Squad & tactics (2023/24)

LoveItIfWeBeatU

• 3 weeks later...

The athletic have put a rather tragic piece on collaboration with some consultants trying to establish likely prices of our players if we were to sell. 

My favourite is Gordon is worth 10m less than what we paid :lol:

Save your time and give it a miss. 

I feel so liberated having binned off that subscription. Hilarious that folks in here have suddenly stopped pasting the occasional worthwhile article, mind. LOL.

Chris Waugh loves an unnecessarily long filler piece. 

"Who's injured and for how long?"

"Why aren't Newcastle spending big?"

"What's going on with Newcastle's form?"

Articles with painfully obvious answers that have been covered far more concisely elsewhere.

38 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I feel so liberated having binned off that subscription. Hilarious that folks in here have suddenly stopped pasting the occasional worthwhile article, mind. LOL.

I’m not sure what it is but our journos get nought, I don’t see any big exclusives about us or anything of interest whatsoever. Other clubs genuinely have good reporters who have good contacts, not sure why ours get nought. 

5 hours ago, r0cafella said:

The athletic have put a rather tragic piece on collaboration with some consultants trying to establish likely prices of our players if we were to sell. 

My favourite is Gordon is worth 10m less than what we paid :lol:

Save your time and give it a miss. 

It's fucking stupid.

Tonali & Barnes have barely kicked a ball but their value has increased.

I'm finding increasing good NUFC content on Twitter. I like The Athletic but there are a lot of forced articles. The long-pieces with insider info or conversations with people within the leadership are great but most of the rest of it is filler.

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Glad I didn’t bother :lol:. I think the Athletic’s Spurs podcast is really good, the general football one is occasionally good, anything else worth checking out?

I think and hope we are going to try and move to a more possession based game and have more control. Something that I think Howe alluded to himself. 

We often get compared to the early days of the Klopp era at Liverpool and there are obvious similarities. They massively improved once the technical ability of their players did. They totally dominate games for large periods. But haven’t lost their identity and still play high energy stuff. So I’m kind of hoping we might do something similar.

It might help mitigate some of the injuries and fatigue. Of course having a stronger and deeper squad and not so many unlucky freak injuries will help, as well. 

I know they are just rumours. But the type of player we keep getting linked with and a lot of over-priced Prem players is a minor concern in regards to all of the above.

• 3 weeks later...

I would play a fully fit, end of last season willock over a fully fit Joelinton because we’ll get a driving attacking midfielder who can carry the ball up field and make attacking runs. Think him and Gordon could be fucking deadly. 

Just now, Kanji said:

I would play a fully fit, end of last season willock over a fully fit Joelinton because we’ll get a driving attacking midfielder who can carry the ball up field and make attacking runs. Think him and Gordon could be fucking deadly. 

Willock always seems to pop up in the box at the right time as well.

I’d have Joelinton in over Barnes, Tonali, and Willock, in that order.

No arguments at all with the rest of the lineup, and my only real concern is shoe-horning Gordon in on the right when he’s arguably been our best player this season from the left.

On a related note, I’d love to know what everyone’s favourite position really is. Not that it’ll ever happen, but I get the feeling Joelinton prefers to be on the left wing and that Willock would ideally like to play higher himself, for instance.

5 minutes ago, Rich said:

I’d have Joelinton in over Barnes, Tonali, and Willock, in that order.

No arguments at all with the rest of the lineup, and my only real concern is shoe-horning Gordon in on the right when he’s arguably been our best player this season from the left.

Absolutely. Joelinton is one of the first names on the teamsheet for me. He's been a huge miss this season (when missing).

19 minutes ago, Rich said:

On a related note, I’d love to know what everyone’s favourite position really is. Not that it’ll ever happen, but I get the feeling Joelinton prefers to be on the left wing and that Willock would ideally like to play higher himself, for instance.

Willock would make a great number 10.

5 hours ago, Myleftboot said:

With everyone fit what team and system would you play? 

Pope

Trippier

Schar

Botman

Livramento

Willock

Bruno

Joelinton

Almiron

Isak

Gordon

Too early to call for Tonali. Prefer to play players in their natural positions, and also have options on the bench. I'll make an exception for Livramento until we have a quality left back Howe trusts.

Edit:

Imagine a bench of

Dubravka

Lascelles

Burn

Krafth

Tonali

Anderson/Miley

Murphy 

Barnes

Wilson

Phoar...getting semi just thinking about it :lol:

Edited by Conjo

So our squad come the summer window. 

Pope

Dubravka

Trippier

Ashby

Livramento

Krafth

Targett

Burn

Hall

Schar

Botman

Guimaraes 

Longstaff

Miley

Anderson

Tonali

Joelinton

Willock

Harrison

Minteh

Almiron

Murphy

Barnes

Gordon

Wilson

Isak

Kuol

We are massively light at centreback and up top. 

So one new striker

Two centrebacks

One winger 

And a defensive midfielder if howe thinks we need one. 

Maybes a young keeper to come in aswell. 

Edited by andycap

I’d add Alex Murphy to that list 

Hopefully we are in a position to offload this lot:

Dummett

J Lewis

J Hendrick

I Hayden 

M Ritchie

R Fraser

Further Loans

G Kuol

H Ashby

Likely departures 

J Lascelles (I’d prefer he stays and is 4th choice)

M Targett - done nothing last 2 years

M Alimiron - time to move pn

C Wilson - time to move on

(L Hall - I have no idea - I will assume he leaves)

S Longstaff - cash in on him 

Gain

S Tonali

Y Minteh

New Signings

G Scalvini - covers all 4 defensive positions 

P Hincapie - LB and can dovetail into the 3rd CB like Burn does

LB - ?

6/CM - One of Y Fofana - M Caqueret - J Guerra - to partner Tonali in a 4231

RW - Bakayoko/Neto etc

CF - Sesko and 1 more young striker 

47 minutes ago, Mikky said:

I’d add Alex Murphy to that list 

Hopefully we are in a position to offload this lot:

Dummett

J Lewis

J Hendrick

I Hayden 

M Ritchie

R Fraser

Further Loans

G Kuol

H Ashby

Likely departures 

J Lascelles (I’d prefer he stays and is 4th choice)

M Targett - done nothing last 2 years

M Alimiron - time to move pn

C Wilson - time to move on

(L Hall - I have no idea - I will assume he leaves)

S Longstaff - cash in on him 

Gain

S Tonali

Y Minteh

New Signings

G Scalvini - covers all 4 defensive positions 

P Hincapie - LB and can dovetail into the 3rd CB like Burn does

LB - ?

6/CM - One of Y Fofana - M Caqueret - J Guerra - to partner Tonali in a 4231

RW - Bakayoko/Neto etc

CF - Sesko and 1 more young striker 

That's actually a great list and would be transformational. Would add Kone, Thuram to the midfield list, and Chiesa and Williams to the RW list. 
Probably 200m or more of spend for all that, if not more - so very unlikely
Could be possible if a big departure like Joelinton. 
I think Hall stays but goes out on loan. 
I also can't see the system changing now so whoever is bought will primarily slot into 4-3-3

Edited by kingxlnc

Just can't see us encouraging that much mass turnover in one go. Creates a lot of risk considering FFP too, margin for error is so much tighter and we've seemingly built real team spirit.

The outcasts will rightly go but I think we'll only see a couple of the next tier leave, depending on how much we can fetch per. Feels nailed on the Miggy will, followed by 1 or maybe 2 of Lascelles/Wilson/Targett. 

I reckon 4 or maybe 5 genuine first team squad players in, some straight into first XI contention but others more development/rotation to grow into the campaign.

Edited by Gallowgate Toon

23 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

That's actually a great list and would be transformational. Would add Kone, Thuram to the midfield list, and Chiesa and Williams to the RW list. 
Probably 200m or more of spend for all that, if not more - so very unlikely
Could be possible if a big departure like Joelinton. 
I think Hall stays but goes out on loan. 
I also can't see the system changing now so whoever is bought will primarily slot into 4-3-3

I’d prefer a change in system tbh - my preference has always been a 4231 - the personnel we have for me says 4231 

The “2” - Tonali - Bruno - Miley - CM (one’s I suggested) - means Longstaff is redundant - to get the best out of Tonali he needs a partner - this can also be Bruno tbh - however we need a quality addition regardless - allows Miley to develop at a steadier pace 

I want my RB or LB to step in with the 2 to give us an overload in mid and stop us being done in transition

The “3” - so many options 

LW - Gordon and Barnes with Willock -Joe - Anderson providing cover 

AM - Bruno with tactical flexibility to play Joe - Willock and Anderson to put the opponent off - I want a player in behind Isak hence I want us to move away from a 433

RW - Let’s say Bakayoko with Minteh - Murphy and Gordon as alternatives 

CF - Isak - Sesko and a young forward 

Effectively in Mid and Attack we are losing Miggy, Longstaff and Wilson and replacing them with 4 plus we gain Tonali and Minteh - gives us such a fresh look

Doubt if we are this transformational however I think time is up for Miggy and Wilson - we need to go a different direction.