The other games today - 2013/14

Dave

There were like four people who didn't want Martinez, let's not pretend like that was the common opinion on here :lol:

Nah there was loads, then loads more after his Haidara comments IIRC.

Guest palnese

Arsenal have just given up here. Their team is awful aswell for an Arsenal team. They need a new striker, new right back, one new midfielder and two new wingers if they want to win the league next season and possibly a new manager. Vermaelen is utter shit too, he used to fool people into thinking he was good by scoring the odd goal

They need a new manager. 9 years without a trophy is not acceptable for a club like Arsenal. They might win the cup, but I think Wenger's time is up.

My jealousy of Everton at an all time high right now

I'm jealous too but, I mean, they'll probably have to spend over £40m just to have the exact same squad next season. I really like Martinez and I really like a lot of their players, but I don't think there's any guarantee that they'll sustain this season's form. They need to get into the Champions League, imo. Obviously, today is a massive result but Arsenal will doubtless make it over the line anyway.

Arsenal have just given up here. Their team is awful aswell for an Arsenal team. They need a new striker, new right back, one new midfielder and two new wingers if they want to win the league next season and possibly a new manager. Vermaelen is utter s*** too, he used to fool people into thinking he was good by scoring the odd goal

They need a new manager. 9 years without a trophy is not acceptable for a club like Arsenal. They might win the cup, but I think Wenger's time is up.

Wenger has got them to where they are trophies stadium and all.

I'd kill for what they have

The rules about intra-divisional loaning are never going to get looked at, are they? Such a fucking farce. Would damage the top teams(/"PL brand") too much if they couldn't develop their young'uns with no risk to their own games.

Fucking farce football.

I'm jealous too but, I mean, they'll probably have to spend over £40m just to have the exact same squad next season. I really like Martinez and I really like a lot of their players, but I don't think there's any guarantee that they'll sustain this season's form. They need to get into the Champions League, imo. Obviously, today is a massive result but Arsenal will doubtless make it over the line anyway.

Pards sympathiser tbh

:lol: Oh you.

I'd kill for Martinez, like. Anyone watch MOTD2Extra today (the best football-related show the BBC do, btw)? One of the journalists was talking about how Martinez took Baines to watch ManU/Bayern in order to watch Philip Lahm exlusively, and show how he has developed his game over the years. Just worlds apart, man. Worlds apart.

Pards sympathiser tbh

:lol: Oh you.

I'd kill for Martinez, like. Anyone watch MOTD2Extra today (the best football-related show the BBC do, btw)? One of the journalists was talking about how Martinez took Baines to watch ManU/Bayern in order to watch Philip Lahm exlusively, and show how he has developed his game over the years. Just worlds apart, man. Worlds apart.

:lol: nah I missed it, but god that's depressing. Like you say, worlds apart, that wouldn't even cross Pardews mind.

They're thinking about a long-term strategy of how to develop and utilise one of their prized assets, and being pro-active with it too.

Meanwhile...

And tbh I think that's their single biggest problem. Injuries every single year. Massive ones.

Even if they bring in the strong CM, striker and wide man they need they'll fall apart due to injuries.

You look at everyone else around them . 1 or 2 big players out. Arsenal have 5. Every year.

Another one on Pardew and Martinez, this is Martinez on injuries:

@raymondverheije: R.Martinez: “At my clubs we are always below the average for injuries in league. It’s important. It helps to win games & to be successful.”

Does he rotate his players?

The injuries to Ozil & Ramsey injuries looked inevitable due to them playing all the time, partly because of other injuries. The same with Giroud's drop in form.

There were like four people who didn't want Martinez, let's not pretend like that was the common opinion on here :lol:

I was one of them, and in hindsight I was obviously wrong, but I still think at the time it was a huge gamble for Everton to appoint him. Wigan played some nice football at times under his tenure, but defensively they were all over the park to the point where he got them relegated (despite winning a cup obviously). Still, fortune favours the brave, and here we are, stuck with the biggest coward of all. :(

I was one of them, and in hindsight I was obviously wrong, but I still think at the time it was a huge gamble for Everton to appoint him. They played some nice football at times, but defensively they were all over the park to the point where he got them relegated (despite winning a cup obviously). Still, fortune favours the brave, and here we are, stuck with the biggest coward of all. :(

I was a sceptic aswell and I wish people would stop acting like it was obviously going to work out brilliantly for Everton. Martinez was somebody who never once in about 5 years got his team to be anything other than relegation battlers. There was rightfully doubts about him

Martinez' problems were always defensively - in that sense, Moyes did the hard work for him having created an incredibly solid back four who know each other's game inside out. That's not to take away from what he's done, much better than I imagined he would.

I was one of them, and in hindsight I was obviously wrong, but I still think at the time it was a huge gamble for Everton to appoint him. They played some nice football at times, but defensively they were all over the park to the point where he got them relegated (despite winning a cup obviously). Still, fortune favours the brave, and here we are, stuck with the biggest coward of all. :(

I was a sceptic aswell and I wish people would stop acting like it was obviously going to work out brilliantly for Everton. Martinez was somebody who never once in about 5 years got his team to be anything other than relegation battlers. There was rightfully doubts about him

Or, the other side of the coin, he managed to keep an otherwise terrible team in the PL for years, while not often resorting to the same negative football typical of relegation fodder.