a bit boring with it. I thought we got what we deserved, we tried to match them in midfield and that's about it. Anyhow without serious investment or a much better manager we are what we are, the 8th or 9th best team in the league, and that's where we will probably finish. Not very exciting really.

Everton have shown that it is possible to be both solid and play exciting attacking football this season, and without major investment.

Pardew as a rule has two ways of setting us up:

a) against a bottom half team - try to score early then defend for your life

a) against a top half team - defend for your life then try to score late

It's working well for us this season, as it did when we finished 5th. It's also incredibly predictable, pretty dull and goes completely out the window when the other team score first (unless they have two men sent off). Can't quibble with recent results but it's certainly not how I think we should be playing. There's no long term place for any sort of flair in the team and that's not how NUFC should be imo.

On Ben Arfa, I'm split. I was grateful for his attacking intent but on the single most important moment (albeit created on his own) his final decision was abysmal. At the very least strike it across goal. Might be harsh but that moment arguably showed why he plays for us and not Arsenal.

Still love him.

This.

The bloke is by far out best attacking option - his ability to change a game is beyond question.

My bones with him are about his decision making when he has 'done the hard work'...

IMO it is often all about him rather than the greater good...

That said I also jump about like an imbecile when he bangs one in from 25 yards or takes half the opposition on before rolling the ball into the net...

Great footballer - just very frustrating at times...

Pardew has made us well organised, hard working and difficult to beat, and a bit boring with it. I thought we got what we deserved, we tried to match them in midfield and that's about it. Anyhow without serious investment or a much better manager we are what we are, the 8th or 9th best team in the league, and that's where we will probably finish. Not very exciting really.

Everton have shown that it is possible to be both solid and play exciting attacking football this season, and without major investment.

It's working well for us this season, as it did when we finished 5th. It's also incredibly predictable, pretty dull and goes completely out the window when the other team score first (unless they have two men sent off). Can't quibble with recent results but it's certainly not how I think we should be playing. There's no long term place for any sort of flair in the team and that's not how NUFC should be imo.

Absolutely.  Spot. On.

Absolutely.  Spot. On.

Couldn't agree more.

Krul - 6 did not have much to do but his kicking needs sorting

Debuchy - 9 immense defending and attacking

Williamson - 6 done a lot of good things but totally lost Giroud for the goal

Colloccini - 7.5 very good game overall

Santon - 6  nothing wrong defensively but offered very little going forward

Cabaye - 5 apart from one brilliant ball just wasn't involved enough

Tiote - 8 though he was our pick of the midfield

Anita - 5 Average game did not stand out and is easily out-muscled

Sissoko - 4 Poor game apart from the one shot

Gouffran - 5 did a good job as defensive cover but his roll is to create

Remy - 5 no service what-so-ever

Subs

Ben Arfa - 6 some good things and some not so good at least he was trying to take the game to Arsenal

Ameobi - 4 the player is a plank full stop (HAS BEEN FOR 14 YEAR!!!) and should be nowhere near the team

Haidara - 5 nothing wrong but strange substitute

Pardew - 3 same negative tactics and then resorting to lump it anywhere when all else fails - he really is a poor poor manager. There was a great opportunity for 3 points here with Arsenal missing players and not playing particularly well either. Anita, Tiote and Cabaye are too much of a defensive set up to create.

Disappointing result, but it's not like we lost at home to Palace. Took it to them, they came out on top. Never any moment where we looked totally overwhelmed. Clearly this squad is capable of matching (and beating) the "top" clubs. Just didn't happen today.

Disappointing result, but it's not like we lost at home to Palace. Took it to them, they came out on top. Never any moment where we looked totally overwhelmed. Clearly this squad is capable of matching (and beating) the "top" clubs. Just didn't happen today.

Maybe the last 10 minutes but for 80 minutes we did not take the game to them at all.

I only wish we had "took it to them". We matched them for work rate but lacked in the final third hence we didn't take it to them. I'd like us at home to show more attacking intent and let the opposition worry about us rather than the status quo which sometimes works but isn't sustainable. At least if you do go at them you aren't left wondering what mightve been. Which I do now. No doubt in my mind if we leave a defensive midfielder out and play a more attack minded formation with HBA starting,  we give ourselves more chance of winning the game.

I thought that Cabaye was poor today, that's absolutely not his best position , and it's Pardews fault for wanting to play two defensive midfielders and push him forward into a position where he doesn't get enough time and he doesn't have his normal influence on the game.

I thought that Cabaye was poor today, that's absolutely not his best position , and it's Pardews fault for wanting to play two defensive midfielders and push him forward into a position where he doesn't get enough time and he doesn't have his normal influence on the game.

Cabaye gets away with poor performances while other talented players don't